Steering wheel controls?

Watch
JellyFox
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, I have a 2011 limited edition corsa, no idea how relevant that part is but I thought i’d include it just in case it means there’s a difference. I literally also know nothing about cars so sorry if I sound silly or something, I just want to know how to change songs using my steering wheel without having to go on my phone! 😂 I currently play music obviously using my phone and an aux cable. My steering wheel has buttons for volume, changing songs and a few others that I don’t really know of their purpose. I noticed I am able to change the volume of any audio using the scrolling wheel, however I have an up and a down button that can only change the song when I’m playing a CD rather than music from my phone. Is there a reason for this? How can I get it to work with my phone? Probably making a complete fool of myself but as you can tell I’m clueless!!
Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JellyFox)
Hi everyone, I have a 2011 limited edition corsa, no idea how relevant that part is but I thought i’d include it just in case it means there’s a difference. I literally also know nothing about cars so sorry if I sound silly or something, I just want to know how to change songs using my steering wheel without having to go on my phone! 😂 I currently play music obviously using my phone and an aux cable. My steering wheel has buttons for volume, changing songs and a few others that I don’t really know of their purpose. I noticed I am able to change the volume of any audio using the scrolling wheel, however I have an up and a down button that can only change the song when I’m playing a CD rather than music from my phone. Is there a reason for this? How can I get it to work with my phone? Probably making a complete fool of myself but as you can tell I’m clueless!!
When you brought the car, did it come with a manual? That would help, if not it's not the end of the world. I'd suggest just playing around or watch YouTube, but if you can't find it then ask on a corsa forum. I'm sorry I'm not much help, I love cars but not really familiar with really specific questions about certain cars!
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can't.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can't change music over auxiliary.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aux sounds like an analog connection, so no control. You can change the volume because that's purely how much amplification the car system does. If you can connect over USB or Bluetooth, you should be able to change tracks, etc.
JellyFox
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Aux sounds like an analog connection, so no control. You can change the volume because that's purely how much amplification the car system does. If you can connect over USB or Bluetooth, you should be able to change tracks, etc.
So would that mean installing a bluetooth radio?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So would that mean installing a bluetooth radio?
If the standard radio doesn't have it, and isn't upgradable, you'd lose the steering wheel controls, but be able to use the headunit's ones. Does it have USB?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the standard radio doesn't have it, and isn't upgradable, you'd lose the steering wheel controls, but be able to use the headunit's ones. Does it have USB?
Not true. You can retain steering wheel controls and have them work correctly on an aftermarket head unit.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Not true. You can retain steering wheel controls and have them work correctly on an aftermarket head unit.
I stand corrected. What do they need to look for?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any decent aftermarket head unit will work - they'll need a wiring harness like this to enable steering wheel controls to work with the head unit:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/vaux...l-adaptor.html

Source: I owned a Corsa D and had that same wiring harness with a Pioneer SPH-DA120 a few years ago. Worked a treat.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The vasty majority of aftermarket head units are compatible with steering wheel controls. You just need to pick up a "box" which converts one to the other. Connects2 do a large range. So you need to find the box compatible with your car, and then compatible with your head unit, and it just plugs in between the two. Some programming may be required but the included instructions are usually pretty good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads