danc1456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i enjoy both subjects but geography more though. is there any reasons why i should pick one subject over another. i am looking at doing double honours degrees though but there isnt alot of choice for this combination.
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by danc1456)
i enjoy both subjects but geography more though. is there any reasons why i should pick one subject over another. i am looking at doing double honours degrees though but there isnt alot of choice for this combination.
Definitely see if you’ll be able to study them together, I know Durham offer a very flexible Natural Sciences degree which allow this. Also, St Andrews , Birmingham and Keele all offer this combination. I’m not sure where else, but it’s definitely worth looking into!!

If you don’t like any of the universities that offer this, then I’d go with a geography degree seeing as you enjoy it the most. That’s a very good reason to choose it over bio. You’ll find the motivation and the personal statement and just your whole time at uni much easier if you’re really passionate for the subject. Then you could always choose the modules within geography that have a bit of overlap with biology.

Whichever way you decide to do things, it’ll all work out well for you in the end. Best of luck with everything
danc1456
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemmens)
Definitely see if you’ll be able to study them together, I know Durham offer a very flexible Natural Sciences degree which allow this. Also, St Andrews , Birmingham and Keele all offer this combination. I’m not sure where else, but it’s definitely worth looking into!!

If you don’t like any of the universities that offer this, then I’d go with a geography degree seeing as you enjoy it the most. That’s a very good reason to choose it over bio. You’ll find the motivation and the personal statement and just your whole time at uni much easier if you’re really passionate for the subject. Then you could always choose the modules within geography that have a bit of overlap with biology.

Whichever way you decide to do things, it’ll all work out well for you in the end. Best of luck with everything
its business not biology but i see your point. however one concern is jobs. i dont want to become a geography teacher or anything so thats my main problem.
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its business not biology but i see your point. however one concern is jobs. i dont want to become a geography teacher or anything so thats my main problem.
oh my goodness I’m so sorry, I think I was really tired and just read it as biology because my friend was looking at that joint course!!

I think geography is maybe the more respectable degree out of the two, and if you like it the most then that’s even better. I imagine there would be many more options within geography which you could go into, but having that degree will make you employable in other sectors too and won’t limit you. I’d research some of the destinations for geography graduates, and perhaps try and find someone studying it at uni on here to talk to more about the options that degree will open up for you aside from teaching.
danc1456
Rep:
?
oh my goodness I’m so sorry, I think I was really tired and just read it as biology because my friend was looking at that joint course!!

I think geography is maybe the more respectable degree out of the two, and if you like it the most then that’s even better. I imagine there would be many more options within geography which you could go into, but having that degree will make you employable in other sectors too and won’t limit you. I’d research some of the destinations for geography graduates, and perhaps try and find someone studying it at uni on here to talk to more about the options that degree will open up for you aside from teaching.
i currently do A-Level geography so do your reckon i should perhaps speak to one of my teachers about it and see what they think despite me not wanting to go into teaching.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think geography is maybe the more respectable degree out of the two, and if you like it the most then that’s even better. I imagine there would be many more options within geography which you could go into, but having that degree will make you employable in other sectors too and won’t limit you.
This might be the case at A level but definitely not at degree level. As sad as it is, Geography graduates enjoy some of the worst prospects and earn some of the least. Business graduates, on the other hand, do much, much better.

danc1456 If you want to invest in your future career etc, I'd definitely go with a business-oriented degree. However, if you're really passionate about Geography, you may as well do that. At the end of the day, both degrees will provide you with many transferable skills that can be applied in all sorts of professions. :rambo:
lemmens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i currently do A-Level geography so do your reckon i should perhaps speak to one of my teachers about it and see what they think despite me not wanting to go into teaching.
yeah, I think that’d be a really good idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.88%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (22)
17.05%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (23)
17.83%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (17)
13.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (38)
29.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.6%

Watched Threads