Erzand
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by deltaepsilon)
Not taking A-levels or GCSEs. I am an EU applicant, but according to the Cambridge website EU applicants are also invited if deemed to have a realistic chance of admission.

I currently have a 95% weighted average, and my predicted grades for maths are all the equivalent of A*'s (included by my mathematics teacher on the reference). I have done my national olympiad, placing just outside the top 50 out of approx. 20,000 participants (this is verified by a diploma).

To be honest I don't understand how I was rejected without even being interviewed.
I'm an EU applicant as well and got rejected without interview. I have the highest possible grades in Sweden (straight A's), and participated and got an HM (1 point off a Bronze Medal) at the IPhO this summer. I definitely thought my PS was solid enough (current students at Trinity Maths reviewed it) and my reference should have been reliable. I'm honestly quite confused how this wasn't even enough for an interview -- I mean, I understand they have limited space but there wasn't anything more that could be done?

If anyone has any ideas on what could be lacking or someone who got an interview could tell more about themselves it would be appreciated! A little beat down, looked forward to it.
Vorlexx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ShootForTheStars)
You guys obviously didn't opt out of junk emails on the UCAS form
Trust me, I really really did. I guess Bristol is classifying their emails as "important" haha, I almost missed my Cambridge interview email because it arrived at the same time as one from Bristol boasting about their career prospects
Lucci0114
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
For the people applying for Maths, how are you doing with the specimen questions? Like how many of them are you able to answer without any help?
anwargulana
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ktse_02)
*International Applicant
What subject are you applying for?
Engineering (H100)
What are your GCSE grades and A level predicted grades?
11A* 2A (in that is a 7 and a 9 for the new system) for GCSEs
Predicted 4A* (FM, Math, Physics, Chemistry) for A Level
What subject-related activities or supercurriculars have you done?
Robotics team captain, hosted some societies in the school, research projects, work shadowing etc
Why Trinity?
Money (both for student support and research funding)
What other universities are you applying to?Imperial Design Eng, Imperial Materials Science and Eng, Bristol Engineering Design, UCL Mech Eng with Business Finance
Interview invite received on 15/11 for 13/12!
Does anybody have tips for Trinity’s own engineering test given the time limit and the lack of any data and formula booklets? It does seem quite hard...
i have an interview for chem engineering via Natural sciences and the tests seem so hard i have no idea how to prepare... what are you doing for it?
Cheerilee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by anwargulana)
i have an interview for chem engineering via Natural sciences and the tests seem so hard i have no idea how to prepare... what are you doing for it?
Hi! i have an interview for NatSci (Physical) and i feel exactly the same... and have you seen the previous posts in the thread? Do you have any thoughts about the question 7 on the sample paper (NatSci ipp) given on the website? (I assume that we might will have the similar types of paper before the interview?) Anyway i have been really confused about that question and failed to find anyone for help up to now...
btw i guess doing some past papers of those olympiads may help, but those questions on the sample paper seems quite random and might come up covering any parts in those subjects as there is no syllabus
anwargulana
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Cheerilee)
Hi! i have an interview for NatSci (Physical) and i feel exactly the same... and have you seen the previous posts in the thread? Do you have any thoughts about the question 7 on the sample paper (NatSci ipp) given on the website? (I assume that we might will have the similar types of paper before the interview?) Anyway i have been really confused about that question and failed to find anyone for help up to now...
btw i guess doing some past papers of those olympiads may help, but those questions on the sample paper seems quite random and might come up covering any parts in those subjects as there is no syllabus
PM?
sqrt(e/m)=c
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How did the other STEM applicants do in SMC this year?
Thresholds came out this afternoon (100 for BMO; 76 for gold and kangaroo; 61 for silver; 49 for bronze).
modus operandi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
finally found this thread i applied for physical natural sciences v surprised that i got an interview on the 11th! really thought i ****ed the nsaa tbh. chose trinity bc i went on their women in stem summer school and loved it. otherwise I applied for materials science at manchester, birmingham, sheffield and imperial with 9999888A*A*7A at gcse and A*A*A*A (usual suspects chem, physics, maths and fm) predicted. I've participated in UKSDC, done work experience at daresbury labs and an antibody lab + wrote about gbbo in my ps lol
Last edited by modus operandi; 8 months ago
modus operandi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sqrt(e/m)=c)
Thresholds came out this afternoon (100 for BMO; 76 for gold and kangaroo; 61 for silver; 49 for bronze).
got 55 which sounds bad but its decent for my school tbh, second highest in my year haha
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I *think* I got 99 from looking at the mark scheme. My school hasn't told us officially though.
GreenCub
Rep:
?
(Original post by deltaepsilon)
I am very sorry.

I was also rejected without interview – I too, believing my application to be at least worthy of an interview.
^ Just had a thought. Is it possible that the maths qualification in your country (equivalent to UK A-Levels) is of a lower standard than UK A level Maths/Further Maths? It might be the case that the course they do in your country doesn't cover enough material to sufficiently prepare students for the Cambridge course.

Edit: Lucci0114 I've done the first 2 specimen maths tests under timed conditions and am now redoing the questions that I didn't manage to do in the hour. I've been getting 3-4 complete solutions although I think I could have done better if I hadn't panicked and instead had organised my thinking more clearly. How are you finding them? (I'm a little scared to ask in case the competition is significantly better than me...)
Last edited by GreenCub; 8 months ago
Lucci0114
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by GreenCub)
^ Just had a thought. Is it possible that the maths qualification in your country (equivalent to UK A-Levels) is of a lower standard than UK A level Maths/Further Maths? It might be the case that the course they do in your country doesn't cover enough material to sufficiently prepare students for the Cambridge course.

Edit: Lucci0114 I've done the first 2 specimen maths tests under timed conditions and am now redoing the questions that I didn't manage to do in the hour. I've been getting 3-4 complete solutions although I think I could have done better if I hadn't panicked and instead had organised my thinking more clearly. How are you finding them? (I'm a little scared to ask in case the competition is significantly better than me...)
Nahh u've got nothing to worry about. Ive done roughly the same amount altho I havent tried timed conditions, I more or less just try them when I feel like it cause I feel like its not something u can prepare for. Hows the STEP prep going?
GreenCub
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucci0114)
Nahh u've got nothing to worry about. Ive done roughly the same amount altho I havent tried timed conditions, I more or less just try them when I feel like it cause I feel like its not something u can prepare for. Hows the STEP prep going?
I haven't done any papers under timed conditions, but I've worked through the STEP 1 support programme and am currently doing a random mix of STEP 2 questions. I've been focusing more on the interview recently though. How about you?
Lucci0114
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by GreenCub)
I haven't done any papers under timed conditions, but I've worked through the STEP 1 support programme and am currently doing a random mix of STEP 2 questions. I've been focusing more on the interview recently though. How about you?
Oof lemme not lie ive been slacking with the STEP recently. Ive just been doing random STEP1 and 2 questions here and there. STEP 1 is fine tbh bt 2 and 3 need alotta work. Interview is definitely the priority though
Athxrv
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Lucci0114)
For the people applying for Maths, how are you doing with the specimen questions? Like how many of them are you able to answer without any help?
A couple here and there maybe 6 or so, the rest I can't do either because they're too wordy, or just because I haven't learnt the material. Side note: if I don't know the material do I just say I don't know the content?
modus operandi
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Athxrv)
Side note: if I don't know the material do I just say I don't know the content?
that shouldn't be a problem bc of the saq x
GreenCub
Rep:
?
(Original post by Athxrv)
A couple here and there maybe 6 or so, the rest I can't do either because they're too wordy, or just because I haven't learnt the material. Side note: if I don't know the material do I just say I don't know the content?
Do you mean 6 under timed conditions (complete 6 in an hour) or do you mean you can do 6 of them without any help but not timed?
FuryBall
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Erzand)
I'm an EU applicant as well and got rejected without interview. I have the highest possible grades in Sweden (straight A's), and participated and got an HM (1 point off a Bronze Medal) at the IPhO this summer. I definitely thought my PS was solid enough (current students at Trinity Maths reviewed it) and my reference should have been reliable. I'm honestly quite confused how this wasn't even enough for an interview -- I mean, I understand they have limited space but there wasn't anything more that could be done?

If anyone has any ideas on what could be lacking or someone who got an interview could tell more about themselves it would be appreciated! A little beat down, looked forward to it.
This is odd. I think your school should contact Trinity college just in case. Please check with your school about the kinds of documents they sent to the college. They may have made mistakes or couldn't understand how the Swedish system compared to A-levels. It is worth checking because I know some people who were rejected pre-interview last year because their teachers forgot to predict them an A* for further maths (it was an A instead) and this was for Maths + CS back when it existed.
Last edited by FuryBall; 7 months ago
sqrt(e/m)=c
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Are people going to ask a question during their interview? I’ve heard asking questions about your interviewers’ work is a good idea but idrk
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Are people going to ask a question during their interview? I’ve heard asking questions about your interviewers’ work is a good idea but idrk
No. When/if they ask at the end if you have any questions it's usually when there's only a minute or so left of the alloted time.

It's not a point for any in depth discussion or research. It's also a bit disingenuous for you to suddenly bring up a surprise interest in a topic a) you probably haven't spoken about in your application and b) that happens to be their work.

If you have a quick question about the course or anything relating to the uni you might not know, cool go for it, but it's highly likely the other staff/student helpers on hand around interviews or available to contact have or can answer them for you!

They will not find it in any way impressive or great that you're asking them about their own work (which is going to be at a level way beyond you anyway at this point in time tbh).

There was a useful article with an answer on this from the director of admissions for the university in the telegraph earlier this week that I recommend reading.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (7)
17.07%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (11)
26.83%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (23)
56.1%

Watched Threads