What level of dance abilities are there on BA Dance degrees?

Watch
Ellie601
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m applying for dance at uni rather than a conservatoire or dance college as a sort of middle ground for my dad who’s really against me doing it at all. I didn’t do dance a level but have been dancing all my life, ballet, modern, contemporary, commercial, etc, and to a high standard. Having been to the derby open day I was pleased to see that ballet and contemporary classes are still part of the course as I’m very anxious about having to give up my current styles. However, as some people won’t have done ballet before as they accept a level dance without other experience, I’m very aware that the standard will be lower and classes will be basic. Will I be challenged? I’m used to being pushed to perform at a high standard and in all honesty, having looked at videos online of some of the uni dance courses, im not overly impressed and they don’t seem overly picky about who is accepted into the course. I mean absolutely no offence by this to anyone on said courses, but I don’t want to waste my time on a course I won’t enjoy and that won’t push me to become a choreographer and performer (my end goal). Are there any universities that anyone would especially advise against, or on the other hand, any that are to a higher standard? Thank you!
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be honest I wouldln't expect that high a standard on some of those courses. Have you considered dance degree courses at vocational colleges (as opposed to diploma courses).

Off the top of my head Performers, Bird, Hammond, Creative Academy, Italia Conti, LIPA, LSC & Urdang all offer degrees. RAD also offer degrees that I think sre more geared towards teaching.

I do know of someone who went to Derby and they left as they were not happy with the standard.
welcometotherock
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have heard positive feedback about Edge Hill, Chichester and UCLAN.
University of Chichester
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ellie601)
I’m applying for dance at uni rather than a conservatoire or dance college as a sort of middle ground for my dad who’s really against me doing it at all. I didn’t do dance a level but have been dancing all my life, ballet, modern, contemporary, commercial, etc, and to a high standard. Having been to the derby open day I was pleased to see that ballet and contemporary classes are still part of the course as I’m very anxious about having to give up my current styles. However, as some people won’t have done ballet before as they accept a level dance without other experience, I’m very aware that the standard will be lower and classes will be basic. Will I be challenged? I’m used to being pushed to perform at a high standard and in all honesty, having looked at videos online of some of the uni dance courses, im not overly impressed and they don’t seem overly picky about who is accepted into the course. I mean absolutely no offence by this to anyone on said courses, but I don’t want to waste my time on a course I won’t enjoy and that won’t push me to become a choreographer and performer (my end goal). Are there any universities that anyone would especially advise against, or on the other hand, any that are to a higher standard? Thank you!
Hi Ellie601, we have lots of different strands of Dance courses available at Chichester. We have Dance, Dance Performance, Dance Studies and Dance Science. There are high contact hours within all courses with the option to take additional daily technical classes too, and taking part in other years choreography pieces for their modules. In third year, you can audition to be a part of 3Fall which is a third year dance company that counts as a module but you go on tour performing around the UK.

Have a look at our Dance courses on the website for more detail: https://www.chi.ac.uk/department-dance/our-courses

You'll have the opportunity to take part in a taster session as a part of our Open Day if you're interested, you can book onto an Open Day here: chi.ac.uk/opendays

If you have any more questions or queries, feel free to ask!
UCLan Student
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Ellie601

Why not have a look at the BA (hons) Dance Performance and Teaching course here at UCLan. This course looks like it may be what you’re looking for.

https://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/ba_h...e_teaching.php

Dance and drama courses at UCLan are nationally ranked in the UK Top 20 according to The Guardian University Guide 2020.

From a student’s point of view, Preston is perfectly placed to develop a performing arts career with its easy access to both Manchester and Liverpool and the course provides for you to undertake workshops and teaching across the region to develop your choreography skills

It has great sporting facilities too to keep your fitness levels up outside of your classes with free gym membership for all students. Students are well supported academically and there is good pastoral support too. The city itself is vibrant and friendly with a large student population.

Details of our open days can be found here

https://www.uclan.ac.uk/together/index.html

Good luck if you decide to apply and if you have any more questions post them here for us.
EmilyRuth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Ellie, I did the BA Dance Performance degree at Middlesex University and would really recommend it. The focus is mainly on contemporary styles but ballet classes are compulsory and there are modules that look at other styles street/jazz etc. We were split into ballet groups depending on our experience which was great (beginner/inter/advanced). All of the classes are at a very high standard and push you to improve. Here is a link to the course page https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/underg...ce-performance.
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Ellie601

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed our open day!

Our ballet classes are taught by experience level, rather than by year group, so classes are mixed across all three year groups depending on ability. This means that you would be dancing with students with a similar experience and ability level to yourself and wouldn’t need to start from a basic level.
Our Dance programme leader Liz Foster teaches the advanced ballet class, Liz also teaches on the CAT programme for Dance4 and has worked on projects with Royal Ballet School so has a background of teaching ballet to a high level.
We offer a technique class every day on our programme which is unusual for a degree course, but we want to train bodies as well as minds and this is a good way to do just that!
Our Dance applicants are invited to attend an audition with us, which gives you a chance to get a feel for some of the course content and what it is like to study Dance with us.

I hope this helps, but if you have any more questions about our Dance course please let me know!

Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (54)
18.12%
No one else does (94)
31.54%
I'm embarrassed about my background (32)
10.74%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (99)
33.22%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.01%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.01%

Watched Threads