Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’ve recently started uni and my laptop (HP Streamer) has stopped working after only a year and I’m looking for a new laptop which will last for 5+ years.

I’m doing Law so I need a laptop with Word, PowerPoint etc on it (preferably Microsoft laptop). I want something small and light, with 13-14 inch screen.

My budget is around £250-600.

I’m considering getting either:
- Microsoft Surface Pro
- Lenovo Ideapad
- Huawei Matebook X Pro
- Chromebook

Let me know your thoughts on these laptops (the pros and cons of each) and any other laptops you would recommend

PS. anything but a Macbook - far too expensive
meminisse19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Surface pro is brilliant, I have one.

Pros:
-Is a tablet but runs windows 10 so has full capabilities of any other laptop while having touch screen and other tablet benefits.
-Portable, sleek, looks and feels nice
-Great display and decent specs
-Good battery life and overall system life

Cons
-Getting a decent one (4 or later) with decent storage/processing can be quite expensive (£800+)
-Does not come with keyboard or stylus these need to be bought separately
-Physically, it’s built as a tablet and the keyboard accessory is quite thin and light so it’s almost impossible to use it on your lap like a normal laptop. On desks etc it’s perfect though. Without a desk it’s better to just take off the keyboard and use as a tablet
-Susceptible to screen cracking and damage
jamiebishop
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know you said no MacBook’s, but the Air is roughly £1,000 with education discount, which includes free beats.

If you definitely can’t do that then I’d get a decent Surface Pro, but a good one will cost you around the same as a MacBook. (The post above mine explains all of this very well!)
Last edited by jamiebishop; 2 months ago
Lilyeve1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
don't go for a Chromebook. they run of a different software ( Chrome OS) so as they are not as common you are unable to download everything thing however I have one and they quite good with only being a occasional issue. ( My school gives everyone one for free)
giothevanna11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have a Matebook X Pro, so I can give you my opions on it if you want:

Pros
- The screen - The 3:2 aspect ratio means that it's ideal for productivity, since you can see more on your screen at any one time (not to mention the lack of webcam makes the screen look so much 'bigger' and overall a lot nicer imo!)
- Runs well - You can get 8-10+ hours of battery life with light use, loading/bootup times are speedy
- Super thin and light - Perfect for taking around uni
- Cool extra features - Touchscreen, fingerprint reader, etc.

Cons
- Lots of people have mixed feelings towards Huawei given all of the recent news stories surrounding the company (personally I don't see it as much of an issue and don't let it bother me, but I guess it might be a deal breaker for others)
- The webcam - Ideal if you're a little paranoid about privacy, though the angle isn't ideal. But I'm planning to buy an external/USB webcam for the rare occassions I'm planning to use my webcam, so that doesn't bother me at all
- Since it's a new laptop that hasn't been around for long, my main worry before I bought mine was the estimated lifespan of the laptop (since I also didn't want one that died after a year haha) - but considering the quality of the laptop, I'm hoping/expecting it to last me at least 3-4 years, if not more
- Price - Not a whole lot cheaper than a Macbook
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
#LaptopsNetbooksandTabletsExists
Anonymous #1
Damn I thought the Surface Pro came with the keyboard and pen. That’s disappointing, I was seriously considering buying one. Thanks for informing me though

(Original post by meminisse19)
Surface pro is brilliant, I have one.

Pros:
-Is a tablet but runs windows 10 so has full capabilities of any other laptop while having touch screen and other tablet benefits.
-Portable, sleek, looks and feels nice
-Great display and decent specs
-Good battery life and overall system life

Cons
-Getting a decent one (4 or later) with decent storage/processing can be quite expensive (£800+)
-Does not come with keyboard or stylus these need to be bought separately
-Physically, it’s built as a tablet and the keyboard accessory is quite thin and light so it’s almost impossible to use it on your lap like a normal laptop. On desks etc it’s perfect though. Without a desk it’s better to just take off the keyboard and use as a tablet
-Susceptible to screen cracking and damage
Anonymous #1
I thought so. So what laptop would you recommend?
(Original post by Lilyeve1)
don't go for a Chromebook. they run of a different software ( Chrome OS) so as they are not as common you are unable to download everything thing however I have one and they quite good with only being a occasional issue. ( My school gives everyone one for free)
Anonymous #1
That information is actually quite helpful, thank you. It is out of my price range but I am (reluctantly) willing to explore outside of it. How large is the storage space?
(Original post by giothevanna11)
I have a Matebook X Pro, so I can give you my opions on it if you want:

Pros
- The screen - The 3:2 aspect ratio means that it's ideal for productivity, since you can see more on your screen at any one time (not to mention the lack of webcam makes the screen look so much 'bigger' and overall a lot nicer imo!)
- Runs well - You can get 8-10+ hours of battery life with light use, loading/bootup times are speedy
- Super thin and light - Perfect for taking around uni
- Cool extra features - Touchscreen, fingerprint reader, etc.

Cons
- Lots of people have mixed feelings towards Huawei given all of the recent news stories surrounding the company (personally I don't see it as much of an issue and don't let it bother me, but I guess it might be a deal breaker for others)
- The webcam - Ideal if you're a little paranoid about privacy, though the angle isn't ideal. But I'm planning to buy an external/USB webcam for the rare occassions I'm planning to use my webcam, so that doesn't bother me at all
- Since it's a new laptop that hasn't been around for long, my main worry before I bought mine was the estimated lifespan of the laptop (since I also didn't want one that died after a year haha) - but considering the quality of the laptop, I'm hoping/expecting it to last me at least 3-4 years, if not more
- Price - Not a whole lot cheaper than a Macbook
Anonymous #1
What’s that supposed to mean :confused:

Anonymous #1
Thanks for this but I really don’t want a MacBook😂 I have nothing against them, it’s just not my preference

Lilyeve1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I thought so. So what laptop would you recommend?
I have a Lenovo one from 4 or 5 years ago. it's touch screen. runs on Windows 10.

only problem is that it does not hold the charge for long so must be always charging
giothevanna11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
That information is actually quite helpful, thank you. It is out of my price range but I am (reluctantly) willing to explore outside of it. How large is the storage space?
My laptop is 256 GB but you can upgrade to more (although that quickly gets a lot more pricey). I currently use - and will use - online cloud storage for the majority, if not all, of my work -- Google Drive is a blessing!! You can also buy external storage which'll probably work out cheaper than adding storage to the laptop itself, if you feel like you'll need more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (160)
19.37%
Labour (420)
50.85%
Liberal Democrats (111)
13.44%
Green Party (46)
5.57%
Brexit Party (12)
1.45%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)