ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
"I know the answer, but I'm not telling you".
Pathetic!

So it's confirmed that you weren't aware of the EU Reform Deal and its relevance to the referendum. Gosh.
In that case, how could you possibly have voted against it? (Don't worry, I have a suspicion that this applies to the majority of Leave voters)
I can't believe that you're making such a fuss about Mr Cameron's piece of **** reform deal, it merely served to prove exactly how little the EU respects the thoughts of it's citizens which, unfortunately, we still are.
Oh and before you ask no I don't now remember the exact details due to the length of time that has passed since I last read them and the general crapness of the terms in the first place, but in my view any deal which meant us staying within the EU would have been and still is a bad one, so on that front in my case you are partly correct as my mind was already made up before the sham of a reform deal.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
I can't believe that you're making such a fuss about Mr Cameron's piece of **** reform deal, it merely served to prove exactly how little the EU respects the thoughts of it's citizens which, unfortunately, we still are.
Oh and before you ask no I don't now remember the exact details due to the length of time that has passed since I last read them and the general crapness of the terms in the first place, but in my view any deal which meant us staying within the EU would have been and still is a bad one, so on that front in my case you are partly correct as my mind was already made up before the sham of a reform deal.
Lol he got next to nothing mate.

The best thing he got was a supposed "red card" mechanism. If a certain percentage of national parliaments agree, they could effectively block or veto a commission proposal and a commitment make sure Britain was exempt from an "ever closer union" to be written into the treaties.

He wanted all sort and basically got told to go and suck an egg. The changes he did get were legally binding but I dont believe the agreement ever got signed because of the leave vote in 2016. From memory the EU told him to suck a nut regarding controlling EU migrants claiming tax credits and child benefit he wanted to make sure they lived here and contribute for four years before claiming. The EU said "sit on my middle finger" to his promises of changes to the working time directive, which from my eyes isn't a bad thing but still.

It was basically as you say quote served to prove exactly how little the EU respects the thoughts of it's citizens which, unfortunately, we still are. About bang on mate. I love it how condescending and insulting remainers are, they are so sure they are intellectually superior thet dont even read what is said before boasting and waving their metaphorical pitchforks in the air.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t really talk about Brexit with my friends. They know I voted leave, and I know they mostly voted remain. Doesn’t make a difference, we talk about other things.
somedude95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm curious as to how many people on here regularly encounter others with opposing views on Brexit and if this is the case then how do you get on these people.
I myself have a few family members and friends who are remainers, but when discussing the rights and wrongs of each others views we have never fallen out.
From what I can gather the vast majority of people just want to get it out of the way and are accepting of both what others feel and the result of the referendum.
Is mine an isolated experience or is it what is actually the state of play in the nation?
its the brave new world bruh
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my friendship circles it's remain central so only disagreements are on tiny things, really. Most do seem to also be accepting of some kind of softer brexit (a decent withdrawal agreement, basically).

Talks with family about brexit are wildly more variable. My dad more or less believes all politicians are useless and that any outcome is a bit crap but managable at the end of the day (a fair enough assessment tbf). My mum is a "get brexit done" person who doesn't seem to care how brexit is done. She is not politically well read at all though and misses a lot of the nitty gritty and the nuance. My uncle liked May's deal, but is now a hard brexit boi after that fell through.

I can still have civil conversations with the fam about it because I have no interest in starting a heated argument just for my personal opinion, but finding common ground gets difficult.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
In my friendship circles it's remain central so only disagreements are on tiny things, really. Most do seem to also be accepting of some kind of softer brexit (a decent withdrawal agreement, basically).

Talks with family about brexit are wildly more variable. My dad more or less believes all politicians are useless and that any outcome is a bit crap but managable at the end of the day (a fair enough assessment tbf). My mum is a "get brexit done" person who doesn't seem to care how brexit is done. She is not politically well read at all though and misses a lot of the nitty gritty and the nuance. My uncle liked May's deal, but is now a hard brexit boi after that fell through.

I can still have civil conversations with the fam about it because I have no interest in starting a heated argument just for my personal opinion, but finding common ground gets difficult.
That's good to hear, it's very important to be able to express views and also be able to listen to alternative opinions, but even more important is the need to be able to accept this and amicably agree to disagree.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So you admit that you didn't take the EU Reform Deal into account when you voted Leave.

no I don't now remember the exact details due to the length of time that has passed
So you admit that the events were sooo long ago that you can't even remember them, but those events must still constitute everyone's current position. lol.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Lol he got next to nothing mate.

The best thing he got was a supposed "red card" mechanism. If a certain percentage of national parliaments agree, they could effectively block or veto a commission proposal and a commitment make sure Britain was exempt from an "ever closer union" to be written into the treaties.

He wanted all sort and basically got told to go and suck an egg. The changes he did get were legally binding but I dont believe the agreement ever got signed because of the leave vote in 2016. From memory the EU told him to suck a nut regarding controlling EU migrants claiming tax credits and child benefit he wanted to make sure they lived here and contribute for four years before claiming. The EU said "sit on my middle finger" to his promises of changes to the working time directive, which from my eyes isn't a bad thing but still.

It was basically as you say quote served to prove exactly how little the EU respects the thoughts of it's citizens which, unfortunately, we still are. About bang on mate. I love it how condescending and insulting remainers are, they are so sure they are intellectually superior thet dont even read what is said before boasting and waving their metaphorical pitchforks in the air.
lol! You've never read it. You didn't even know it existed until I told you yesterday.
Brexit In A Nutshell™
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
lol! You've never read it. You didn't even know it existed until I told you yesterday.
Brexit In A Nutshell™
You really are amazing, you openly say things like statements like "the people" are mostly idiots You're very own words from a few days ago as you proclaim self brilliance and inferiority of everyone else. Do you not see how statements like this above are condescending and bigoted? I think the only reason people are not all over you is the ridiculous remain biast on the forum.

I'm not the best at keeping quiet let be honest, I have spoken about the cameron deal a few times the reason it doesn't come up much is because its absolutely irrelevant. Here we go here is me mentioning something I did not know about a few weeks back in #48

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6138072&page=3

I dont know how I managed it, I mean if you say I didn't know about It I must not, afterall who am i with my mere mortal level if intelligence to say otherwise :rolleyes:
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
You really are amazing,
Thank you.

you openly say things like statements like "the people" are mostly idiots You're very own words from a few days ago
And I stand by that. It's what the evidence suggests.

as you proclaim self brilliance and inferiority of everyone else.
Ah, now this is an example of a straw man for you.
I never claimed that everyone else was inferior to me. That would obviously be nonsense. I just said that "the people are mostly idiots". I accept that there are many people of intellectual superiority to myself. I've even encountered some on TSR over the years.

Do you not see how statements like this above are condescending and bigoted?
Somewhat condescending, perhaps. Bigoted, no. Simply disagreeing with people, and pointing out their errors is not "bigotry".

I think the only reason people are not all over you is the ridiculous remain biast on the forum.
No. The reason is that my points are generally logical, reasonable and supported by evidence. Something you seem unable to grasp due to your own "bias" (no 't'. "Biast" is not even a word. Sorry to sound condescending, but meh)

I have spoken about the cameron deal a few times the reason it doesn't come up much is because its absolutely irrelevant. Here we go here is me mentioning something I did not know about a few weeks back in #48
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6138072&page=3
Fair enough. You did mention "the deal negotiated by Cameron", but you thought that Cameron had rejected it (he didn't, he supported it) and that it would not be available if the UK Remained - again not true.

I dont know how I managed it, I mean if you say I didn't know about It I must not, afterall who am i with my mere mortal level if intelligence to say otherwise
There are some other inaccuracies in that post, so if you did read it, you didn't understand it.

For example, you claim that Oettinger is trying to "make an example of Britain" by wanting to phase out the rebate. He has stated that every country's rebate should be scrapped, so he can't be "making an example of Britain". Also, the rebate wasn't part of the EU Reform Deal.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
So you admit that you didn't take the EU Reform Deal into account when you voted Leave.

So you admit that the events were sooo long ago that you can't even remember them, but those events must still constitute everyone's current position. lol.
Did you read all of my post, I freely admit that the EU reform deal had no part in my thoughts when voting to leave, I voted for UKIP in 2015 because I wanted leave the EU, and for that reason only, so the reform deal was too little too late for me.
If you feel that in some way makes my opinion any less valid then that is your problem not mine.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Thank you.

And I stand by that. It's what the evidence suggests.

Ah, now this is an example of a straw man for you.
I never claimed that everyone else was inferior to me. That would obviously be nonsense. I just said that "the people are mostly idiots". I accept that there are many people of intellectual superiority to myself. I've even encountered some on TSR over the years.

Somewhat condescending, perhaps. Bigoted, no. Simply disagreeing with people, and pointing out their errors is not "bigotry".

No. The reason is that my points are generally logical, reasonable and supported by evidence. Something you seem unable to grasp due to your own "bias" (no 't'. "Biast" is not even a word. Sorry to sound condescending, but meh)

Fair enough. You did mention "the deal negotiated by Cameron", but you thought that Cameron had rejected it (he didn't, he supported it) and that it would not be available if the UK Remained - again not true.

There are some other inaccuracies in that post, so if you did read it, you didn't understand it.

For example, you claim that Oettinger is trying to "make an example of Britain" by wanting to phase out the rebate. He has stated that every country's rebate should be scrapped, so he can't be "making an example of Britain". Also, the rebate wasn't part of the EU Reform Deal.
It was not rejected by Cameron it was rejected by the electorate i dont believe it was ever signed, I think if we revoke we stay on current terms and I dint believe Cameron's renegotiation ever came into force.

I missed out deal after Cameron, apologies however the next sentence does clearly state what I meant.

The adult response from yourself would be, sorry burton I was wrong you clearly did no about Cameron's renegotiation I take back all the names I called you in haste I was wrong.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In terms of family and family friends they all either voted to leave or are politically apathetic (generally Old Labour types in views but floating voters who don't tend to vote Tory or Labour). Of those one has gone from apathetic to leave, one is now almost 19 but would vote leave and one has gone from leave to remain. Generally speaking if your family is poor and near Bradford you have a very negative view of immigration especially which is why the Kippers in 2015 did so well round here even if its not so much EU immigration that is the problem (i did not so much vote for immigration as sovereignty but i'm more educated and generally Tory).

In terms of friends most of them are probably more middle class but they all voted to leave. It's a fairly Tory group though so not representative of young folk at large (suburban west Yorkshire is pretty heavily leave in general though).

Finally among my work colleagues (or those i gleamed information out of) the split was 5-3 to remain with nobody having changed their view so far as i know. One of the remoaners though is the type to consider leavers racist.

Generally speaking i don't think what i have found is that surprising. For all the talk of a divided country and Remain-Leave being close the reality is that most of the country geographically is supportive of Brexit with highly concentrated Remain pockets. Those pockets however are urban and population heavy.
Last edited by Rakas21; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.38%
No (213)
76.62%

Watched Threads