The Student Room Group

Maths and Veterinary Medicine

Because of an extended hospital stay, I missed my 2nd and 3rd years of high school. I'm now in S4 and want to do veterinary medicine at Glasgow, which requires higher maths or physics (which I'm not taking)
Because of my absence I'm taking a National 4 maths course this year, which means I won't be able to take Higher Maths until my 6th year.
All my other classes are National 5, so if I achieve all the necessary grades for S5 and fulfill the additional requirements, will I still be considered? Or do i need to have taken Higher Maths in 5th year?
Sorry if this is badly worded.
Original post by RCBaxter
Because of an extended hospital stay, I missed my 2nd and 3rd years of high school. I'm now in S4 and want to do veterinary medicine at Glasgow, which requires higher maths or physics (which I'm not taking)
Because of my absence I'm taking a National 4 maths course this year, which means I won't be able to take Higher Maths until my 6th year.
All my other classes are National 5, so if I achieve all the necessary grades for S5 and fulfill the additional requirements, will I still be considered? Or do i need to have taken Higher Maths in 5th year?
Sorry if this is badly worded.

Firstly I would recommend that you don't just think about Glasgow, but consider applying to Edinburgh and two English universities as well, as this will maximise your chance of getting an offer. To answer your question more specifically is difficult, under the circumstances as long as you take 5 Highers in 5th year and obtain the required grades they MAY let you sit your Higher maths or physics in 6th year along with your Advanced Higher biology and Advanced Higher chemistry. I recommend that you email the admissions office for Edinburgh and Glasgow and ask them the question specifically and give them the details of your specific circumstances, only then can you be confident that the answer you get is correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending