Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I've got two interviews, but... I want something from Birmingham... UCAS has been processed since the 26th of October, and I've heard nothing from Brum. I've got interviews at UCE and Newman, but they can't offer me anything till after those, but Birmingham don't interview for English... I just want to know if they'll have me...

It would be so nice to be wanted...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we all know what you mean. I got an offer from Glasgow a couple of days after my form was processed (29th of October), but it seems that their Arts Faculty just doles out offers quickly to anyone vaguely competent. So now I'm worried, as I haven't even got any confirmation emails/letters.

I have nothing at all.
    Not a sausage.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it - when I applied last yr, I didn't get some of my offers thru till January!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't hear anything until March last year and my form was processed in early october. Its just a waiting game i'm afraid. Good luck

(Original post by Sarky)
    I didn't hear anything until March last year and my form was processed in early october. Its just a waiting game i'm afraid. Good luck
    That is what I am afraid of..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    it seems that their Arts Faculty just doles out offers quickly to anyone vaguely competent.
    wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Don't say such things. I can't wait that long

ReputationRep:
    well..my form was processed on the 13th Oct and i still haven't heard anything from either durham or bristol- my 2 faves!! so we're all still waiting....*drums fingers on table*

loads of my friends have heard nothing from anyone n their forms were in earlia than mine-they were more organised than me! hehe

so don't worry-i'm sure u'l hear from someone soon- i can feel it!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope I do... I'm on a scheme meaning that because I'm from a so-called 'lowerclass' background I get my requirements dropped (yipeee!) from AAB to either BBB or ABC (hopefully) but it also means that they've got twice as many forms to do for me Got an interview at Newman on Wednesday. I don't really want to go there, but it's a backup...

It's the dirty concrete buildings... they don't even compare to the glorious redbrick and domes of birmingham

*sobs*

I really want to go to Brum...

ReputationRep:
    Thats stupid. Once again the better average person gets disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    I got an offer from Glasgow a couple of days after my form was processed (29th of October), but it seems that their Arts Faculty just doles out offers quickly to anyone vaguely competent.
    Anyone vaguely competent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    I presume you're talking about the scheme. It's only because the university want to bring in people who wouldn't normally go to university - i.e. people who's parents haven't been to university, people of a lower income bracket and people with a fairly average education. The majority of people at university (according to some figures that I can't remember) come from backgrounds that include higher wages and private education.

It's not just a free ride tho - all those on the scheme have to go to the university for a few days over easter, and again after the exams in July. Then they have a fairly large assignment off us, to be delivered to them before exam results.

To be fair, I could meet the original requirements, but this is the way I get a better chance of getting into my first choice university.

It's an insentive for people to apply, rather than a scheme who's intent is to leave people out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    And, without meaning to sound arrogant, I'm probably what you'd call the 'better average' person anyway... my grades are high, and I do subjects that they want for the course.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.