The Student Room Group

cyberstart assess question 14

I need help with cyberstart assess question 14 . I just need some hints tbh

Scroll to see replies

i could try but how do you accsees q!4 and i am still stuffed for Q11 so help appreciated but happy to help on the rest and i could give hints for 14 once i can access so if some one could tell me how to i would help and help greatly appreciated
I'll give you an overview answer for Q11 (also stuck on 14) - The form isn't calling the correct function (I believe there were some comments in the html stating it was temporarily inserted). To find the correct function call to replace it with I use the Console with some words of choice and see what pops up that looks like something that should deal with what the form is doing. You don't need to use the Console for anything else, just get the function name and replace it in the HTML before clicking the button. If you need further advice, ask, but try playing around with this first.
Original post by markbennison
I'll give you an overview answer for Q11 (also stuck on 14) - The form isn't calling the correct function (I believe there were some comments in the html stating it was temporarily inserted). To find the correct function call to replace it with I use the Console with some words of choice and see what pops up that looks like something that should deal with what the form is doing. You don't need to use the Console for anything else, just get the function name and replace it in the HTML before clicking the button. If you need further advice, ask, but try playing around with this first.

thanks got it now
Original post by Joshinator
thanks got it now

Someone else said they just pasted the script from inside that function into the console with the magic number switched for one much higher. I guess that's what you're supposed to do. Found the answer to 14 though!
Ok, so 14 pulls in data in the JSON format through three APIs (one for each page) but the first one isn't working because it's the wrong one. Using the Network (XHR filter) and Console tabs in Chrome it's possible to solve. I admittedly used Postman, a free software application that I could configure in a similar way to the working APIs, but then I learned how it could all have been done easier in Chrome. Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Ok, so 14 pulls in data in the JSON format through three APIs (one for each page) but the first one isn't working because it's the wrong one. Using the Network (XHR filter) and Console tabs in Chrome it's possible to solve. I admittedly used Postman, a free software application that I could configure in a similar way to the working APIs, but then I learned how it could all have been done easier in Chrome. Good luck!

Can you explain 14 again, in a bit simpler way? How do you do it in Chrome?
Reply 7
Someone else said they just pasted the script from inside that function into the console with the magic number switched for one much higher. I guess that's what you're supposed to do. Found the answer to 14 though!

Hi, I have really been struggling with challenge 14. I know that the network shows the requests to get each tab, but the 1st one's not working. I've been looking through the network tab for ages but unfortunately haven't found anything. Am I meant to be looking in the other places?

Edit: Never mind, I've solved it! :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Florant
Can you explain 14 again, in a bit simpler way? How do you do it in Chrome?

Hi, I'm willing to help you, I literally just solved it. Unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out how to do it in chrome, so there's two other ways I can show you. Can you install either Firefox, or Postman?
im on firefox, what do i change balances to
Reply 10
Original post by CLAYBERRI
im on firefox, what do i change balances to

Alright, so API is a way of interacting with applications.

1) On Firefox, you'll need to use the networks tab, to see all the requests.
2) On the network tab, press XHR, to enable the XHR filter. (And ignore any XHR request called "api". It's not related to the challenge)
(XHR is short for XMLhttpRequest - In a way, allows websites to fetch data from a server, and actively update a website without refresh - Exactly the requests we need)
3) Press all the tabs on the banking app (in the virtual phone), to see all the requests made in the Network tabs. (Have a quick look through the request details tabs for each response.)
4) Double Click each of the requests you made and you should see the response received with these requests (which are in JSON format)
(JSON is JavaScript Object Notation is a useful, multipurpose way of showing data.)

5) In this case, you'll see the request URLs of each of the XHR requests have a different end, that's our API.
Now scroll down. Can you see that at the bottom of the responses of those XHR requests, all of these requests have the same parent link? It would make sense that there would probably be something important there - right?

Now the reason you're using Firefox now, is because Firefox easily allows you to edit and resend the network requests =>

6) Go back to the challenge, and now select one of the XHR requests in the tabs, and in the Headers section, click Edit and Resend. You should see the request header details, and the request body. The correct API token is already in the request body, so you shouldn't get the "No API Token Provided" problem, (unless you fail the next step)

7) Change the Request URL into the parent link you found earlier and press send. Make sure that request URL is EXACTLY the same as the parent link - or you'll be trying to access the wrong section - and may receive the "No API Token" problem

8) Open the new request, (by double clicking on the new request), and if you managed to do step 7, you'll see what you've been looking for, for a long time.

9) Hopefully, you should be able to do this final step on your own, using some of the steps I've already shown you. But if you can't, just ask. Hope I helped :smile:!
P.S. The only reason I chose to help was so anyone looking could learn how to deal with challenges like this - so please try to understand what your doing in each step: CyberStart Game will only get harder.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by dogyX3
Hi, I'm willing to help you, I literally just solved it. Unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out how to do it in chrome, so there's two other ways I can show you. Can you install either Firefox, or Postman

Saw your previous comment, I'll try it. Thanks a lot!
Reply 12
Original post by Florant
Saw your previous comment, I'll try it. Thanks a lot!

Go for it! Cyberstart wants us to help each other anyway - so any problems - let me know.
Reply 13
Got it to work! Thanks for the help. I understand what you did, why you did it. I was trying to do this, but Chrome doesn't have this feature which is fairly important for the challenge. Thank you again.
what is the last step for question fourteen.
ive got the api but i do not know how to use it
please
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Well, once you've got the correct api, you'll have to use steps 6, 7 and 8 again, only this time, use the new link, instead of the parent link
Otherwise if you try using the api, it'll say "No API Token Provided".

Editing one of the original XHR requests, means the correct API token is already in the request. The request body contains the token.
(edited 4 years ago)
thankyou so much.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by dogyX3
Well, once you've got the correct api, you'll have to use steps 6, 7 and 8 again, only this time, use the new link, instead of the parent link
Otherwise if you try using the api, it'll say "No API Token Provided".

Editing one of the original XHR requests, means the correct API token is already in the request. The request body contains the token.

I followed your exact steps on firefox but I still couldn't get the new API, Am I doing something wrong?
Original post by dogyX3
Alright, so API is a way of interacting with applications.

1) On Firefox, you'll need to use the networks tab, to see all the requests.
2) On the network tab, press XHR, to enable the XHR filter. (And ignore any XHR request called "api". It's not related to the challenge)
(XHR is short for XMLhttpRequest - In a way, allows websites to fetch data from a server, and actively update a website without refresh - Exactly the requests we need)
3) Press all the tabs on the banking app (in the virtual phone), to see all the requests made in the Network tabs. (Have a quick look through the request details tabs for each response.)
4) Double Click each of the requests you made and you should see the response received with these requests (which are in JSON format)
(JSON is JavaScript Object Notation is a useful, multipurpose way of showing data.)

5) In this case, you'll see the request URLs of each of the XHR requests have a different end, that's our API.
Now scroll down. Can you see that at the bottom of the responses of those XHR requests, all of these requests have the same parent link? It would make sense that there would probably be something important there - right?

Now the reason you're using Firefox now, is because Firefox easily allows you to edit and resend the network requests =>

6) Go back to the challenge, and now select one of the XHR requests in the tabs, and in the Headers section, click Edit and Resend. You should see the request header details, and the request body. The correct API token is already in the request body, so you shouldn't get the "No API Token Provided" problem, (unless you fail the next step)

7) Change the Request URL into the parent link you found earlier and press send. Make sure that request URL is EXACTLY the same as the parent link - or you'll be trying to access the wrong section - and may receive the "No API Token" problem

8) Open the new request, (by double clicking on the new request), and if you managed to do step 7, you'll see what you've been looking for, for a long time.

9) Hopefully, you should be able to do this final step on your own, using some of the steps I've already shown you. But if you can't, just ask. Hope I helped :smile:!
P.S. The only reason I chose to help was so anyone looking could learn how to deal with challenges like this - so please try to understand what your doing in each step: CyberStart Game will only get harder.

Tried doing this, but it didn't work for me (I am using Firefox), any ideas where I might have gone wrong?
Original post by Marcus W
Tried doing this, but it didn't work for me (I am using Firefox), any ideas where I might have gone wrong?

Never mind, I just accidently skipped a simple step

Quick Reply