The Student Room Group

Savings

Simple q (I think) - as a general rule of thumb should you aim to have less money in ur current account (I’m a student) than in your savings?

But if I need to top up my current account, I wouldn’t be able to just take money out of my savings? (I don’t have an overdraft/I’m w Lloyd’s)
Original post by unknowntsr
Simple q (I think) - as a general rule of thumb should you aim to have less money in ur current account (I’m a student) than in your savings?

But if I need to top up my current account, I wouldn’t be able to just take money out of my savings? (I don’t have an overdraft/I’m w Lloyd’s)

I have a student bank (savings) and a current account (spending). I transfer a set amount on sunday to the current account and what ever doesnt get spent gets transferred back. Can't you just sdo something like that?
Original post by unknowntsr

Typically it depends on the type of savings account. If it's easy access and there's no limit/penalty on withdrawals then you could leave only what you think you'll need in your current account and dip into your savings only if you need to.

I'd recommend doing a budget and seeing what you typically have left each month, then setting up a regular routine to put the excess into a savings account. Review it in a month or two to see if it's the most appropriate (i.e. if you think you can put £50 a month away, but two months down the line you discover you could probably do £75 and not have to dip into savings, change it. Similarly, if you start off with £50 but find you dip into your savings for around £20 extra, reduce the monthly amount to £30/£25 going forward).

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending