Macromolecular
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

Literally lost for words and can't think due to the amount of time I've spend composing a research proposal for PhD consideration.

Can someone put this back into words for me because I've gone blank!

So, I want to research the effects of vertigo on females. I am using different data methods - questionnaires, blood samples, neuro data etc.

How can I say - I will be analysing several data formats because... (this is where I'm stuck) - in basic English, if all the data match and they produce the same results - I will have a stronger finding or something?

What's the benefit of using different data formats and analysing several data formats?

Thanks!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Macromolecular)
How can I say - I will be analysing several data formats because... (this is where I'm stuck) - in basic English, if all the data match and they produce the same results - I will have a stronger finding or something?

What's the benefit of using different data formats and analysing several data formats?
Just to clarify, do you know why you're picking each data type/methodology? What information can each type give you that others can't? And then does this information complement or inform the other types you've chosen?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Macromolecular)
Hi,

Literally lost for words and can't think due to the amount of time I've spend composing a research proposal for PhD consideration.

Can someone put this back into words for me because I've gone blank!

So, I want to research the effects of vertigo on females. I am using different data methods - questionnaires, blood samples, neuro data etc.

Thanks!
Each data set ought to have specific strengths and weaknesses with regard to evidencing your thesis. If you've selected the right data sets, the negatives ought to cancel themselves out and the benefits ought to strengthen confidence in the results.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The word is triangulation or to triangulate something, we often use it in psychology and medicine to make the findings more robust or valid.
Last edited by JamesManc; 1 year ago
Macromolecular
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JamesManc)
The word is triangulation or to triangulate something, we often use it in psychology and medicine to make the findings more robust or valid.
Exactly this
Thanks James!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads