how does an organisational structure help a business to be succesful?

Watch
Will_B123
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
how does a hierarchical organisational structure help a business to achieve its aims and objectives.

I am looking at tesco in partiuclar but general information would also be appreciated massively

thanks
anonymous 101 xd
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Do you go to tech?
MathEcon
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Firstly, an organisational structure refers to the way in which a firm has set up its operations in order to meet its objectives.

There many different ones we could consider, including; tall structure, flat structure and matrix structure.

With tall structures, there are many layers in the hierarchy (which refers to the flow of power from the upper layers to lower layers in the organisation). How do you think this would effect a businesses? Well, firstly, if you were a worker at the bottom of the hierarchy then it would take much longer for yourself as say a Tesco employee to get a message to top management such as CEO. This in turn causes changes to be made slower and thus reducing productivity. Now productivity is KEY and you should always use this analysis point when talking about it:
(Assuming their aim to profit maximise like a rational firm!) “A fall in productivity leads to rising average variable costs which in turn means that profit margins are reduced. This in turn means that the firm must raise prices in order to maintain profit margins which is likely to make them less competitive against other supermarkets such as ASDA and Sainsbury’s which would lead to falling profits and in turn lead to falling market share” therefore a tall structure may not be compatible but rather a flat structure which has lower layers in the hierarchy. You could analyse why a flat structure may be worse. For instance it increases the span of control which could lower motivation and so lead to errors or falling productivity.

If you need any other help feel free to PM me. I can also give you tips for your exams
Last edited by MathEcon; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.63%
Okay (119)
29.38%
A bit lacking (154)
38.02%
Not good at all (93)
22.96%

Watched Threads