Self-studying A-level physics on AQA or Edexcel? Watch

Lightning-Strike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I was wondering whether to choose AQA or Edexcel to self-study A-level physics?

I've checked the syllabus for both exam boards and Edexcel seems easier if I'm honest, but AQA seems to have better resources.

Any advice please?

Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lightning-Strike)
I was wondering whether to choose AQA or Edexcel to self-study A-level physics?

I've checked the syllabus for both exam boards and Edexcel seems easier if I'm honest, but AQA seems to have better resources.

Any advice please?

Thank you
Pros and cons.
Dont forget you need to pay for practical endorsement.
If I had enough money I would plump for uplearn.
username4914582
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Asked physics teacher this question a while ago, said AQA is better board and better syllabus.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Last time I looked they were about equally popular so it's all down to personal preference. Go with the specification where you can find somewhere to let you sit the practical endorsement.
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Pros and cons.
Dont forget you need to pay for practical endorsement.
If I had enough money I would plump for uplearn.
The practical stuff is all sorted. I just need to pick the right centre, but there are plenty around me.

Thank you.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The practical stuff is all sorted. I just need to pick the right centre, but there are plenty around me.
How can the practical stuff all be sorted if you haven't got a centre yet (unless you're re-sitting)? It has to be the centre where you are entered for the exams that submits the grade for the practical endorsement so - if you're not doing it there - they have to see the evidence that you have completed them and be prepared to submit a grade based on that (which is something that isn't mentioned in the rules). Also, I don't wanted to be pessimistic, but not many centres accept private candidates at all and VERY few accept them for the practical endorsement - you may find it takes a while to find anywhere.

Edit: AS far as I am aware there are only 10-15 places in the country (London (several) , Bristol, Coventry, Bolton....) that accept students for practicals and several of them only so one board
Last edited by Compost; 3 months ago
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by JanusGodofDoors)
Asked physics teacher this question a while ago, said AQA is better board and better syllabus.
I actually quite like AQA, but the one thing that annoyed me is that sometimes the content is missing in textbooks. For example, I was doing a past paper and a question about energy levels of electrons came up.

The highest level has an energy of 0. The question asked what happens to the electron at this energy level. The answer is that it means the electron has escaped the atom. The issue is that when I looked through my Oxford and CGP textbooks there was no mention of this at all. I'm worried about this happening again and again and if that's the case then I could do poorly in the exams.

On the other hand, I have a textbook called Advanced Physics for You and although I only had a brief look I still couldn't find that energy level thing anywhere so I guess that does defend Oxford and CGP.

I don't know. I've got until Monday to decide.

Thank you.
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Last time I looked they were about equally popular so it's all down to personal preference. Go with the specification where you can find somewhere to let you sit the practical endorsement.
There are a lot of centres near where I live so I have access to pretty much all exam board practicals. It's really more to resources as I found missing content in two AQA specfic textbooks and I'm hoping Edexcel won't have the same issue. If I keep finding missing content them I'm worried about getting a bad grade in the end.

Thank you.
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
How can the practical stuff all be sorted if you haven't got a centre yet (unless you're re-sitting)? It has to be the centre where you are entered for the exams that submits the grade for the practical endorsement so - if you're not doing it there - they have to see the evidence that you have completed them and be prepared to submit a grade based on that (which is something that isn't mentioned in the rules). Also, I don't wanted to be pessimistic, but not many centres accept private candidates at all and VERY few accept them for the practical endorsement - you may find it takes a while to find anywhere.
By sorted out I meant that I contacted a few centres that allowed me to sit the practicals and exams. It's just a matter of making a choice of an exam board, exam centre, paying for the practicals and exams etc.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
By sorted out I meant that I contacted a few centres that allowed me to sit the practicals and exams. It's just a matter of making a choice of an exam board, exam centre, paying for the practicals and exams etc.
That's great if you're sorted.
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
That's great if you're sorted.
Yeah, I got lucky. You're right about a lot of places not allowing you to sit the practicals and it wasn't easy finding them. Call after call after call.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.02%
They've been reasonable (70)
40.94%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.73%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)