The Student Room Group

Does your undegraduate dissertation impact your career

I wanted to know if the undergraduate dissertation we do in final year actually has an impact on our future career? I understand that those who do relate it will be of help to their career and will look good during their interview, but what about others who don't?

I don't write mine till next year but the ideas I have for my dissertation don't seem to really relate to the career I may want to go in to. I don't exactly know what exact career I want but I have ideas. Should my dissertation matter much towards my future job?
Reply 1
Not at all... I don't even know where mine is! Don't even have a copy of it anywhere...
Reply 2
Original post by OKSK
Not at all... I don't even know where mine is! Don't even have a copy of it anywhere...

hahaha love your honesty! this actually makes me feel so much better XD so im good
Reply 3
It might depending on if you want to do a MSc, PhD, or research
Original post by Anonymous
I wanted to know if the undergraduate dissertation we do in final year actually has an impact on our future career? I understand that those who do relate it will be of help to their career and will look good during their interview, but what about others who don't?

I don't write mine till next year but the ideas I have for my dissertation don't seem to really relate to the career I may want to go in to. I don't exactly know what exact career I want but I have ideas. Should my dissertation matter much towards my future job?

My undergraduate dissertation has nothing to do with my current career path and I don't feel like it's hindered me at all, although it was more of a project rather than a research-based dissertation.
I wanted to know if the undergraduate dissertation we do in final year actually has an impact on our future career?

Should my dissertation matter much towards my future job?

Subject area, probably not very much at all, but quality, potentially yes, that can have a big impact for your 1st few jobs based on a University reference and transcript.

Project supervisors often get asked for references as they know your work and abilities outside the nice well defiended structure of a single lecture course better than just about anyone else (I just did that twice in the last week). Employers or potential PhD supervisers really care about that aspect of a students abilities. Post PhD or 1st couple of jobs you will have moved on and be asking someone else for that reference so the disseration result + supervisor impression does have a finite lifetime.
Reply 6
Original post by Nununu
It might depending on if you want to do a MSc, PhD, or research

Damn! Im currently studying psychology preparing for my dissertation, however I have been thinking to do a postgraduate degree in computing. My dissertation doesn't relate to it at all :/
Reply 7
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Subject area, probably not very much at all, but quality, potentially yes, that can have a big impact for your 1st few jobs based on a University reference and transcript.

Project supervisors often get asked for references as they know your work and abilities outside the nice well defiended structure of a single lecture course better than just about anyone else (I just did that twice in the last week). Employers or potential PhD supervisers really care about that aspect of a students abilities. Post PhD or 1st couple of jobs you will have moved on and be asking someone else for that reference so the disseration result + supervisor impression does have a finite lifetime.

ah so quality of the written dissertation? makes sense I guess. Im glad I have a great relationship with my diss supervisor!
Reply 8
Damn! Im currently studying psychology preparing for my dissertation, however I have been thinking to do a postgraduate degree in computing. My dissertation doesn't relate to it at all :/

I mean if its I a completely different subject then they obviously wont ask about it.
Original post by Nununu
..... if its I a completely different subject then they obviously wont ask about it.

Not guaranteed, even if its off topic, I would ask :smile:. Your ability to explain what you did with confidence and enthusiasm can swing an interview your way. When we recruit new PhDs we don't expect them to be expert in the field, but we do expect them to be really good at whatever they did before hand, and to be able to communicate well.

Quick Reply

Latest