Turn on thread page Beta

Why is Ireland considered a home nation? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irish Dougal)
    Its because were a Republic.

Free from British rule since 1922. Therefore we are a republic
    I'm not sure you understood me correctly. The phrase in question is that you are classed as a home nation, I'm not on about the phrase republic. Although I have considered why that word is always associated with you. You don't see it associated with Germany do you? No. But then again if we used the proper title of 'this' country it would be so long :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I'm not sure you understood me correctly. The phrase in question is that you are classed as a home nation, I'm not on about the phrase republic. Although I have considered why that word is always associated with you. You don't see it associated with Germany do you? No. But then again if we used the proper title of 'this' country it would be so long :rolleyes:
    Germany's full title is 'Federal Republic of Germany'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    Germany's full title is 'Federal Republic of Germany'.
    I know. But most countries do not really use their full title. Do you see in sporting events, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Or the Kingdom of the Netherlands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    So, my theory is basically the language barrier, and re. Ireland, they speak English (no flames about Gaelic) and its right next to us, so isn't seen as foreign; if the first language in Ireland was Gaelic for example and hardly anyone spoke English, we'd think of Ireland as 'more foreign'. IMO.

although we do speak english as our first language legally irish and english are considered equal, hence the reason the constitution is irish and english together.
    nb. this is not a flame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    a sad year.

are you deliberately trying to wind people up, or do you just feel that the irish are and were so great that it was terrible to lose the connection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    although we do speak english as our first language legally irish and english are considered equal, hence the reason the constitution is irish and english together.
    I hope this doesn't cause too much confusion in the interpretation of the Law, since you can achieve lossy translations between two languages.

ReputationRep:
    I hope this doesn't cause too much confusion in the interpretation of the Law, since you can achieve lossy translations between two languages.
    it hasn't happened yet anyway. it would be amusing though.its every second page irish, then the same thing in english.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

I have heard this phrase used in sport events with England, Scotland and Wales, which is fair enough. But why do they use the term with (the Republic of) Ireland? Surely they are just as foreign as France?

N.B. I have no problem with anyone who is Irish or French.
    I DONT KNOW WHY IT IS EITHER N.IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK HOWEVER S.IRELAND IS A FREE STATE WHICH WANTS INDEPENDANE FROM ENGLAND BUT TO BE RE UNITED WITH N.IRELAND

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rick0840)
    I DONT KNOW WHY IT IS EITHER N.IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK HOWEVER S.IRELAND IS A FREE STATE WHICH WANTS INDEPENDANE FROM ENGLAND BUT TO BE RE UNITED WITH N.IRELAND
    This is not what I had in mind. This thread seems to be suffering the same symptoms as the Islamic preachers, albeit to a lesser extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rick0840)
    [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Very eloquent today, Technik...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Death)
    Very eloquent today, Technik...
    as always...lol

as always.

ReputationRep:
    14 million. false. closer to half that in the 1840s when the famine started.
    Actualy about 4 left the country. As many died in the country from the famine and the fighting of occupation after.

ReputationRep:
    Actualy about 7 left the country. As many died in the country from the famine and the fighting of occupation after.
    your figures are way off. most sources agree the peak population in ireland was 8 million, so to say 14 million died or left is hardcore inaccuracy.

this turd taught to you in the irish "army" ? lol

ReputationRep:
    your figures are way off. most sources agree the peak population in ireland was 8 million, so to say 14 million died or left is hardcore inaccuracy.

Yeah these are absurdly exaggerated figures.

ReputationRep:
    6million being any better. Bigger than the population now.

Can you image 7 peple closet to you in your life taken away. now 1million?

Your talking about an army that fended off the Brits in the end. one of few nations to do so. Even being so close to Britian.

Ah well I have to LOL at you technik trying to get at everyone.

ReputationRep:
    6million being any better. Bigger than the population now.

Can you image 7 peple closet to you in your life taken away. now 1million?
    Look, the famine cut the population of Ireland in half leaving approx 3 million meaning that pre famine the population was approx 6 million. The 3 million deduction results obviously from deaths resulting from the famine or emmigration prompted by it. None of this 14million population pre famine nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    fended off the Brits.
    its ok...we'll forget the UK controlled ireland for hundreds of years. i wouldnt want to bring you out of your fantasy...

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    dunno...

a good game to play is "spot the prod". ie, watch for those looking at the ground/not singing the irish anthem when its played as the camera goes along the team...

one former player, a DUP councillor (hard line unionists) used to shake his head in disgust as the anthem was played.

That really is a brilliant game! Humphrys is the only one these days I think. That big guy' you talk about - the DUP man - his reaction to Amhran na bhFiann is priceless.

Some of the English guys that play for the soccer team give it a go. Even Mick McCarthy did, although was woeful. At least he gave it a shot!

ReputationRep:
    Every feckn year was sad under ye. Ye made a e of the place. During British rule the population was over 14million. Then after a few years it droped!! today its under 4million :eek: Because of British rule neglete

Even the most hardened republican wouldn't exaggerate the figure to that extent. Most of the moderate republicans I know would claim that the population went from 8 million to 3 or 4 million in the years during and directly after the Famine.

Don't insult everyone by pretending otherwise.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.