medicine_2020
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Friends ,
I am new on this forum looking for help and guidance.
I have low grades in English GCSE. Can I still get into medicine ?
Does anyone knows about university that takes low English GCSE ?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by medicine_2020)
Hi Friends ,
I am new on this forum looking for help and guidance.
I have low grades in English GCSE. Can I still get into medicine ?
Does anyone knows about university that takes low English GCSE ?
What is your actual grade? To some people a Grade 7 is low; while you could have a Grade 4.

Many med schools will need at least a Grade 6, some may need Grade 7.

Here is a list of the entry requirements of all the med schools in the UK https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf. Read through them yourself.

Bottom line, if it's less than the entry requirement you'd have to retake this - retaking GCSEs is not frowned upon and could open more doors.
medicine_2020
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying ! I really appreciate guidance at this stage.

Grade 9 - 3 total (Sciences)
Grade 8 - 3 total (maths and non-sciences)
Grade 6 - 2 in total (non-sciences)

literature - 6
language - 5
This year AQA english result make me mad.

Is resit English will not seen as negative on my university application for medicine ?
If not can I resit English next year ? Is there is any age or time limit for resit?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
...Is resit English will not seen as negative on my university application for medicine ?
No, resitting GCSEs is fine.

Even if you resat your A-Levels, 18 med schools will still consider your application.

If not can I resit English next year ? Is there is any age or time limit for resit?
No age or time limit, but you have to put on your UCAS application that you are retaking it (the med schools may give you a conditional offer based on your GCSE English Language in addition to your standard 3 A-Level grades).

If you delay too much you may have to take a gap year to retake it, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Finally, read through the entry requirements I posted above because some med schools have no GCSE requirements (e.g. Cambridge).
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
medicine_2020
Rep:
?
Thanks Again.
I checked some of the med schools (using above link ) they mention only C in English.
Does this means they will have more fierce competition for places ?
Actually I don't mind gap year.

How about just concentrate on AS/A level for now and resit English after year 13 and reapply(If 1st time didn't get through) for medicine.
Is this going to work ? is this will be negative on my application.
Is there is anyway to find out the what is the minimum grades these universities actually call for interview ?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
...Does this means they will have more fierce competition for places ?...
Nope, it doesn't work like that.

The Unis aren't stupid, just because they are more lax on one set of requirements (e.g. GCSEs) they will have tougher requirements on other sets of requirements (e.g. high BMAT / UCAT score); or they may be more selective.

All medical schools are competitive, while some are less than others (e.g. Cambridge) you won't find a med school which is non-competitive (i.e. you apply and will get in without vetting).

By all means, you can choose to apply to med schools which have less strigent GCSE requirements and only retake your GCSE English if you needed to. Remember to try and get as high UCAT / BMAT scores as possible.

P.S. For the future please quote / tag me in so I get a notification when you reply. I only checked the thread by chance!
medicine_2020
Rep:
?
Thanks sure . I am sorry I don't how to tag is there is any button or I just mention your name on reply.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks sure . I am sorry I don't how to tag is there is any button or I just mention your name on reply.
Either click on "Quote" at the bottom right of a message for a Quick Reply, or click on "Reply" to type your reply on a seperate page.

Alternatively, just put ecolier and that's a tag! You can tag anyone and they'll get a notification, e.g. Anonymous
medicine_2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Either click on "Quote" at the bottom right of a message for a Quick Reply, or click on "Reply" to type your reply on a seperate page.

Alternatively, just put ecolier and that's a tag! You can tag anyone and they'll get a notification, e.g. Anonymous
Got it
medicine_2020
Rep:
?
@ecolier
Can you please help me to understand the timelines below ?

I am still not sure I understand know correctly the timelines and milestones I need to achieve.

Year 12
1. Mock on Jan
2. Exam in June

which month I am doing these ?
3. Send application to University
4. UCAT
5. Resit English

Year 13
??
medicine_2020
Rep:
?

@ecolier
Can you please help me to understand the timelines below ?

I am still not sure I understand know correctly the timelines and milestones I need to achieve.

Year 12
1. Mock on Jan
2. Exam in June

4. UCAT
5. Resit English

Year 13
??
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The UCAS application deadline has always been and will always be 15th October (the year before starting your course). So you'll need everything ready by 15th October 2020.

4. UCAT
Take it between July and October 2020. If you take it after September 2020 it will be more expensive.

Read the 2019 timeline here, it will be similar to 2020 https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/dates-and-fees/

5. Resit English
If you ask me? Sometime between now and June next year.

Year 13
Aim to get the highest grades you can!
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
medicine_2020
Rep:
?
The UCAS application deadline has always been and will always be 15th October (the year before starting your course). So you'll need everything ready by 15th October 2020.

Take it between July and October 2020. If you take it after September 2020 it will be more expensive.

Read the 2019 timeline here, it will be similar to 2020 https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/dates-and-fees/

If you ask me? Sometimes between now and June next year.

Aim to get the highest grades you can!
Thank you very much !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.86%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.45%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.39%

Watched Threads