How to condense notes onto flashcards???

Watch
LokiSonOfOdin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey again, so today ive actually started revising but the thing is i have no idea how to condense notes onto flashcards and learn them. Also im trying to take two additional gcses this year and im hoping its possible
ScoutLeopard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What I usually do is put a buzz word on the front, e.g. Cairo Conference for History, and then I put anything related on the back. Continuing on with my Cairo Conference example, I have put things such as 1964 (13th to 16th January); attended by all Arab member stares; met to discuss a policy to confront Israel's national water carrier project and the project was set up in 1953 to divert water from the river Jordan. I've also highlighted key things.

A key point to note is to try and keep it concise without cutting details as you want it to be easy to remember, but give you the marks to achieve a 9.

For English, however, I have no clue. So if anyone has any tips apart from copying out stanzas and annotations on to the cards for poetry that would be helpful for me.
SillyFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LokiSonOfOdin)
Hey again, so today ive actually started revising but the thing is i have no idea how to condense notes onto flashcards and learn them. Also im trying to take two additional gcses this year and im hoping its possible
For English, you could revise quotes according to their themes, for maths you need to learn formulae like the sine rule and volume of cones and stuff.
In science there's physics equations, you can also define keywords. Cue cards are good for quizzing yourself, but for essay plans or themes like "War & Conflict" in RS, use mindmaps.
One thing to be careful of is putting too much on. I used to cut my cards in half and write very little on them because I'm not planning to memorise paragraphs! Especially if you're doing lots of GCSEs, you don't have time to write out wordy stuff, and it's not very effective. Make good notes in class, they'll do for the year, and they'll stick if you do loads of past papers (plus you'll improve exam strategies).
Also for languages, you could do tenses but there's too much vocabulary to write as cards - use Memrise instead, I did 20 minutes every morning and got a 9 in Spanish because I had a broad vocabulary (even though I'm not actually very good at Spanish lol).

Also, Quizlet is amazing for cue cards, especially the pre-made sets for formula and vocabulary.
SillyFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ScoutLeopard)
What I usually do is put a buzz word on the front, e.g. Cairo Conference for History, and then I put anything related on the back. Continuing on with my Cairo Conference example, I have put things such as 1964 (13th to 16th January); attended by all Arab member stares; met to discuss a policy to confront Israel's national water carrier project and the project was set up in 1953 to divert water from the river Jordan. I've also highlighted key things.

A key point to note is to try and keep it concise without cutting details as you want it to be easy to remember, but give you the marks to achieve a 9.

For English, however, I have no clue. So if anyone has any tips apart from copying out stanzas and annotations on to the cards for poetry that would be helpful for me.
Personally I preferred mind maps in year 11, since you have space to sort your quotes by character or theme and annotate them.
However, if cue cards work best for you I think it's best to organise all of your ideas by theme - themes show the writer's intent and get you the kind of complex ideas examiners want for a 9. Categorising your content will make it easier to remember too!

Also just as a side note the YouTuber Mr Salles Teaches English is an actual God, he teaches completely unique and complex ideas you won't learn at school, his ability to boost people's grades is insane! And after a while the only revision that actually helps is past papers - yes, they're ugly and long but they are everything you need to get your best grade.

Good luck this year!
Anon0707
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For me the traditional read my notes, highlight key words and then write them onto the back of a flash card relating to the topic worked. It was more the process of writing that helped me learn things, so knowing how you learn is helpful. Rewording things or drawing pictures or using short hand where possible also helps to make sure you understand it rather than just learning it off by heart.
(Original post by LokiSonOfOdin)
framstutz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, if you're trying to condense a large amount of info, do several summaries. So if you have 2 pages of A4, cut it down first to about half a page (most of the info but without the waffle), then cut that down to a quarter of a page (only the key facts/ quotes/ figures), and you can also go one further onto one side of a flash card (this is so little space you should fill it with stuff that is only the most important to remember from the original). And as always with revision, if you don't think it works for you then change it up and find what works for you. Flashcards are popular but don't work for everyone. You have time to find what works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.3%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.44%
Live streaming events (46)
8.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.77%
A uni comparison tool (119)
23.24%
An in-person event when available (114)
22.27%