A level English Literature OCR Frankenstein- Why did mary shelley reference religion?

Watch
Fosbourne85
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey Guys,
I’m trying to wrap my head around mary shelley refering to God in Frankenstein, and the bible etc, through the allusion to paradise lost but also the fact that she represents victor as trying to play “God”.
What I cant understand is why does Mary represent the consequences of playing God, that it is sinful to act ,like the creator, when she was unreligious, so why does it affect her, why does she present it as a problem in society I guess?
Are her references to religion and the bible, a way of mocking/attacking religion?
I brought this idea up to my English teacher but he didnt seem too impressed so I’m just trying to understand fellow students responses 😅
Don’t know if I’m going too deep into this but I like to get a really good understanding into the context as I find this regularly comes up.

Thanks In Advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (58)
32.04%
Yes - a trusted person (48)
26.52%
No (50)
27.62%
I'm not sure (25)
13.81%

Watched Threads