Otis1703
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’ve just started year 12 and really want to study modern languages at Oxbridge but I’m worried my GCSES aren’t high enough at two 9s four 8s three 7s and a 6. The two 9s were in Spanish and French if that makes a difference? Would really appreciate if anyone knows if these are good enough.
Sososnake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Otis1703)
I’ve just started year 12 and really want to study modern languages at Oxbridge but I’m worried my GCSES aren’t high enough at two 9s four 8s three 7s and a 6. The two 9s were in Spanish and French if that makes a difference? Would really appreciate if anyone knows if these are good enough.
Not sure about ML but generally Cambridge cares less about GCSEs than oxford
Chinemerem1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Otis1703)
I know for my subject (biomed) at Oxford they gave stats on the admission of people with different grades. Most people get in for my degree with 100% A*s at GCSEs, which I didn't have. I got in away, maybe because my predicted grades were high(3A*s)

If you don't particularly mind which one you go to, and you believe you can do really well at A levels and get high predicted and actual grades, I would suggest Cambridge cause they look less as GCSE and more at A level (the A level entry requirements are usually higher at Cambridge)
Last edited by Chinemerem1; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Chinemerem1)
I know for my subject (biomed) at Oxford they gave stats on the admission of people with different grades. Most people get in for my degree with 100% A*s at GCSEs, which I didn't have. I got in away, maybe because my predicted grades were high(3A*s)

If you don't particularly mind which one you go to, and you believe you can do really well at A levels and get high predicted and actual grades, I would suggest Cambridge cause they look less as GCSE and more at A level (the A level entry requirements are usually higher at Cambridge)
Hi

What do you think of Biomed at Oxford? Also what college are you at and how did you choose
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They're fine.
Chinemerem1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

What do you think of Biomed at Oxford? Also what college are you at and how did you choose
Hi, sorry I didn't read this until now. Extra sorry if youre in year 13 and have already applied for uni.

Biomed at Oxford is really, really broad. You will still be having chemistry, physics and stats lectures, and you also get stats assignments and tutorials once a week. Contact hours are roughly 15 hours a week, which might be less than other unis for biomed but with tutorials and the workload of essays, makes it quite hard to balance (especially since you want to social and sleep too). Labs are 3 hours long.

I go to St Hilda's, which is really good for biomed because we have so many tutors compared to some other colleges for biomed. This means that I don't have to leave college for my tutorials and that most of my tutorials are with just one other person. However, if your doing science at st Hilda's you will have to travel quite far everyday (20-25 minute walk) for lectures, but if you have a bike then you would be fine.

I was didn't apply to St Hilda's, I applied to Keble which is really close to the science area and has ensuites. But the tutorials at St Hildas and the grades biomeds get here (3 out of 4 firsts last year for the first years) are good reasons to pick it.
Hope this helped.
Last edited by Chinemerem1; 3 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Albeit not English, I applied to Jesus College Cambridge for History with 988776664 at GCSE - and got pooled to Fitzwilliam for 2020 entry.

Cambridge just cares about whether you’d fit the supervision system and REALLY lobe your subject. As long as the good GCSE grades are related to the subject you want to study, you should be fine.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Albeit not English, I applied to Jesus College Cambridge for History with 988776664 at GCSE - and got pooled to Fitzwilliam for 2020 entry.

Cambridge just cares about whether you’d fit the supervision system and REALLY love your subject. As long as the good GCSE grades are related to the subject you want to study, you should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?