The Student Room Group

Help! Best macbook to get? Old or new version?

Im in desperate need of a new laptop and as a previous Windows user, I really want to try out the Macbooks, I really like the design and interface but I'm clueless as to which one to get. I'm swaying towards the pro over the air however I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the 2019 MBP with the touchbar? Or would I be better off getting the 2017 one without the touchbar? Also I'm really confused because I didn't think there was a 2018 version that seems to also have the touch bar but it's listed here:

https://www.johnlewis.com/2018-apple-macbook-pro-13-touch-bar-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd/p3649154?sku=237624805&colour=Space+Grey&s_kwcid=2dx92700046624589364&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz8bsBRC6ARIsAEyNnvrthM5CXTsU13gCinVf1UQnbIQ4nMCjivnovgUzMR5iw75rPBQYFg8aAld3EALw_wcB

How different is this one to say the 2019 one listed here:

https://www.johnlewis.com/2019-apple-macbook-pro-13-3-touch-bar-with-touch-id-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd/p4259073

One more thing, where is better to buy the MBP, in terms of perks and pricing? I'm considering John Lewis, Curry's and through the Apple store but I'm torn on where is better and where offers better aftercare and guarantee length.

I'm hoping to buy it this Thursday or by the end of the week at a push as my other laptop broke and I need to start catching up on notes etc so I'd be super grateful if anyone could give me a quick heads up on which is best to go for. Especially since I'm a complete MacBook rookie and have no idea where to start :smile:
this is the only MacBook that I would buy, and it is the 2017 Air model

https://www.johnlewis.com/2017-apple-macbook-air-13-3-inch-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-pcie-based-ssd/p3081001

the reason is purely that the newer models have a super thin keyboard called a "butterfly" keyboard, which is technically broken - gets destroyed sometimes by a single biscuit crumb. Apple does repair this, but gives you exactly the same 'faulty' keyboard, awaiting the next speck of dust, and ALL their models, Pro Models are vulnerable, including the £2500 2019 laptops, they only offer a 4-year warranty for repairs, from date of purchase - so maybe you'd be lucky, and never meet any dust?

buy at JL as Apple stopped selling this model in August 2019.

it has 8GB RAM, 128GB PCIe-based SSD, £769.00. = reasonable specifications, good price. if Currys match this, that's fine.
The newer laptops have "retina" displays, but this 2017 Air is decent enough screen for uni, can plug in to an external screen through TB3 connector, or 'cast' to an AppleTV etc

I spent £1060 in August on this model with a 512GB SSD, but that was a BTO (build to order) from the Apple Store as they were selling out of this 2017 model, and is impossible to find nowadays, so although 128GB is a bit sparse, you can get an external backup SSD/HDD (1TB, 2TB?) with USB-A and save things there & iCloud works quite well.

In terms of coming from Windows, it is quite similar to Win10, just add Firefox and perhaps Chrome, and you'll quickly get used to it.
Reply 2
I can only echo what the above person says. Some of the slightly older macbooks are much more reliable and you'll save a good bit of money in the process.
There is a 16 inch macbook pro coming out (with OLED display), I would wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending