The Student Room Group

100% Lecture attendance?

Anyone plan on going to all of their lectures or do you see yourselves missing 1-2 per week.
Reply 1
Why would you miss lectures on a course that you are paying £9250 a year for?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
Why would you miss lectures on a course that you are paying £9250 a year for?

I hear some places have recorded lectures so anyone who misses them can rewatch them over and over online. I am asking mainly because a friend of mine is planning on missing a lecture since its the only one we have that day and was wondering if its a good idea for me to do the same.
Reply 3
stop skiving off
Original post by Anonymous
I hear some places have recorded lectures so anyone who misses them can rewatch them over and over online. I am asking mainly because a friend of mine is planning on missing a lecture since its the only one we have that day and was wondering if its a good idea for me to do the same.

I don't really see the issue if it's recorded. Unless they monitor attendance and/or they're interactive in some way that is of benefit, you can listen to it later.
Go to lectures unless you are ill or have unforeseen circumstances that stop you from going to lectures. If you are being sick or have a cold then it's a good enough reason to not go and no student wants to be next to that one guy who is coughing and blowing their nose every 5 minutes. Having 100% attendance is desirable but I would say incredibly rare.

But remember, you still have to do your lecture, just in your own time (along with extra reading etc).
Reply 6
Original post by Shimo
stop skiving off

I have no intention of doing anything of the such. I commute one hour into university each day to attend all of my lectures and seminars and am happy to do so for the entire time I am there. However missing the one lecture we have on a Wednesday seems to be the route most in my uni are taking so wanted to see what others would do.
Also, both my undergraduate University and postgraduate University monitor attendance. I would say that is the case with most Universities and courses.
Reply 8
Original post by TCA2b
I don't really see the issue if it's recorded. Unless they monitor attendance and/or they're interactive in some way that is of benefit, you can listen to it later.

As far as I am aware there is very little interaction and no monitoring. The lectures are available almost immediately after they end and I rewatch them even though I was there in person and it seems, so far at least, you aren't missing out on too much by not attending in person.
As far as I am aware there is very little interaction and no monitoring. The lectures are available almost immediately after they end and I rewatch them even though I was there in person and it seems, so far at least, you aren't missing out on too much by not attending in person.

Yeah, you should be fine. I'd just make sure about the attendance monitoring, but frankly, if there is no added benefit from being there in person, missing a few awkwardly timed lectures is a non-issue, IMO. I'd generally be more concerned if it were tutorials/seminars.
You do not even know if lecture will be available or not in truth. You just fancy day off before you have even started. Not planning on getting a first then!
I highly recommend going to all your lectures as much as possible. Even though I've graduated now, I still regret missing the few that I did.
I missed my first one, so that's impossible.
Try to go to all of them, really if you havent got a medical reason not to then there isnt much reason for you to be missing them and you are paying for them. Having said that i wont pretend that anything you learn in a lecture you cant learn from lecture capture, tutorials however are much more important and you get feedback etc that you wont get if you dont go.
I have no intention of doing anything of the such. I commute one hour into university each day to attend all of my lectures and seminars and am happy to do so for the entire time I am there. However missing the one lecture we have on a Wednesday seems to be the route most in my uni are taking so wanted to see what others would do.

Don't just skip a lecture because other people might. Once you skip one lecture willingly (and without a valid reason like illness), it's a slippery slope to skipping more than you first intended to. You should aim to go to all of them, and try not to consider skipping them as an option so you don't feel tempted.
I'm going to go against the grain here and say do whatever works for you, the beauty of university is you get to organise your time to however suits you best. If you are going to commute an hour each way for a lecture that is fully recorded and you can catch up on same day, I would argue that your time could have been better spent at home doing extra reading, starting an assignment, revising and so on. Don't let people make you feel bad for making the most of your time!

But just to be clear, I wouldn't advise missing anything that your attendance in person requires like tutorials, seminars, practical classes.

Quick Reply

Latest