Apple__Cider
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I do 4 subjects
- Economics, Computer Science, English Lit, and Classical Civilisations.
So I wanted to know if I could get to do a degree with economics - without needing maths as a 'requirement'.
I am looking specifically at london based unis
any help would be appreciated as i am sooooo confused whether to drop it or not.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am not sure about London universities but there are number of very good universities who accept you on Economics degrees without A levels including Reading, Essex, East Anglia, Kent and Sussex
bennyj901
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unlikely you can do straight economics, however something like politics and economics and I know of a few places where you can transfer from such a subject to straight econ after the first year, providing you demonstrate an aptitude for maths in that first year. Simple fact is economics is maths based. Sure its not as all encompassing as a pure maths degree but the maths that it does use it does so a hell of a lot. If you hate maths don't even try and do an economics degree. If you like maths but didn't do it at A level, get on a course where you can transfer to economics in the second year and do as many maths modules as possible.
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Apple__Cider)
So I do 4 subjects
So I wanted to know if I could get to do a degree with economics - without needing maths as a 'requirement'.
any help would be appreciated as i am sooooo confused whether to drop it or not.
Hi there!
As swanseajack1 has said, have you considered the University of Kent for economics at all? Their entry requirements don't ask for an A-level in Maths, just a B in GCSE Maths. Kent is obviously outside of London but if you need to get to London frequently or live in London there is a high-speed train service that runs from Canterbury West station (about 15 minute walk from the university) into Central London that only takes 50 minutes
I'll leave the link to the course information page here in case you are interested!
Good luck with your A-levels
Student 1011
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Economic History / Economics and History is something you can do without Maths, LSE does it and I think UCL too.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Look for 'BA Economics' - this usually means more of a social science than maths focus - although you might find a few titled 'BSc' have this focus as well. More info here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

These only require GCSE Maths :
Goldsmiths London - https://www.gold.ac.uk/ug/ba-economics/
Reading - http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...economics.aspx
Westminster - https://www.westminster.ac.uk/accoun...cs-bsc-honours
Greenwich - https://www.gre.ac.uk/undergraduate-...omics-bsc-hons
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
So I do 4 subjects
Hi there :hello:

You may be interested in the BA Economics we have at Goldsmiths! The entry requirements are BBB at A-level and you would need at least a B/Grade 6 in either GCSE Economics, Maths or Statistics so there's a little bit of flexibility

It's a really exciting programme because in addition to the classic Economics modules you can pick your own specification depending on your own interests. You can choose between 5 topics: Community and Technology, Markets and Organisations, Human Behaviour and Choice, The Creative Impulse, or Concepts, Ideas and Perspectives. We also have a few programmes that combine Economics and other subjects (like Management or Marketing) that you might want to check out!

I've included the link to the programme here but if you have any more questions I'm always happy to help

- Miranda
Apple__Cider
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by bennyj901)
Unlikely you can do straight economics, however something like politics and economics and I know of a few places where you can transfer from such a subject to straight econ after the first year, providing you demonstrate an aptitude for maths in that first year. Simple fact is economics is maths based. Sure its not as all encompassing as a pure maths degree but the maths that it does use it does so a hell of a lot. If you hate maths don't even try and do an economics degree. If you like maths but didn't do it at A level, get on a course where you can transfer to economics in the second year and do as many maths modules as possible.
thanks for the advice - like I really hate maths as it gives me such bad anxiety to do it, so I think I'll just drop economics. As I don't want to do any maths
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
thanks for the advice - like I really hate maths as it gives me such bad anxiety to do it, so I think I'll just drop economics. As I don't want to do any maths
Economics is a mathematical subject. If you hate Maths it isnt for you. Computer science is also very mathematical so avoid that. Have you considered politics, law or other social sciences as they may suit you better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.97%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.12%
Not great so far... (219)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.12%

Watched Threads