Physics Homework help 2 - i accidentally put it under maths

Watch
Jih
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, I'm really stuck on these questions please help me find the answers!

During WW1, the German army bombarded Paris with "Big Bertha." Assume Big Bertha fired shells with an initial velocity of 1.1 x 10^3 m/s [ 45 above the horizontal ]
a) how long was each shell airborne, if the launch point was at the same level as the landing point? -answer is 1.6 x 10^2 s
b) Determine the maximum horizontal range of each shell -answer is 1.2 x 10^5 km
c) Determine the maximum height of each shell -answer is 31 km

An astronaut on the Moon where gravity is 1.6 m/s^2 strikes a ball giving it a velocity of 32 m/s [ 35 degrees above the Moon's horizontal ] The ball lands in a crater floor that is 15 m below the level where it was struck. Determine
a) the maximum height of the ball -answer : 1.1 x 10^2 m
b) time of flight -answer is 24s
c) horizontal range -answer is6.2 x 10^2 m
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jih)
Hi guys, I'm really stuck on these questions please help me find the answers!

During WW1, the German army bombarded Paris with "Big Bertha." Assume Big Bertha fired shells with an initial velocity of 1.1 x 10^3 m/s [ 45 above the horizontal ]
a) how long was each shell airborne, if the launch point was at the same level as the landing point? -answer is 1.6 x 10^2 s
b) Determine the maximum horizontal range of each shell -answer is 1.2 x 10^5 km
c) Determine the maximum height of each shell -answer is 31 km

An astronaut on the Moon where gravity is 1.6 m/s^2 strikes a ball giving it a velocity of 32 m/s [ 35 degrees above the Moon's horizontal ] The ball lands in a crater floor that is 15 m below the level where it was struck. Determine
a) the maximum height of the ball -answer : 1.1 x 10^2 m
b) time of flight -answer is 24s
c) horizontal range -answer is6.2 x 10^2 m
you will need to break the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical components using trig and then use the SUVAT equations of motion to calculate the answers.

the time of flight for the shell in the first question will be the time taken for a projectile fired vertically with the same velocity as the vertical component of the shells launch velocity to fall back to it's initial position.

the range of the shell will be the horizontal distance travelled in that amount of time calculated above at the horizontal component of initial velocity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads