Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Image links.

https://ibb.co/album/hHiEDv
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I can't provide a full answer or anything rn (bad place to do it) but I can give some hints...

For the tension rope thing one:

You can work out the extension of the ropes using pythagoras
Once you have found the extension, you can find the spring constant using the force they have given you: T = K(EXTENSION) and solve for K.
You can work out the potential energy for each rope using the potential formula you know. Careful with how you do it, there are two ropes.

There's probably a part about the speed when released and a bunch of stuff like that, but once you have the initial potential energy, you can use the mass to calculate gravipotential and go forward from there.

For the other Q, consider torque/moments/etc:

The total torque on the body should be equal to zero for there to be no introduced rotation. Moments is just a simpler way to think about this (iirc)... a key principle in this is that the moment from a force acting through a point about that same point is going to equal zero, since it introduces no rotation about that point.

So just pick two pivots such that you can omit a force or another, form a simultaneous equation, and solve for what you want.
Drexx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Callicious)
I can't provide a full answer or anything rn (bad place to do it) but I can give some hints...

For the tension rope thing one:

You can work out the extension of the ropes using pythagoras
Once you have found the extension, you can find the spring constant using the force they have given you: T = K(EXTENSION) and solve for K.
You can work out the potential energy for each rope using the potential formula you know. Careful with how you do it, there are two ropes.

There's probably a part about the speed when released and a bunch of stuff like that, but once you have the initial potential energy, you can use the mass to calculate gravipotential and go forward from there.

For the other Q, consider torque/moments/etc:

The total torque on the body should be equal to zero for there to be no introduced rotation. Moments is just a simpler way to think about this (iirc)... a key principle in this is that the moment from a force acting through a point about that same point is going to equal zero, since it introduces no rotation about that point.

So just pick two pivots such that you can omit a force or another, form a simultaneous equation, and solve for what you want.
Thanks very much man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?