Difference between Heat and thermal energy

Watch
Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I read on the internet that heat is thermal energy being transferred, why do we do need two different terms ?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It all comes from when you consider thermodynamics and work and the transfer of thermal energy/etc. Thermal energy itself is just kinetic energy in various forms, rotation, vibration, etc.

When you consider a monatomic ideal gas (for example) doing some isothermal expansion, the temperature remains constant, thus the thermal energy must remain constant for the gas. The gas does however do work while it expands, pushing on the outward pressure surrounding it. How does that work? How can it do work without losing this thermal energy associated with it? We say that there is a flow of thermal energy into the gas which goes into doing this work, and we call it heat to help make things easier.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
I read on the internet that heat is thermal energy being transferred, why do we do need two different terms ?
Energy and heat are different things in thermodynamics nonetheless. (Thermal) Energy means an amount of a quantity to get things in movement as in the gas particles. The heat is what is left after a part of this was transferred to Energy. And the heat in turn is responsible for the degree of entropy, that is to say how many and fast particles are in movement.

So while the (thermal) energy is considered for the movements of gas particles, the heat is considered for their entropy. Two different things and that is why two different quantities!
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise