Swapping Psychology for Politics.

Watch this thread
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I started my A-Levels just under a month ago and I chose Psychology because I thought I'd enjoy and I thought that it was a good choice because I did it at GCSE and enjoyed it to some extent.

Now at A-Level, I don't enjoy it, it's not challenging and it's simply not interesting so I'm thinking of swapping it for Politics however I don't know much about the subject and I've never studied it before so I don't know what I'm in for.

I've had a look at the content I'll be doing and some past papers but I'd still like some more information from people who either have done it or are currently studying it.

Thanks in advance.
alexandria51201
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I take both of these subjects and both are really good a levels. Psychology is personally my favourite just because I love science and everything about studying the mind and people. Politics I like because it’s interesting and challenges me, however I am considering dropping it as I want to change it to biology (more info in my latest post). But I think that if you really want something that challenges you and you’re interested in current affairs and comparative politics (you’ll study USA if you’re on Edexcel) then go for politics. However the majority of the exams are 30 markers and a few 24 markers (Ideologies questions) and 12 markers (some in USA) so if you’re not a huge essay fan then that’s something to consider as in psychology the highest amount of marks for an essay is 16. Hope this helps
ForeverYoungx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I’ve done both! Both psycho and politics were super interesting at A Levels. Both these subjects were applicable to daily life. Politics is evident on the news! Watching political news allowed me to insert contemporary examples to my essays. So what I learnt via watching the news could be applied in my exams, similarly learning the politics spec allowed me to understand how the UK and US were governed.
In regards to psychology, I was able to translate my knowledge to understanding human behaviour. It allowed me to understand the reasonings behind why people behave a certain way etc.

Both subjects are quite content heavy especially politics, I was working on politics nearly every day at A Levels. I was the first year to sit the new spec, so I was extremely nervous as there was no past papers to go through. But honestly if you put in the effort it will all pay off.

I honestly enjoyed both subjects at A Level! If you have any particular questions about either subjects, feel free to ask.

Good luck!
Last edited by ForeverYoungx; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (19)
27.94%
As I expected (21)
30.88%
Harder (25)
36.76%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed