The Student Room Group

Got my degree but can’t find a job

I just graduated with a 2:1 bachelors degree in Education in July. Applied for a teacher training course but was on the reserve list as I applied a bit late and they never contacted me. Since the beginning of September I’ve been applying for jobs and have had no luck. I applied for a teaching assistant job but after interviewing us all, the school decided to withdraw the role as “none of us were suitable” (which is bs). I’ve sent my CV to local primary schools but with the cuts to funding nobody will hire me. I’ve applied for retail jobs as I have some retail experience but again no luck. I’ve tried admin jobs because my degree is supposed to be useful for those roles but because I don’t have experience I haven’t had any luck there either. I’m now desperate for money and feel like I’ve wasted my time on this degree because it’s not getting my anywhere. The only experience I have is in primary schools and I have some retail experience from a Christmas job but there are just no jobs going that are suitable for me. I feel like such a failure and being unemployed and having nothing to do is really getting me down:/
OK, first off, you're not a failure. You're actually at an exciting turning point although I can appreciate it might be difficult to see it like that right now. Secondly, I'll PM you. Maybe I can help. :smile:
Only July ! Others wait far longer.
Reply 3
Join the club.
Original post by Sophiej123
I just graduated with a 2:1 bachelors degree in Education in July. Applied for a teacher training course but was on the reserve list as I applied a bit late and they never contacted me. Since the beginning of September I’ve been applying for jobs and have had no luck. I applied for a teaching assistant job but after interviewing us all, the school decided to withdraw the role as “none of us were suitable” (which is bs). I’ve sent my CV to local primary schools but with the cuts to funding nobody will hire me. I’ve applied for retail jobs as I have some retail experience but again no luck. I’ve tried admin jobs because my degree is supposed to be useful for those roles but because I don’t have experience I haven’t had any luck there either. I’m now desperate for money and feel like I’ve wasted my time on this degree because it’s not getting my anywhere. The only experience I have is in primary schools and I have some retail experience from a Christmas job but there are just no jobs going that are suitable for me. I feel like such a failure and being unemployed and having nothing to do is really getting me down:/

It wasn't BS it was a business decision they made, that you don't understand. It's frustrating when that happens, but you have to try and get something out of it. Write to them and say disappointing, but you are still trying to pursue a career, can they give you and feedback on what would make you more competitive for this sort of role, to support your future applications. Most places will come back with something, and if their circumstances change, the chances are they will remember your name more than other applicants.

Get involved with anything that supports/aligns with primary teaching while you are applying for jobs. It helps develop/continue skills and it looks as though you are committed, so volunteering with brownies or cubs, seeing if you can get in on forest schools, holiday play schemes, lunchtime cover, send your CV to every primary school you could possibly get to and say you are available for urgent cover, or if primaries have a bank scheme, try and join that. Do a bit of independent research on something you are interested in professionally, and then ask local schools if you can visit to observe/interview etc. It gets you known and looks productive. Ask your university/local university if anyone working in Education needs a research assistant.

Some of those options will be ridiculous for you, but the point is you need to think outside the box or change the boundaries you are operating on. Just getting your degree and applying for jobs conventionally doesn't always work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending