Annonymous0932
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have just started studying for my undergraduate chemistry degree and my lecturers have recommended that I purchase this textbook. However, the review on Amazon for the latest edition are absolutely awful. Should i just purchase the latest edition of this textbook anyway or buy an older edition?

Does it make much difference? If I’m going to be spending a huge amount of money on a textbook, I want to make sure i get the correct one. Any advice from chemistry students/ own experiences will be useful, thanks.
sciencequestion8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Annonymous0932)
I have just started studying for my undergraduate chemistry degree and my lecturers have recommended that I purchase this textbook. However, the review on Amazon for the latest edition are absolutely awful. Should i just purchase the latest edition of this textbook anyway or buy an older edition?

Does it make much difference? If I’m going to be spending a huge amount of money on a textbook, I want to make sure i get the correct one. Any advice from chemistry students/ own experiences will be useful, thanks.
If your lecturers will be directing their teaching parallel to a specific textbook I’d recommend having a copy of that textbook whether it be loaned from a library or your own copy. There will be better textbooks out there which you can use for extra reading and to gain a different perspective.
Royal Society of Chemistry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Annonymous0932)

Hi @annonymous0932

Good question as textbooks can be expensive and it is always worth considering your options.

First thing to say is Atkins Physical is a standard text book that is on required reading lists at universities all over the UK. It should cover your entire physical chemistry needs for the duration of your course.

With regards to your options, firstly consider your university library. There is usually plenty of copies of this available so if you get in early, you might be able to get one on relatively long term loan.

Secondly, look to older students/recent graduates who may be trying to sell their copies on. This can be a great way of making savings.

Thirdly, you mention older editions and that is a sensible idea. If you keep to a relatively recent edition, there shouldn't be a significant amount of change, and if you find that there is some, you can always supplement it with information from the newer edition in your university library.

Finally, if you are an RSC member you can get discounts on a wide range of relevant text books, including Atkins Physical. This can be a cheaper way of getting a nice shiny and new version.

Hopefully one of those options suits you, but we would recommend getting access to at least a good physical chemistry book to support you with your independent learning.

All the best,

Gareth
Royal Society of Chemistry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (15)
15%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (19)
19%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
10%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (33)
33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
18%

Watched Threads