year11-kms
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I struggle to find evidence for some questions - does anybody know how to improve on this skill?
One of the things I struggle with most is the questions that ask "how are you, as a reader, interested" because most of the time the text doesn't interest me.
I can write the analysis paragraphs just fine, I just struggle with annotating and sometimes finding suggestions.

Thank you for any help you can give! <3
Student01234
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by year11-kms)
I struggle to find evidence for some questions - does anybody know how to improve on this skill?
One of the things I struggle with most is the questions that ask "how are you, as a reader, interested" because most of the time the text doesn't interest me.
I can write the analysis paragraphs just fine, I just struggle with annotating and sometimes finding suggestions.

Thank you for any help you can give! <3
This struggle is realllllll!! I did my English lang last year and I found the same thing, however, I found that just changing the way that I viewed the texts really helped. What I mean is, instead of looking for obvious techniques and interesting words to annotate and talk about (and ultimately the same stuff everyone else is going to write about) find the boring stuff and say something interesting about it. I would usually start off by thinking about the other words the writer could've used and maybe asking why they didn't choose to use anything more interesting- could it be to highlight boredom, the ordinary or could it be to emphasise something more interesting which happens further along. The good thing about english lang is that there are no set things to say to get marks- you can talk about whatever you want, even the punctuation, sentence structures etc. You don't have to talk about the obvious, sometimes it pays more to pick something random and try to deduce a deeper meaning about it, it doesn't matter if its right or not. Good luck!
liv.5.riley
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
the best way to do this is to look for a verb, adjective and a technique used and look at the tone of these words. eg:
the erratic dog bounded around like a fish out of water. the words would be “erratic” (adj) “bounded” (ver) “like a fish out of water” (similie) these words all give the tone of something out of control. hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads