Why have so many students have social anxiety

Watch
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Never used to be a thing, you’d just be ‘shy’.
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
**** with that typo 💩
pe4chy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the rate of mental health issues has OVERALL risen substantially in the past two decades for multiple reasons. not just for students but they do have the worst of it. Could be many factors but I believe social media and ‘internet living’ has alot to do with it
The squeezer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
there is nothing as anxiety the thing is people are just worried of how people see them and this limits how much people are open to speak
username4960444
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is nothing new that common personality traits have started being classified as mental disorders. I think it has to do with how everyone wants something to blame apart from themselves, so they may say they have "anxiety" or "depression" or "gender dysphoria" to pretend it's something out of their control when really it's their own attitude that's holding them back.
dysf(x)al13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StarmanJr)
It is nothing new that common personality traits have started being classified as mental disorders. I think it has to do with how everyone wants something to blame apart from themselves, so they may say they have "anxiety" or "depression" or "gender dysphoria" to pretend it's something out of their control when really it's their own attitude that's holding them back.
i disagree
zombie2233
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I strongly, strongly disagree.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Social anxiety is an emotion that has always been around.

I think you mean social anxiety disorder. "Never used to be a thing," when does that refer to? It has been called different things throughout the 20th century, but wasn't researched well until the mid 1980s. I doubt that so many students have social anxiety disorder.

If you did mean social anxiety, then the answer is; humans have a range of emotions, this is one of them that is displayed by nearly everyone at some point of their lives. Students aren't an exception to this.

So my constant fear and crying and not wanting to have ever been born as a four year old child was just my attitude? I bet any person with anxiety or depression blames themselves, as I do. Constant blaming of myself for being inadequate, so I have to strongly disagree with everything you've written.

It's not common personality traits, you haven't even mentioned personality disorders. Even then, there is evidence that BPD has genetic and hereditary factors as a cause. These things cause distress and have other bad symptoms which affect you physically.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Welshvisitor)
Never used to be a thing, you’d just be ‘shy’.
I think this is a very good question. Social anxiety is a lot more than being shy.

Off the top of my head I would link it down to changes in society and instead of going out to play with other children they stay indoors and away from strangers then exist on social media. No idea but I would expect children who play with others from an early age pick up social skills and arent scared of interacting with others.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it is. It is an emotion. When you say social anxiety disorder, then it's a disorder. But it's perfectly fine for anyone to say they experience social anxiety, as most people will have done in their lives.

Social anxiety isn't merely getting anxious when you're in a social setting
Last edited by NotNotBatman; 1 year ago
tamil fever
Report 1 year ago
: o
id like to STRONGLY disagree too.Ever heard of genetics?
as for social anxiety I think most have self-diagnosed themselves.And the reasons for anxiety maybe from comparison on social media,peers/school/home expectations,fear of being judged etc.
Gone245
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Um I’ve actually been diagnosed with anxiety and am undergoing treatment for it
GeolPhysics
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I discovered this when I went to university. I would talk to a girl and she wouldn't talk back. It happened a lot. Then I'd talk to another person and they wouldn't talk back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (172)
44.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.03%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.21%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.28%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (38)
9.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.64%

Watched Threads