The Student Room Group

VW Polo 2001 changing headlight bulb. urgent.

Anyone got any idea how to do this. *Please* dont tell me this is a dealer/mechaniac job and that my bf can do it!! It's always "stuck" on being sidelight brightness even when put on main beam and I got pulled over by the police last night(they didnt give me that piece of paper that makes me come back and prove it in a couple of weeks though :s-smilie:?!)

Thankss for the help!

Scroll to see replies

Wait, so it the problem that the headlight bulb doesn't work, or it's a fault with headlight/sidelights?
Ok. A bit of googling done on the assumption that you want to merely change the bulb.

All the answers I get back from googling changing specifically a VW Polo bulb say the same advice; take it to your garage. Unfortunatly, the consensus seems to be that if you want a VW, you have to be prepared to shell out for all maintainance to be done in-house.

However, some people are suggesting it can be one if you're prepared to suffer a few cuts and scrapes an spend the next few hours wrestling with it. Although there are no instructions online that I've found in my 5 minutes of googling as to how this is done.

I on't buy a car without going out and buying a Haynes manual for it - This is what I suggest you do. Otherwise, Haynes have an information sheet on general bulb changing, but this is not specific to VW Polos and as it seems to be an in-house job, it may not be accurate for your car.
Reply 3
Spotty Dog
Ok. A bit of googling done on the assumption that you want to merely change the bulb.

All the answers I get back from googling changing specifically a VW Polo bulb say the same advice; take it to your garage. Unfortunatly, the consensus seems to be that if you want a VW, you have to be prepared to shell out for all maintainance to be done in-house.

However, some people are suggesting it can be one if you're prepared to suffer a few cuts and scrapes an spend the next few hours wrestling with it. Although there are no instructions online that I've found in my 5 minutes of googling as to how this is done.

I on't buy a car without going out and buying a Haynes manual for it - This is what I suggest you do. Otherwise, Haynes have an information sheet on general bulb changing, but this is not specific to VW Polos and as it seems to be an in-house job, it may not be accurate for your car.

halfords fit bulbs quite cheaply..I may buy and get them to fit it for me?
Reply 4
eugh halfords. spotty teens who don't know how to do jack **** :p:
Reply 5
how many girls does it to change a light bulb? :biggrin:
Reply 6
sauce
halfords fit bulbs quite cheaply..I may buy and get them to fit it for me?

Halfords might fit it for you. They used to fit bulbs to any car for a flat fee of £2.99 (I think!). Then they realised that it takes absolutely bloody ages to fit a headlight bulb to certain cars, so now they have a list of cars which they won't touch. If your car's not on that list, then Halfords is probably the easiest option...
Reply 7
It can't be that hard!

Probably just a couple of clips and a push button. I would go and have a look at my car for you, but it is kinda late and i wouldn't see anything.

I'll have a look tomorrow...

Edit: The car manual will tell you!
gbduo

Edit: The car manual will tell you!

From my googling, everyone's saying "The car manual says to take it to your dealership".

Haynes manuals will help you out.
Reply 9
If it was me I would probably try and fix it myself first then take it to Halfords/dealers if its to difficult.
The manual for my Seat Arosa said to take it to the dealership for a bulb change but I took my time and managed to do it. It wasn’t particularly hard but quite fiddly.
If you do try and replace the bulb yourself avoid touching the glass of the bulb though as it can damage it.
Reply 10
im gonna buy the part tomorrow and let my bf have a bash at fixing i first :smile:
Reply 11
Just had a look at my car (Seat Ibiza) which does have different design of headlight to the Polo, but I would imagine the fitment would be the same.

It is a simple twist and and it comes out on mine...
Reply 12
I see a screw I need to untwist on mine.:s-smilie: Better go Halfords soon :lazy:
sauce
I see a screw I need to untwist on mine.:s-smilie: Better go Halfords soon :lazy:

Or.. you could get a screwdriver? o-o;
Reply 14
it was easy and I paid 20 quid inc. fitting :hmpf:
sauce
it was easy and I paid 20 quid inc. fitting :hmpf:

£2.50 for the bulb and £17.50 for the fitting then. :P

(Still think you got a good deal? :P)
Reply 16
Spotty Dog
£2.50 for the bulb and £17.50 for the fitting then. :P

(Still think you got a good deal? :P)

i know i didnt:frown: dont rub it in:cry:
sauce
i know i didnt:frown: dont rub it in:cry:

Hunny, do me a favour and go and spend a few quid on a Haynes manual if you're planning on keeping a car. It'll tell you everything you need to know about car maintainance, and will save you being ripped off by spotty teenagers in Halfords. :P
How did you fit it??? or how did halfords do it, i wanted to change mine but dont have a clue how lol. only got my car about a month ago lol.
Original post by ralhannitin
How did you fit it??? or how did halfords do it, i wanted to change mine but dont have a clue how lol. only got my car about a month ago lol.

Thanks for raising a 3 year old thread. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest