droni4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi guys, my question is can i apply to a masters program or masters of arts if i only have got bachelor of arts ? thank you
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That’s what the vas majority do ...
droni4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Welshvisitor)
That’s what the vas majority do ...
I mean its wierd, cause my uni can provide u with bachelor of arts in 3years and u dont do you honour years, on another hand i've never seen somebody without a honour year being accepted to masters program. Or am i getting that wrong? Thanks
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by droni4)
I mean its wierd, cause my uni can provide u with bachelor of arts in 3years and u dont do you honour years, on another hand i've never seen somebody without a honour year being accepted to masters program. Or am i getting that wrong? Thanks
Any undergrad degree without honours (except in Scotland) is so vanishingly rare, that in England and Wales you have to be explicit if you mean a degree without honours.

By and large, in England and Wales, a degree without honours is next to useless and it won't get you onto a Masters programme. The situation in Scotland is different, you'd have to ask the specific university. However, the honours year is usually required to continue to postgrad.
droni4
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Any undergrad degree without honours (except in Scotland) is so vanishingly rare, that in England and Wales you have to be explicit if you mean a degree without honours.ye

By and large, in England and Wales, a degree without honours is next to useless and it won't get you onto a Masters programme. The situation in Scotland is different, you'd have to ask the specific university. However, the honours year is usually required to continue to postgrad.
yeah, that's exactly why i am asking that, because i am lost and i do study in scotland btw. Thanks for any futher information u can provide me on that point
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
yeah, that's exactly why i am asking that, because i am lost and i do study in scotland btw. Thanks for any futher information u can provide me on that point
There's not much more to say. If you don't do the honours year, your degree only really has currency in Scotland, because it only equates to completing the second year of uni in England and Wales. If you never want to move out of Scotland, or at least not until you've got an established career, you might get away with it.

But as far as I'm aware, you need to complete the honours year to go on to a Masters, even in Scotland. Ask your Scottish uni what their Masters entry requirements are.
droni4
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
There's not much more to say. If you don't do the honours year, your degree only really has currency in Scotland, because it only equates to completing the second year of uni in England and Wales. If you never want to move out of Scotland, or at least not until you've got an established career, you might get away with it.

But as far as I'm aware, you need to complete the honours year to go on to a Masters, even in Scotland. Ask your Scottish uni what their Masters entry requirements are.
Thanks
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You need honours to do masters. So few degrees are awarded without honours.
Krisskross007
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yep, as far as I know...I actually know a lady who completed a master's degree without having to do any degree at all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.84%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (55)
13.13%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (158)
37.71%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (45)
10.74%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (81)
19.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
5.25%

Watched Threads