Really confused about citations / references

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Doing my first essay and so confused! I don’t understand how to reference. For example, I just found a definition and quoted it. After the quote, do I just put the authors name from the book and the year it was published?
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, for example: (Andrews, 1988, p.18) you put the page number in too if it’s a quote. If you’ve paraphrased you drop the page number.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Welshvisitor)
Yes, for example: (Andrews, 1988, p.18) you put the page number in too if it’s a quote. If you’ve paraphrased you drop the page number.
Thanks. Do I put the full name of the author or just the surname? Also for references at the end do I just copy and paste the same one?
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You put the name, year, and page number. But quoting things will potentially get you bad marks. Because it is not original you are just copying what someone has said.

Top tip alert: Have one reference for every 100 words, so if you have a 2000 word essay have 20 references, 3000, 30 etc.
Last edited by JamesManc; 5 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JamesManc)
You put the name, year, and page number. But quoting things will get you bad marks. Because it is not original you are just copying what someone has said.

Top tip alert: Have one reference for every 100 words, so if you have a 2000 word essay have 20 references, 3000, 30 etc.
I thought for definitions you could just copy it? Do i put the definition into my own words?
JamesManc
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It depends on the context, I would not bother defining it. Quotes look really bad in essays unless you're doing English where quotes are needed obviously. Always put quotes into your own words if it is needed.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JamesManc)
It depends on the context, I would not bother defining it. Quotes look really bad in essays unless you're doing English where quotes are needed obviously. Always put quotes into your own words if it is needed.
I’ve to find 3 different definitions of Global Citizenship and compare them. Not sure if that means anything to you
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve to find 3 different definitions of Global Citizenship and compare them. Not sure if that means anything to you
Then you do quote the 3 definitions.

You quote in the text as described above, and then you put the full reference in the bibliography at the end - Look up Harvard referencing, that's what most universities use.
JamesManc
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Right sorry, in that case I WOULD define them as the question has asked that. What I would do is start with something like 'global citizenship is something of increasing importance blah blah'. Then define the first definition and what it means. Then define the other in a separate paragraph, and then the other. Then discuss how they are different and how they are the same, their strengths and weaknesses and what they mean. Use real life examples. Conclude something like 'all definitions are important and show how global citizenship is a varied construct and important in modern social discourse.' Lol.
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You’re uni will have a Harvard ref guide on Moodle. Your ref list will have its own format too.
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think you could use a book on the subject. You’ll get one at your uni book shop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads