The Student Room Group

US Student W/ Questions about Oxford PPE

Hello! I'm a US student who is applying to Oxford for PPE. I know it's a very competitive course of study so I'm trying not to get my hopes too high but I have some questions:

In the US, extracurriculars are a huge portion of the application. For Oxford, is the appropriate place to talk about extracurriculars in the personal statement? I think I have a strong personal statement for PPE as I have lived in the Middle East, my father used to work for an international agency (like World Bank but not that) and I have 2 main extracurriculars very related to PPE. However, a lot of my extracurriculars are actually biological research - related. If I wanted to make a connection with science + PPE do you think that would be advised?

Finally, I have some questions about the selection process. I have good scores (1520 SAT, and 5s on AP Lang, AP Art History, AP Environmental Science, AP US History and a 4 on AP Biology) but I'm worried my AP scores aren't related enough to PPE. I'm taking SAT subject tests Math I, Biology, and Literature - if I score high enough on those do you think I'll be fine for the requirements?

Once an applicant is selected to interview, from then on is it solely the interview that determines decision? Or will they look back at your personal statement and TSA scores again? Do you know why the admit rate is so low if the caliber of applicants is already self-selecting?

Also: In my personal statement I comment on the current political atmosphere in the United States and how that has furthered my interest in PPE - is this too overused of an explanation?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
You may wish to post in the Oxbridge forums and read some specific advice regarding personal statements etc. I suspect that you are a little off piste - Oxbridge personal statements are very different from Ivy League equivalents.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
You may wish to post in the Oxbridge forums and read some specific advice regarding personal statements etc. I suspect that you are a little off piste - Oxbridge personal statements are very different from Ivy League equivalents.

Thanks for your reply. I know that Oxbridge personal statements are far more academic in nature. I am wondering if it would be appropriate in my case to make some references to my background and connect those with my academic experience and interest in PPE. But I will take your advice and look at the tips posted here.
Moved to the Oxford forum :smile:
Original post by usstudoob
In the US, extracurriculars are a huge portion of the application. For Oxford, is the appropriate place to talk about extracurriculars in the personal statement?

Yes, but Oxford don't want much about them - see here - there's a tab on the personal statement.

Finally, I have some questions about the selection process. I have good scores (1520 SAT, and 5s on AP Lang, AP Art History, AP Environmental Science, AP US History and a 4 on AP Biology) but I'm worried my AP scores aren't related enough to PPE. I'm taking SAT subject tests Math I, Biology, and Literature - if I score high enough on those do you think I'll be fine for the requirements?

You appear to meet the entry requirements (but I haven't checked lately), although most will have stronger APs. Don't sweat it though - the TSA and any interview will be key.

Once an applicant is selected to interview, from then on is it solely the interview that determines decision? Or will they look back at your personal statement and TSA scores again?

There are "ask an admissions tutor" threads - ask there.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending