The Student Room Group

What qualifications do I need to be a GP?

Title
Mrcgp or it used to be,

You have to be a qualified doctor then work in hospital for a couple of years, then find a job in a gp practice and undergo some training. Then it will be time to do the MRCGP
Original post by Anonymous
Title

A Bachelor of Medicine (MBBS)
And a bachelor of surgery

But that’s before you start in hospital
Reply 4
But firstly what A levels? Obviously biology, do I need chemistry/physics/maths?
But firstly what A levels? Obviously biology, do I need chemistry/physics/maths?

Chemistry is required by most medical schools. This is all very Google-able:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

After that you need to complete the Foundation Programme followed by three years of GP vocational training (1.5 years in hospital, 1.5 years in the community).

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/doctors/roles-doctors/general-practice-gp/training-and-development
I think I read in the Daily Mail that you can just do an online course run out of Eastern Europe? Takes a couple weeks if you work hard?

Or alternatively its "10 years training minimum" I dunno.
Reply 7
Title

- Unis tend to like Chemistry A level, entry requirements tend to be quite high.
- 5 year medicine degre (MBChB)
- foundation dr programme (2-3 years)
- GP pathway as a post foundation junior dr
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
I think I read in the Daily Mail that you can just do an online course run out of Eastern Europe? Takes a couple weeks if you work hard?

Or alternatively its "10 years training minimum" I dunno.

You need TRAINING?? :eek: :eek3:
Original post by GANFYD
You need TRAINING?? :eek: :eek3:

I think its just tea and cakes and reflecting on whether your reflections about how many reflections you have to do truly reflects how you want to reflect on your work to date i.e. just reflections. There's a lot of mirrors involved, I imagine.
I think its just tea and cakes and reflecting on whether your reflections about how many reflections you have to do truly reflects how you want to reflect on your work to date i.e. just reflections. There's a lot of mirrors involved, I imagine.

Would be funny if it wasn't so true...
Reply 11

And smoke. You forgot the smoke!
But there is a lot of cake involved, this is true. I avoid my reflection wherever possible, mainly due to all the cake, I think. :cookie:
Sounds like fun.. more cake than mamma Mia II

But when do you actually do some work ( joking of course)
Reply 13
Original post by Oxford Mum
Sounds like fun.. more cake than mamma Mia II

But when do you actually do some work ( joking of course)

Well this thread is a complete revelation. I am meant to work, too??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending