Nissan plant in Sunderland under threat... Watch

imlikeahermit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Japanese car maker Nissan will review its decision to build the Qashqai 4x4 in England if Britain leaves the EU without a deal, potentially leading to the closure of the Sunderland plant, the Financial Times reported.

Source: Financial Times

Seems like the turkeys that voted for Christmas are now about to get their comeuppance. Just now awaiting the leavers who will come in and say that this is all to be expected and that everything is tickety boo.
_Wellies_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But Johnson, Gove, Farage, Cummings and other anti-establishment rebels told us Britain will boom after we leave the EU This story is obviously nonsense.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Wellies_)
But Johnson, Gove, Farage, Cummings and other anti-establishment rebels told us Britain will boom after we leave the EU This story is obviously nonsense.
Obviously. Just more scaremongering by those pesky remainers. Those 7000 potential job losses are just fallacy, Nissan are just posturing...
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Obviously. Just more scaremongering by those pesky remainers. Those 7000 potential job losses are just fallacy, Nissan are just posturing...
Whats the argument im thinking of... oh yes;
"**** the workers democracyyyyyy *****es"
I believe thats the usual brexiteer go to in situations like this?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
It would be ironic for the factory workers that did vote leave if they voted themselves out fo a job.
The counter argument is that it is nothing to do with brexit, Japan now has a deal with the EU where it can export directly, it is in decline, so is now consolidating its factories.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Whats the argument im thinking of... oh yes;
"**** the workers democracyyyyyy *****es"
I believe thats the usual brexiteer go to in situations like this?
Oh hold on! I know this part! Is this where we do the...

17.4 million! *beats chest*
Anonnorth
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If we do end up leaving then the only country the UK needs to have a deal with exporting the cars from Nissan is Switzerland .. and they have that in place.

Nissan do no sell cars they make in the UK to anywhere in the UK or the rest of the EU .. they sell everyone to a company in Switzerland that then sell them on to elsewhere.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A quote from the article

“While we don’t comment on speculative scenarios, our plans for Qashqai production in Sunderland have not changed.”

Nissan has been having problems and cutting jobs for a year due to other issues.
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This thread is a prime example of why we haven't got any in 3 years since the referendum. It's pathetic name calling and point scoring constantly.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by xDron3)
This thread is a prime example of why we haven't got any in 3 years since the referendum. It's pathetic name calling and point scoring constantly.
Got any what?
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Got any what?
Anywhere* lol. Typed it too quickly
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by _Wellies_)
I think they were thinking of a different type of boom.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Japanese car maker Nissan will review its decision to build the Qashqai 4x4 in England if Britain leaves the EU without a deal, potentially leading to the closure of the Sunderland plant, the Financial Times reported.

Source: Financial Times

Seems like the turkeys that voted for Christmas are now about to get their comeuppance. Just now awaiting the leavers who will come in and say that this is all to be expected and that everything is tickety boo.
I had it on pretty good authority when the x trail was planned for production over in Japan than Sunderland had a future and there was investment plan in place for Sunderland, this was about 7 months ago.

The real reason diesel cars are being made in Japan is because thats where the market for diesel cars is and the European polical movement against diesel cars does not make, making them in Sunderland attractive. Then the other EU issue I notice no fanatical remainers has mentioned is the EU signing a trade deal with Japan. A Japanese company can make Japanese cars in Japan and sell them to Europe easier #shocker
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I had it on pretty good authority when the x trail was planned for production over in Japan than Sunderland had a future and there was investment plan in place for Sunderland, this was about 7 months ago.

The real reason diesel cars are being made in Japan is because thats where the market for diesel cars is and the European polical movement against diesel cars does not make, making them in Sunderland attractive. Then the other EU issue I notice no fanatical remainers has mentioned is the EU signing a trade deal with Japan. A Japanese company can make Japanese cars in Japan and sell them to Europe easier #shocker
Yet another reason to remain in the EU. Couldn't have said it better myself. I would put my house on it, if we remain, the Sunderland factory will remain. If we leave, the Sunderland factory will go.
Last edited by imlikeahermit; 2 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yet another reason to remain in the EU. Couldn't have said it better myself. I would put my house on it, if we remain, the Sunderland factory will remain. If we leave, the Sunderland factory will go.
A reason to remain is the EU signing trade deals which take jobs away from the UK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.38%
No (213)
76.62%

Watched Threads