Huge delivery of Champagne arrives at Tory conference as Boris Johnson's pals discuss Watch

BrexitPopulist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Well you're parties must be fun :yawn:
They are, but I typically don’t do poverty workshops at them. 😂
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BrexitPopulist)
They are, but I typically don’t do poverty workshops at them. 😂
Lol! :lol:

You know what I mean, it's a topic that comes up and gets discussed, it's not a poverty workshop
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you don’t think that this gives off a bad message/ impression or that Downing Street spinners would have tried to suppress this if they had been able to? Of course it does and they would do..

No one is suggesting MPs should have to undertake a vow of abstinence and poverty to be MPs but to be drinking champagne at such an event does I think illustrate a lack of contact with reality.
How does drinking champagne at a major party event illustrate a lack of "contact with reality"? The reality is that millions of people across Britain drink and enjoy champagne. It's not some sort of unaffordable elixir of youth that is somehow denied to the great majority of people.

I think that anyone in charge will be supremely relaxed about this. It won't change a single vote: perhaps some on the left think the Tories are all a bunch of champagne charlies who do nothing but quaff the demon drink and laugh at the poor. Normal people don't think that way.

(Original post by Napp)
I dont care about the conservative party much one way or the other but you must admit there is a rather deep sense of irony surrounding this picture, especially considering (according to the article) the topic theyre about to discuss.
It's the Daily Mirror. What they've done here is note two separate things--

(1) Champagne has been delivered to Conservative Party conference
(2) There are two fringe events (among probably hundreds) at the Conservative Party conference that discuss poverty and rough sleeping.

No-one's drinking bloody champagne at a morning fringe event organised by some charity group.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What do you think about dianne abbot sending her kids to private schools and then wanting to ban them?

Slightly different kettle of fishing course but I think the two cases will rub people the wrong way, and for the same reasons. IE a lack of sincerity on the politicians part
Like you say, a different kettle of fish. The Conservatives are not calling for champagne to be banned, nor are they suggesting people shouldn't be able to spend their own money on booze. Addressing poverty and rough sleeping has absolutely nothing to do with what other people drink.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L i b)
How does drinking champagne at a major party event illustrate a lack of "contact with reality"? The reality is that millions of people across Britain drink and enjoy champagne. It's not some sort of unaffordable elixir of youth that is somehow denied to the great majority of people.

I think that anyone in charge will be supremely relaxed about this. It won't change a single vote: perhaps some on the left think the Tories are all a bunch of champagne charlies who do nothing but quaff the demon drink and laugh at the poor. Normal people don't think that way.

It's the Daily Mirror. What they've done here is note two separate things--

(1) Champagne has been delivered to Conservative Party conference
(2) There are two fringe events (among probably hundreds) at the Conservative Party conference that discuss poverty and rough sleeping.

No-one's drinking bloody champagne at a morning fringe event organised by some charity group.
Says who?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.38%
No (213)
76.62%

Watched Threads