The Student Room Group

[COMPETITION] Write a Christmas Card for The Rainbow Cards Project 2019!

TSR's Rainbow Cards Christmas Collection 2019

Write a message for the cause, and we'll send it for you!

:party:

Here on TSR, we're running a collection of Christmas and holiday messages for The Rainbow Cards Project. They're a fantastic charity that sends birthday and holiday cards to LGBT+ people who have been disowned by their family, as a way of tackling isolation and loneliness within the community. They run on donations and from cards people write and send in, which they then send on to those who sign up for its services.

So how can you get involved? To get involved in the TSR collection, all you have to do is write a message to to a named recipient from here, and post it in this thread. We'll write the messages up in a card for you, and send it on to The Rainbow Cards Project, who will send it on to it's final destination... that means you can write as many messages as you want, without having to worry about buying cards, or paying for postage! For more information and ideas, check out their Writing Guide. :woo:

Please include how you want the card to be signed off! If you don't include a sign off for the card, I'll be using 'From all of us at TSR', because I don't want to include usernames without people giving it the okay to :tongue:

For an additional bonus challenge for this collection, we'll be running a raffle; for each unique card message you post in the thread, you'll get one entry to this thread! Each message has to be different, and they must all be appropriate and positive to count towards your total. On the 5th November, Father Christmas will do a raffle draw, and the winner will receive a special gift! :woo:

Unable to write any messages, but still want to support the cause? The Rainbow Cards Project is still in it's early stages, so if you're able to promote it on Twitter or Facebook, that's a great help too! If you're able to donate, you can also do so here :biggrin:

ALL MESSAGES MUST BE POSTED BY THE 5TH NOVEMBER TO BE INCLUDED THIS YEAR.

If you're wondering why we're collecting quite so early, Rainbow Cards need to receive all cards by November 10th so they have time to send them on to all their wonderful recipients, and I'll need time to write up all your lovely messages and send them on before this date :yep:

One of our fantastic VT will be designing them and I'll post the designs in this thread for you to see once they have been completed
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
One of our fantastic VT will be designing them

I bet all my life savings that it's @CoolCavy :ninja:
(edited 4 years ago)
Quoting in everyone who took part last year! :woo:

Spoiler

Posting to subscribe :awesome:
Original post by Glaz
I bet all my life savings that it's @CoolCavy :ninja:

Currently we're looking into the potential of multiple designs from multiple VT - watch this space :tongue:
Currently we're looking into the potential of multiple designs from multiple VT - watch this space :tongue:

You know where I am :tongue:
aw yay :woo: Love this! posting to watch + later on write a card!
:tongue:
Hello there!
Please do know that you're not alone and that many people want to celebrate you and your (completely valid) identity! You matter and people do care. :smile: May the forces of evil become confused on your path. Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi Adri,

I just wanted to drop you a line to wish you a very Merry Christmas. I hope that 2020 is a good year for you, and that you get to do lots of dancing to your favourite tunes! I'm bowled over by how many different styles of dance you do - you must be very talented indeed! I used to do ballet from ages 4-11 but I wasn't very good at it. I still like going to watch ballets at the Royal Opera House and Sadlers Wells though. What's your favourite ballet? And cringey question but: are you following Strictly Come Dancing this year? I'm still not decided on who I want to win!

Know that there are people thinking of you and wishing you well during this festive season :smile:

Take care,

Shan

------------

Hi Alba,

How are you? I hope you are doing OK. I'm just writing to wish you a very Merry Christmas. I hope you are able to keep well and safe during this season. I picked your name because I saw you like poetry: me too! I used to write lots of poetry but am rather rusty these days. Here's a little one for you:

Sometimes when we reach this season
it can be hard to find a reason
to keep strong and hanging in there
if we think that people don't care.
But I saw your name and think of you
because you are important too,
this Christmas, I keep you in my heart,
even though we may be miles apart.

See what I mean by rusty, hee hee?! I used to be much better, I promise! Hope it puts a little smile on your face though,

Shan :smile:

----------------------

Hi Audrey (1),

Wishing you a very happy festive season! Smash that patriarchy in all that you do and never stop being true to yourself. I'm so envious of you having kittens: I imagine they bring you lots of joy! I'd love to have a kitten one day, when I move out of where I'm currently staying :smile:

Thinking of you this Christmas,

------------------------------

Hi Birte,

How are you? Wishing you a very happy festive season this Christmas time! I see you love musicals - me too! Which one is your favourite? My all-time favourite has to be The Sound of Music. Have you seen that one? If not, why not check it out this Christmas? It's an oldie, but a real feel-good film.

Sending you big panda hugs and thinking of you over Christmas,

--------------------------------

Hi Brea,

Merry Christmas! I hope you have a good one and that you get to listen to lots of lovely Christmas carols and Christmas music this festive season. For some reason, I always end up listening to 'Zadok the Priest' and bits of Handel's 'Messiah' a lot in December - what classical music do you associate with this time of year?

I'll be thinking of you over Christmas, especially whenever I'm listening to classical music, or use any glitter in my Christmas cards. GLITTER and SPARKLE like the Christmas star that you are <3 Never stop being you.

Hugs,

Shan

PS. Do you have any tattoos or do you just like the idea of them? I've told myself when I finish my degree, I'm gonna get one!

------------------------------------

Hi Briana,

How are you? I hope this festive season finds you well and that you are doing OK. I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that people are thinking of you during this time. I notice you like Hamilton - have you seen it live? I went recently for the first time and was very impressed! I'll think of you when listening to the soundtrack.

Take care and have a Merry Christmas,

Shan

----------------------------------

Hi Cameron (1),

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I hope you are holding up OK this season and that it's a good one to you. I also hope that 2020 will be kind to you. I noticed you like older types of music: my favourite band is ABBA, even though I'm only 31 years old! Great that you like the Beatles. I did a module on them at uni, which was great fun and really interesting. They were such trailblazers!

Anyway, wishing you all the very best at this time of year and thinking of you throughout the season,

Shan

Hi Chloe (2),

Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that people are wishing you well and rooting for you this Christmas season. I appreciate this year can be bittersweet for some and that it can be difficult and lonely. So if you ever feel like that, read this card and know that Shan from London is sending you lots of hugs, support, and good wishes! I hope you are able to enjoy the season and that there are some good Disney movies on TV, or DVDs to hand! What's your opinion on Disney 'live action' remakes?! I was so sceptical about 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'The Lion King' before I saw them, but I thought they were actually pretty good! Same with 'Aladdin'! I think my most fave recent Disney film of the moment is 'Mary Poppins Returns', though. It was such a heart-warming film. Plus I love Emily Blunt, haha.

Sending strength and love,

Shan

-------------------------------

Hi Delilah Connie,

What a beautiful name you have :smile: I just wanted to write and wish you a very Merry Christmas. I also hope 2020 will be a great year for you. I will be thinking of you over the holiday season <3

Take care and shine like the Christmas star you are,

Shan

---------------------------------

Hi El (2),

How are you doing? I just wanted to write and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2020! I hope you are able to enjoy the season. I love pastel colours too, and Nutella - though come to think of it, I've never had a Nutella milkshake. Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and try it?!

Take care and remember that there are people thinking of you this Christmas,

---------------------------------------

Hi Eri,

Just wanted to drop you a line to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2020! Do you ever play Christmas music on your guitar or ukulele? I'd love to play the guitar but haven't got the patience to learn a new instrument from scratch. I used to play piano and violin but I never really liked the violin as an instrument. My piano was a great source of joy for me though, and I used to love playing both Christmas No.1s from the charts, as well as Christmas carols, on my piano :smile:

Hope your Christmas is filled with music, light, and joy,

Will do a few more over the next month or so :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi Adri,

I just wanted to drop you a line to wish you a very Merry Christmas. I hope that 2020 is a good year for you, and that you get to do lots of dancing to your favourite tunes! I'm bowled over by how many different styles of dance you do - you must be very talented indeed! I used to do ballet from ages 4-11 but I wasn't very good at it. I still like going to watch ballets at the Royal Opera House and Sadlers Wells though. What's your favourite ballet? And cringey question but: are you following Strictly Come Dancing this year? I'm still not decided on who I want to win!

Know that there are people thinking of you and wishing you well during this festive season :smile:

Take care,

Shan

------------

Hi Alba,

How are you? I hope you are doing OK. I'm just writing to wish you a very Merry Christmas. I hope you are able to keep well and safe during this season. I picked your name because I saw you like poetry: me too! I used to write lots of poetry but am rather rusty these days. Here's a little one for you:

Sometimes when we reach this season
it can be hard to find a reason
to keep strong and hanging in there
if we think that people don't care.
But I saw your name and think of you
because you are important too,
this Christmas, I keep you in my heart,
even though we may be miles apart.

See what I mean by rusty, hee hee?! I used to be much better, I promise! Hope it puts a little smile on your face though,

----------------------

Hi Audrey (1),

Wishing you a very happy festive season! Smash that patriarchy in all that you do and never stop being true to yourself. I'm so envious of you having kittens: I imagine they bring you lots of joy! I'd love to have a kitten one day, when I move out of where I'm currently staying :smile:

Thinking of you this Christmas,

Hi Birte,

How are you? Wishing you a very happy festive season this Christmas time! I see you love musicals - me too! Which one is your favourite? My all-time favourite has to be The Sound of Music. Have you seen that one? If not, why not check it out this Christmas? It's an oldie, but a real feel-good film.

Sending you big panda hugs and thinking of you over Christmas,

--------------------------------

Hi Brea,

Merry Christmas! I hope you have a good one and that you get to listen to lots of lovely Christmas carols and Christmas music this festive season. For some reason, I always end up listening to 'Zadok the Priest' and bits of Handel's 'Messiah' a lot in December - what classical music do you associate with this time of year?

I'll be thinking of you over Christmas, especially whenever I'm listening to classical music, or use any glitter in my Christmas cards. GLITTER and SPARKLE like the Christmas star that you are <3 Never stop being you.

Hugs,

Shan

PS. Do you have any tattoos or do you just like the idea of them? I've told myself when I finish my degree, I'm gonna get one!

------------------------------------

Hi Briana,

How are you? I hope this festive season finds you well and that you are doing OK. I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that people are thinking of you during this time. I notice you like Hamilton - have you seen it live? I went recently for the first time and was very impressed! I'll think of you when listening to the soundtrack.

Take care and have a Merry Christmas,

Shan

Hi Cameron (1),

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I hope you are holding up OK this season and that it's a good one to you. I also hope that 2020 will be kind to you. I noticed you like older types of music: my favourite band is ABBA, even though I'm only 31 years old! Great that you like the Beatles. I did a module on them at uni, which was great fun and really interesting. They were such trailblazers!

Anyway, wishing you all the very best at this time of year and thinking of you throughout the season,

Shan

Hi Chloe (2),

Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that people are wishing you well and rooting for you this Christmas season. I appreciate this year can be bittersweet for some and that it can be difficult and lonely. So if you ever feel like that, read this card and know that Shan from London is sending you lots of hugs, support, and good wishes! I hope you are able to enjoy the season and that there are some good Disney movies on TV, or DVDs to hand! What's your opinion on Disney 'live action' remakes?! I was so sceptical about 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'The Lion King' before I saw them, but I thought they were actually pretty good! Same with 'Aladdin'! I think my most fave recent Disney film of the moment is 'Mary Poppins Returns', though. It was such a heart-warming film. Plus I love Emily Blunt, haha.

Sending strength and love,

Shan

-------------------------------

Hi Delilah Connie,

What a beautiful name you have :smile: I just wanted to write and wish you a very Merry Christmas. I also hope 2020 will be a great year for you. I will be thinking of you over the holiday season <3

Take care and shine like the Christmas star you are,

Shan

---------------------------------

Hi El (2),

How are you doing? I just wanted to write and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2020! I hope you are able to enjoy the season. I love pastel colours too, and Nutella - though come to think of it, I've never had a Nutella milkshake. Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and try it?!

Take care and remember that there are people thinking of you this Christmas,

---------------------------------------

Hi Eri,

Just wanted to drop you a line to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2020! Do you ever play Christmas music on your guitar or ukulele? I'd love to play the guitar but haven't got the patience to learn a new instrument from scratch. I used to play piano and violin but I never really liked the violin as an instrument. My piano was a great source of joy for me though, and I used to love playing both Christmas No.1s from the charts, as well as Christmas carols, on my piano :smile:

Hope your Christmas is filled with music, light, and joy,

Will do a few more over the next month or so :h:

You're so good at writing! I'm always so bad/find these things hard!
Original post by Obolinda
You're so good at writing! I'm always so bad/find these things hard!

Oh I tend to mostly write the same thing for each one but just reworded slightly :colondollar: Can be really hard to know what to say otherwise :sadnod: :console: :colondollar:

Though this is the first time I've written a poem for one of these cards :colondollar:
Wow there's so many people on that list :frown: so sad that so many people aren't accepted, will try to write some messages here :smile:
Helpful that it's divided into yule/christmas/hannukah etc as obviously not everyone celebrates christmas. @shadowdweller that's am important point for the card designs, on mine i put happy holidays for it to be more inclusive, maybe give people a heads up about that? And dont send my card design to the people that have put dont mention LGBT stuff as obviously santa has a rainbow beard :hide:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
Wow there's so many people on that list :frown: so sad that so many people aren't accepted, will try to write some messages here :smile:
Helpful that it's divided into yule/christmas/hannukah etc as obviously not everyone celebrates christmas. @shadowdweller that's am important point for the card designs, on mine i put happy holidays for it to be more inclusive, maybe give people a heads up about that? And dont send my card design to the people that have put dont mention LGBT stuff as obviously santa has a rainbow beard :hide:

That's not an issue, I'm quite happy for them to say happy Christmas, or happy holidays, or whatever - we have up to 4 designs, so at least one will be suitable for other holidays! Worst case I can just make a design myself for those :yep:

Naturally not going to send an LGBT+ design or message to anyone who's asked for it not to be mentioned, don't worry :tongue:
That's not an issue, I'm quite happy for them to say happy Christmas, or happy holidays, or whatever - we have up to 4 designs, so at least one will be suitable for other holidays! Worst case I can just make a design myself for those :yep:

Naturally not going to send an LGBT+ design or message to anyone who's asked for it not to be mentioned, don't worry :tongue:

thank you :hugs:
Update: Please try to opt for named recipients for cards going forward. The Rainbow Cards Project has posted to say they have a large number of general cards now, but that not everyone has a named card as yet :sad:
i'm so glad this is happening again this year!! i'll send some named cards in later ^-^
I wanted to do more but I've started with one message! <3

Hi Gabriel (2),

I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas! The fact that you are being true to yourself is legit inspiring - don't ever doubt that you have an awesome purpose in this world and that we are lucky to have you!

Also, I saw that you are a fellow Twenty One Pilots fan - skeleton clique unite (they're my favourite all time band)! Blurryface was amazing but the Trench album is fantastic!

I didn't get to see them on the Bandito tour, but hey, something to look forward to in the future!

Remember to dance like crazy at least once this holiday season for me to one of their songs (though my silly dancing is the worst)!

I'll be thinking of you on Christmas Day, and here's to the best year ever in 2020!

Sending hugs, Izzie M (RainbowParrot from the StudentRoom - feel free to reach out) x
(edited 4 years ago)
Dear Alex (8),

Meow-y Christmas! Sorry for the pun, but I saw you like cats and my nerdy mind couldn't help it!

Seriously though, I really really hope that you have the most fantastic holiday ever - you deserve it! Thank you for reminding me that it's always important to stay true to who you are no matter what. In this day and age, it's something we tend to forget, but originality is what makes us great and what makes you so very special!

There is only one you in this galaxy (not even Thanos can change that), and we're lucky to have you!

Have a Marvel-ous (I'ma comic fan too btw) holiday season and here's to all the amazing things waiting for you next year!

I'll be thinking of you at Christmas, sending hugs,

Izzie M (RainbowParrot from the StudentRoom - feel free to reach out) x
Hi Dano,

I just wanted to drop you a line to wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. I hope you are able to enjoy the season and that you get lots of nice orange-coloured gifts :smile: I also wish you all the best for 2020: that it's a happier year for you and that you are able to enjoy it a bit :smile:

Also HUFFLEPUFFS UNITE! I've not done the Pottermore test but am fairly certain I'd be in Hufflepuff. I think it's a much-underrated house :h: Who's your fave character from Harry Potter? I'm not sure I could pick one. Did you like the films, compared with the books?

Hope you and your cat have as lovely a festive season as possible.

Take care,

Shan from TSR
Hello Aaren!
Hope you have a fulfilling Christmas period, you really do deserve it! Know that you are loved this holiday period and all year. :smile: This quote by Maya Angelou really resonates and I hope you appreciate it to: "I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'Well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you. When a larger society sees them as unattractive, as threats, as too black or too white or too poor or too fat or too thin or too sexual or too asexual, that's rough. But you can overcome that. The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach."

Know that your life matters, it matters to me, even though I may not know you.

Quick Reply

Latest