GlenCacao
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago

Name:  a340855e-b38c-4640-9e44-445edaa07893.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  41.2 KB
Hello, I've never done this before, but I'm hoping that making this thread will help motivate me to achieve higher since my current grades are leaving a lot to be desired in comparison to the grades I need for the schools that I want to attend.

A-levels

Psychology
Philosophy & Ethics
Government & Politics
B̶i̶o̶l̶o̶g̶y

GCSE grades

Eng. Lang - 9
Latin P1 - A*
Latin P2 - A*
R.E. - 8
History - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 7
Eng. Lit - 7
Maths - 5
Spanish - 5

Minimum expected grades

Psychology - A
Philosophy & Ethics - A
Government & Politics - A

AS grades

Psych. - B
Phil. - C
Pol. - U
Biology - U
Spoiler:
Show
My Politics grade doesn't actually reflect what I would have gotten because (long story short), I ended up missing the 2nd exam so I knew that I was going to get a U.
In terms of Biology... I just flopped that
The school I go to makes us do 4 subjects and I tried to drop Biology at least 4 times because I was struggling and hated it, but I wasn't allowed to each time. I at least expected to get a D, but out of a class of 20+ apparently only 7 got an E or above so...

UCAS status (As of 15/01/20120)

LNAT taken, waiting for results 👍
Application sent off 👍
Offer received from Coventry (BBB → Unconditional*) 👍
Offer received from Kent (AAB → BBB*) 👍☑️
Offer rejected from Bristol* 👎
Offer rejected from LSE* 👎
Offer withdrawn from UCL** 🚫
Unis I'm applying to

Kent
Bristol
UCL
LSE
E̶s̶s̶e̶x̶
(Coventry)

I'm applying for a Law LLB course (hopefully Law with a year abroad if get into Bristol).
The ones in italics are the ones I'm actually considering, the other 2 are ones my mum wants me to apply to. I initially made a spreadsheet of over 30 unis and split them into categories of pros and cons and narrowed them down - a picture of this should be applied below.
One thing that I'm worried about is that (apart from the week long summer school I attended @ the Uni of Essex) I haven't been to any open days or any of the unis I'm thinking of. This particularly worries me because, if I end up going to one outside of London, I'll be several hours away home and might end up being miserable; then again, I went to the open day of the 6th form I'm at now, and still hate it (although I only came here because they didn't require a 6 for Biology... which I later dropped).
My part time job takes up all of my weekend, and recently some weekdays (the manager seemingly doesn't understand I have school, she frequently asks me to come in @ 1pm when I don't close until 3pm) and most open days take place then so I can't attend them and my parents wouldn't come anyway. My mum thinks just one is enough.

Personal targets

Psychology - A (A* if I really push it)
Phil. - A
Pol. - B
My school is underachieving, so I should be able to apply for a contextual offer for grades around this calibre.

Upcoming
January mocks
:afraid: A levels :afraid:
Index

Name:  grid.PNG
Views: 79
Size:  201.4 KB
Last edited by GlenCacao; 1 week ago
Advertisement
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GlenCacao)
Hello, I've never done this before, but I'm hoping that making this thread will help motivate me to achieve higher since my current grades are leaving a lot to be desired in comparison to the grades I need for the schools that I want to attend.

A-levels
Spoiler:
Show

Psychology (AQA)
Philosophy & Ethics (OCR)
Government & Politics (Edexcel)

GCSE grades
Spoiler:
Show

Eng. Lang - 9
Latin P1 - A*
Latin P2 - A*
R.E. - 8
History - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 7
Eng. Lit - 7
Maths - 5
Spanish - 5

Predicted grades:
Spoiler:
Show

Psychology - A
Philosophy & Ethics - A

AS grades:
Spoiler:
Show

Psych. - B
Phil. - C
Pol. - U
Biology - U

My Politics grade doesn't actually reflect what I would have gotten because (long story short), I ended up missing the 2nd exam so I new that I was going to get a U.

The school I go to makes us do 4 subjects and I tried to drop Biology at least 4 times because I was struggling and hated it, but I wasn't allowed to each time. I at least expected to get a D, but out of a class of 20+ apparently only 7 got an E or above so....

UCAS status:
Spoiler:
Show

- I have the second draft of my PS complete, waiting on review from teachers.
- UCAS application filled out but not locked (what I typed is saved but -can still be changed).
- I might be doing an EPQ, but I'm not sure about that.
- I still need to book my LNAT exam, but I keep on getting a score of 17 and I want to get between 20-23.

Unis I'm applying to:
Spoiler:
Show

Bristol
Kent
LSE
UCL
Essex

I'm applying for a Law LLB course (hopefully Law with a year abroad if get into Bristol).

The ones in italics are the only ones I'm actually considering, the other 2 are ones my mum wants me to apply to. I initially made a spreadsheet of over 30 unis and split them into categories of pros and cons and narrowed them down - a picture of this should be applied below.

On thing that I'm worried about on this front is that (apart from the week long summer school I attended @ the Uni of Essex) I have not been to any open days or any of the unis I'm thinking of. This particularly worries me because, if I end up going to one outside of London, I'll be several hours away home and might end up being miserable; Then again, I went to the open day of the 6th form I'm at now, and still hate it (although I only came here because they didn't require a 6 for Biology... which I later dropped).

My part time job takes up all of my weekend, and recently some weekdays (the manager seemingly doesn't understand I have school, she frequently asks me to come in @ 1pm when I don't close until 3pm) and most open days take place then so I can't attend them and my parents wouldn't come anyway. My mum things just one is enough.

Personal targets:
Spoiler:
Show

Psych. - A (A* if I really push it)
Phil. - A
Pol. - B

My school is underachieving, so I should be able to apply for a contextual offer for grades around this calibre.

School schedule:
Spoiler:
Show

Week 1

~12hrs of free periods (no lessons at all on Tuesday).
~13hrs of lessons.

Week 2
10hrs of free period.
15hrs of lessons.

Upcoming
Spoiler:
Show

- November mocks
- Parents evening (December)
- January mocks

Other stuff:
Spoiler:
Show

I want to get my provisional driver's license and pass my theory test. I procrastinated this over the summer, so I'm trying to get it done in the October half term.

Good luck! Could I be tagged into this?
GlenCacao
Rep:
?
~ October 2nd ~
I only have one lesson today (Politics), so I spent period 1 + 2 writing up my plan for the 12 marker we were supposed to do...
Spoiler:
Show
It was cancelled, and we're doing a different 30 marker instead next Wednesday.

After we resumed school, we had a series of exams and today we had a mock exam results assembly (even though we'd had the real thing for our AS results 2 months ago)
I got:
Psychology - B1
Philosophy - 0
Politics - D3
At first, I was disappointed at only getting a B in Psychology, but the 1 next to it shows that I was only a few marks off an A (the same as in my AS exam), so I'm okay with that.
In terms of Philosophy, the only essays that the results could have been drawn from were the ones that I got a B and C in (so, a D overall ) but my teacher misplaced my book and told me that she couldn't remember what grade she had given me, so hadn't put it on the system yet. I guess she never did
We did another essay last week though and I got an A, with a few marks off of an A* which I was very proud of. I even used a new essay writing style (focused on the negatives of other theories for the first 3 paragraphs and then did the positives of the theory I was supporting for paragraph 4 and then the conclusion) which I'll definitely utilise more often now.
The only reason I got a D for the other one was because I thought we were only doing 1 question & had only revised for one, so essay #2 was just jumbled waffle.
For Politics, I don't even remember doing an exam.
The last thing we did was a 12 marker where I answered the wrong question so, if anything, the 0 should have been for Politics. Maybe it was a pity grade? I'll ask my teacher about it during p5+6
I think I'm struggling with doing all essay subjects (although, Psychology isn't necessarily an essay subject in the traditional sense i.e. it has multiple choice questions), but, yesterday, I made a mock up of a timetable which I'll attach below.
I'm also planning on making a folder per subject with notes and specifications etc.
Name:  timetable.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  85.4 KB
Spoiler:
Show
tags:
Spoiler:
Show

Last edited by GlenCacao; 3 months ago
Advertisement
GlenCacao
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
Good luck! Could I be tagged into this?
Thanks for the well wishes! Sure thing
circleofsighs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hiya!! in terms of visiting unis i’d never visited mine (manchester) before applying, i only visited when i’d got all my offers and not on an open day! so there’s always time. good luck in the LNAT!
by the way, please can i be tagged? thanks!
Advertisement
GlenCacao
Rep:
?
(Original post by circleofsighs)
hiya!! in terms of visiting unis i’d never visited mine (manchester) before applying, i only visited when i’d got all my offers and not on an open day! so there’s always time. good luck in the LNAT!
by the way, please can i be tagged? thanks!
Thank you very much for your advice and well wishes.
I'm not 100% tech savvy on TSR yet, but I'll do my best to tag you & others
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Your GYG is interesting, I would like to be tagged please! Your school are awful for making you stick with 4 subjects when you don't need them and would be better off focussing on your 3 best ones

Feel free to come over to the Law forum if you want any advice on unis for LLB, LNAT etc

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Advertisement
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
good luck
GlenCacao
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Your GYG is interesting, I would like to be tagged please! Your school are awful for making you stick with 4 subjects when you don't need them and would be better off focussing on your 3 best ones

Feel free to come over to the Law forum if you want any advice on unis for LLB, LNAT etc

Thank you, you'll be tagged from now on & thanks for the link!
The Law teacher has a LNAT practice book that she said she'd
lend me... now I just have to track her down.
Advertisement
GlenCacao
Rep:
?
Thank you!
GlenCacao
Rep:
?
~ October 3rd ~
(don't worry, I won't make a habit of long posts everyday)
Today, I don't have any lessons, at least not in a traditional sense.
Instead, we're having a uni/life skills day composed of 3 sessions;
Budgeting & Pay, a free period and Consent & Prep.

p1+2 (it's long, sorry)
Spoiler:
Show
In the budgeting session, we learned about all sorts of things (most of which I already knew, but in more detail nonetheless) such as tax and credit scores etc.
I thought that this would be especially helpful to me since I tend to overspend and am planning on saving up for either a 1 week language learning course in Japan (which will help since I'm applying for a year abroad there in Bristol & can bring it up in the interview), a 2 week (1 week in Korea, another in Japan) trip with my friend or a holiday to my home country with my mum. The trip with my mum is probably the most viable option as I would only need to save up about £650
for a round plane ticket whilst the other 2 are upwards £2,000 after all expenses .
Most of my income goes towards savings as I have been putting aside £200 (from work, I don't get an allowance) at the end of the month since January so I should already have more than enough for the mum trip and more than halfway for the other 2. However, my mum wants me to put these savings in a high interest savings account, and I agree since I don't want to see all of the money I've been saving up used up in the span of 1-2 weeks. If anything, I may borrow half from there and pay the rest of the way from the other savings I'm trying to put together (up to £60/m). Only problem is that would only leave me with around £18 and I spend around £44 on food per fortnight (mainly on junkfood as it's the closest to where I work). Plus I'll there will always be circumstances where I need to spend more for revision materials etc.
Once, I tried to buy somethings at the Co-Op for around £12.50 and my card kept getting declined, I went home to find I only had (65p) in my account that was a result of me having to buy something due to an emergency though. On the topic of the Co-Op, one near-ish my house that I can use my membership card to pay/partially pay for items with & considering how often I go there, I'll definitely
use that more often + I have studentbeans, unidays and the 25% discount at my store as well.
I'll start adding a little budgeting section now too.

budget (2 broke girls here I come)
Spoiler:
Show
Trip savings goal for this month: £45
LNAT cost: £50 (I'll try to get my school bursary for this)
Psychology A level book cost: ~£25

other stuff (on a lighter note)
Spoiler:
Show
I sent my Politics teacher my PS this morning for him to review so that's 3 teachers who have it now. Waiting on his response + I posted it in the private PS forum but I'm unsure if it went through as it's not listed on my 'threads' page, but they did say they prioritise people with 100+ posts and I only have ~40. I'll leave that for a few more days to a week before I try posting again.
I was posting in the uni forums and noticed all of the extracurriculars that people were mentioning and got a bit worried since I am currently in none (I went to a different one each day through y10-11 so I wouldn't have to stress about it in 6th form) but I'm joining the Creative Writing club. Not very related to Law, I know but I'm trying to focus on supra-curriculars for that instead (i.e. I've done debating, work experience at a firm etc. but more on that later).
I figured out why I got a D3 in my Politics exam since I finally
remember sitting it... in the first week back from the Summer break (all the way in August). I was genuinely unprepared and confused on how to structure the essay, but I'll start improving on that now.
I'm going to a concert on Saturday! Doors open @ 6 or 7:30pm but I'll be queing from 12 (:eek:) since I have standing tickets and want to be near the front.
I'm going to see Joker on Sunday, I was supposed to go tomorrow since school is closed for an inset day... but my manager wants me to come in for a 6hr shift so I'll see it right before my shift on Sunday instead.

Advertisement
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

A-levels
Spoiler:
Show

Psychology (AQA)
Philosophy & Ethics (OCR)
Government & Politics (Edexcel)

GCSE grades
Spoiler:
Show

Eng. Lang - 9
Latin P1 - A*
Latin P2 - A*
R.E. - 8
History - 8
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 7
Eng. Lit - 7
Maths - 5
Spanish - 5

Predicted grades:
Spoiler:
Show

Psychology - A
Philosophy & Ethics - A

AS grades:
Spoiler:
Show

Psych. - B
Phil. - C
Pol. - U
Biology - U

My Politics grade doesn't actually reflect what I would have gotten because (long story short), I ended up missing the 2nd exam so I new that I was going to get a U.

The school I go to makes us do 4 subjects and I tried to drop Biology at least 4 times because I was struggling and hated it, but I wasn't allowed to each time. I at least expected to get a D, but out of a class of 20+ apparently only 7 got an E or above so....

UCAS status:
Spoiler:
Show

- I have the second draft of my PS complete, waiting on review from teachers.
- UCAS application filled out but not locked (what I typed is saved but -can still be changed).
- I might be doing an EPQ, but I'm not sure about that.
- I still need to book my LNAT exam, but I keep on getting a score of 17 and I want to get between 20-23.

Unis I'm applying to:
Spoiler:
Show

Bristol
Kent
LSE
UCL
Essex

The ones in italics are the only ones I'm actually considering, the other 2 are ones my mum wants me to apply to. I initially made a spreadsheet of over 30 unis and split them into categories of pros and cons and narrowed them down - a picture of this should be applied below.

On thing that I'm worried about on this front is that (apart from the week long summer school I attended @ the Uni of Essex) I have not been to any open days or any of the unis I'm thinking of. This particularly worries me because, if I end up going to one outside of London, I'll be several hours away home and might end up being miserable; Then again, I went to the open day of the 6th form I'm at now, and still hate it (although I only came here because they didn't require a 6 for Biology... which I later dropped).

My part time job takes up all of my weekend, and recently some weekdays (the manager seemingly doesn't understand I have school, she frequently asks me to come in @ 1pm when I don't close until 3pm) and most open days take place then so I can't attend them and my parents wouldn't come anyway. My mum things just one is enough.

Personal targets:
Spoiler:
Show

Psych. - A (A* if I really push it)
Phil. - A
Pol. - B

School schedule:
Spoiler:
Show

Week 1

~12hrs of free periods (no lessons at all on Tuesday).
~13hrs of lessons.

Week 2
10hrs of free period.
15hrs of lessons.

Upcoming
Spoiler:
Show

- November mocks
- Parents evening (December)
- January mocks

Other stuff:
Spoiler:
Show

I want to get my provisional driver's license and pass my theory test. I procrastinated this over the summer, so I'm trying to get it done in the October half term.

Name:  grid.PNG
Views: 79
Size:  201.4 KB
Hey there!
So pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent I'm currently in my final year at Kent so if you have any questions about life at Kent or applications then please feel free to ask! Best of luck with your A-levels
GlenCacao
Rep:
?
~ October 7th ~

If you want to focus of just school stuff, start reading at the 'plans for today' header!

Saturday
Spoiler:
Show

Concert day!

I initially planned to get to the venue at 12 but due to a combination of laziness and disbelief that anyone would be there, I arrived at around 2.
Since I got there so early, I was number 17 in the unofficial line.
Honestly, I felt silly sitting there as I had come alone, had no experience with standing concerts and was the youngest (the venue was just off Oxford Street as well, so there many people walking past us) but I had 2 books (the ABC Murders by Agatha Christie which I finished and Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie) and some snacks to keep me company but it payed off in the end.

I was initially worried since my ticket looked like none of the others', but it was valid and I was allowed through when doors opened at 7pm. I ended up right against the barricade (more to the right than in the middle) and made friends with the woman next to me (shout out to Dominica). I'd never heard of the supporting act before, but he was really good - especially with incorporating performance art as he sang and played guitar simultaneously.

Then... the headliner came on.

Honestly, I had lots of fun at the concert and am already considering going to another of his when he next goes on tour - people from all around the world had come for the one I was at (one all the way from Brazil), the woman next to me had gone to all 5 of his shows that week and others were already talking about flying out to Dublin for his concerts in December.

Hearing his music live was amazing, he somehow managed to sound even better than he did on the tracks, and he played 2 unreleased songs for us. In the end, I didn't mind not being in the middle as he looked to the right of the stage a lot more than I expected and even smiled at me, although I'm sure he couldn't see me with the lights lol.

The concert ended at 11 and I hung around a bit to see if I could get a set-list before eventually heading home. Unfortunately, he hadn't been doing any meet-and-greets for the London gigs and I didn't manage to snag any merch, but overall it was still a great event. I got home at around 12am.

I'll attach a picture of the set before he came on, can anyone guess the artist?

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_20191005_203618.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  131.4 KB

Sunday
Spoiler:
Show

Nothing much happened on Sunday, I went to see Joker at an 11:15 viewing and then went to work.

I would rate Joker a 8/10 (the AV Club gave it a B-). I liked Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of Arthur Fleck but low key felt like the movie gave me what I was expecting 7 yet that there was something missing.
I'm no film critic, but I enjoyed the scenes where Fleck was dressed in the Joker's traditional garb the most, it felt almost familiar. A lot of the best scenes for me where in the trailer.

Another thing, it managed to build up the Joker's backstory and yet leave it ambiguous again by the end, which I thought was a good move as it's a stand alone movie & I noticed some call backs to Ledger's Joker from the Dark Knight too.

Some interesting trailers for other movies I saw were Judy & Punch (the story of Punch & Judy in an alternate light, I highly recommend watching the trailer) and Doctor Sleep, which is the sequel to The Shining where Danny is the protagonist. This interested me since I've recently been on somewhat of a King binge and read The Shining back in secondary school - in fact, I finished reading IT last week. My favourite book of his so far is The Long Walk (Misery is great, too) and I'm also watching Castle Rock which is kind of an amalgam of all of his books but with a unique story and has a great cast.

Plans for today

Watch all of the videos regarding the President on Pre-Chewed Politics, maybe read some articles from this weeks' Economist.

Take the online LNAT test.

Revise Y12 Philosophy content when I get home and start making notes.

(I doubt that I'll do all of this, but I want to get at least 1 thing - probably the LNAT test - done. I have no lessons tomorrow, so I'll have more than enough time to get this, and a lot more, done)

Concerns

I was scrolling through the 6th form subreddit and saw many posts about people submitting their UCAS applications, some even received offers and accepted them already. None of my teachers have even gone over my PS statement yet, so I'm panicking a little.
I want to go over my PS in Unifrog to see if I can improve it.

I realised that the AAA grades that my teachers told me about are my expected not predicted grades, taking into consideration how I've been doing lately, I'm afraid that my actual predicted grades may be too low to be accepted for any offers. In Psychology, I do well test wise, but when it comes to higher answer questions, I keep on getting less than half. Philosophy is okay in class but I was a mess in the AS & Politics has too many factual things to remember, I'm unclear on the different ways to answer the different types of questions and am generally somewhat disinterested in the subject.

I finally started adding my choices to UCAS, but the thought of adding LSE kind of scared me, so I only put down Bristol, Kent and UCL (I'm still on the fence about Essex).
LSE expects A*AA grades and doesn't consider contextual offers as far as I can see - also, on the spreadsheet that I made, they're the second most expensive school for accomodation and were ranked 3rd(!). I don't know anything about the school and there are no upcoming open days, so I'm nervous about possibly applying.

Kent's last open day is next Saturday from 9am-3pm, it'll be 2hrs there and back and I have work @ 3:30. I'm determined to go, but I'll either have to leave early and risk missing out important bits or try & change my shift and miss a night's revision (which I haven't even started yet ).

Also, I think I'm using worrying about uni as an excuse to keep my mind busy so I don't have to think about how behind I am.

Budget
Spoiler:
Show

£40 of £45 saved for trip.
£50 for LNAT (couldn't get the bursary )
~£25 for Psych book.

tags
Advertisement
GlenCacao
Rep:
?

~ Reading List ~
Books I've read since starting 6th form:
blue = graphic novel.

Alias Grace
Death of Captain America
Dark Satanic Mills
Fatale
The Great Gatsby
IT
The Mortal Instruments
Misery
Punisher
Purple Hibiscus
Sharp Objects
Skim
The Bell Jar
The Eternals
The Long Walk
The Long Song
The Sleeper and the Spindle
The Sworn Sword
The Stepford Wives
World War Hulk

Books I'm currently reading:
Half of a Yellow Sun
To Kill a Mockingbird
Orlando
Tales of a Geisha
The Picture of Dorian Gray
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
GlenCacao you have a busy life, wow! Thanks for the review of The Joker, I'm hoping to see it later this week and do like the main actor with the unpronouncable name

It's great that you're going to the Kent open day on Saturday - it won't matter if you leave early but it's a lot of travelling to not be able to stay as long as you might like to. Would it be possible to reduce your shifts at work, it just sounds quite hard to be juggling shifts with school and open days etc?

When will you know if your school definitely are predicting you AAA? And do you qualify for contextual offers? If so, you will hopefully get a nice offer from Bristol if the LNAT goes ok. UCL give contextual offers if you qualify and even LSE say they make applicants “contextual offers” which they are a bit vague about as they "may be marginally lower than the standard offer for the programme". Also, have you thought about Queen Mary's if you want to stay in London? They are good for Law and are likely to make offers to people predicted AAA. You probably could do better than Essex tbh, unless you particularly liked it there.

It would be great if you could also post on the Law forum so the Law people could help you with your UCAS stuff, but if you prefer to just post on here, I will carry on reading your blog with interest and commenting where I can

GlenCacao
Rep:
?
harrysbar, firstly, thank you so much for your in-depth response!

I agree that it would be a shame to leave early after a 2hr trip, so I'm going to call into work & see if I can rearrange my shift. Kent is one of the last uni on my list which is still doing open days so work won't clash with that too much, but I did find it really stressful being at school for the week and then having 6hr shifts on the weekend.
My manager split them into 3 shifts from Friday to Sunday recently, but this may be more of a problem than a solution; it's my first job & I've been there for a year, so I'm worried that if I leave I won't be able to find any other work.
I'm going to try and get all of my schoolwork done at home so that I have more time after school for revision etc.

I'm not sure about predictions, but I'll try and ask my teachers directly when I see them.
In regards to the LNAT, I've taken the practise exam about 7 times and have gotten seventeen 6/7 times (with the other mark being 16) , I may put off taking it this month and take it in January instead.

I qualify for Bristol & Kent's contextual offers consideration.

I didn't particularly like Essex, but a friend goes there and seems to like it. It seemed kind of isolated as it was a campus uni and in a very rural area + I didn't like the brutalist architecture (vain, I know) & the accommodation was kinda iffy so I don't think I'll apply.
I had briefly considered Queen Mary's, but it had the highest accommodation fee on my spreadsheet which is concerning since it's close enough to commute to and can't really justify spending than much on accommodation,*even if I don't want to miss out on the 'full' uni experience (at least in first year).
There is a uni about 30 minutes away from me that isn't too pricey & would offer me a grant since I live in the same borough. They have an open day next month that I'll try and attend.

Finally, thank you for the link, I have the law forum 'watched' but you just reminded me to check it & I've seen some topical threads which could be of help.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think I can add to my GYG to make it more interesting/appealing?
Last edited by GlenCacao; 4 months ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think you are mistaken about QMUL fees being quite that high, they say on their website that "Residential fees for 2019-20 range from £5,008.92 (£130.83 per week), to £7,809.52 (£203.98 per week) for a single room over 38.3 weeks" - but apart from that your spreadsheet is absolutely amazing, so organised! What about Royal Holloway? That's a good uni not too far from London (part of the University of London in fact) - although some people do find it a bit quiet.

I think your GYG is already appealing! Maybe it will grow as you get to know more people on TSR so you can invite them to read it. The longer you stay on TSR the more you will get to know people. I will tag LostLioness because I know she is interested in Law and also lancpe2002 and dyingstudent101 from the Law forum
Advertisement
LostLioness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think you are mistaken about QMUL fees being quite that high, they say on their website that "Residential fees for 2019-20 range from £5,008.92 (£130.83 per week), to £7,809.52 (£203.98 per week) for a single room over 38.3 weeks" - but apart from that your spreadsheet is absolutely amazing, so organised! What about Royal Holloway? That's a good uni not too far from London (part of the University of London in fact) - although some people do find it a bit quiet.

I think your GYG is already appealing! Maybe it will grow as you get to know more people on TSR so you can invite them to read it. The longer you stay on TSR the more you will get to know people. I will tag LostLioness because I know she is interested in Law and also lancpe2002 and dyingstudent101 from the Law forum
Thank you for the tag, Harrys.

I am so impressed by how organised you are, OP. Best of luck for this year! xx
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
harrysbar, firstly, thank you so much for your in-depth response!

I agree that it would be a shame to leave early after a 2hr trip, so I'm going to call into work & see if I can rearrange my shift. Kent is one of the last uni on my list which is still doing open days so work won't clash with that too much, but I did find it really stressful being at school for the week and then having 6hr shifts on the weekend.
My manager split them into 3 shifts from Friday to Sunday recently, but this may be more of a problem than a solution; it's my first job & I've been there for a year, so I'm worried that if I leave I won't be able to find any other work.
I'm going to try and get all of my schoolwork done at home so that I have more time after school for revision etc.

I'm not sure about predictions, but I'll try and ask my teachers directly when I see them.
In regards to the LNAT, I've taken the practise exam about 7 times and have gotten seventeen 6/7 times (with the other mark being 16) , I may put off taking it this month and take it in January instead.

I qualify for Bristol & Kent's contextual offers consideration.

I didn't particularly like Essex, but a friend goes there and seems to like it. It seemed kind of isolated as it was a campus uni and in a very rural area + I didn't like the brutalist architecture (vain, I know) & the accommodation was kinda iffy so I don't think I'll apply.
I had briefly considered Queen Mary's, but it had the highest accommodation fee on my spreadsheet which is concerning since it's close enough to commute to and can't really justify spending than much on accommodation,*even if I don't want to miss out on the 'full' uni experience (at least in first year).
There is a uni about 30 minutes away from me that isn't too pricey & would offer me a grant since I live in the same borough. They have an open day next month that I'll try and attend.

Finally, thank you for the link, I have the law forum 'watched' but you just reminded me to check it & I've seen some topical threads which could be of help.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think I can add to my GYG to make it more interesting/appealing?
Just to add, I lived with my family in The Edinburgh and attended the University of Edinburgh. I had an absolutely amazing time even though I didn't stay in halls. I didn't really feel like I missed out on anything as I was extremely active with socials and events.

Unless you're determined to stay at halls, I'd seriously considering Queen Mary's. I remember that I didn't want to stay with my family and Edinburgh was actually my last place..., but due to family pressure and Edinburgh's courses, I decided to stay home and go to university. Really, really had a wonderful time.

That said, if you didn't want to stay at home, I'm sure QM must offer some affordable accommodation. You should try contacting them.

At the end of the day, it boils down to you and your living situation. Go with wherever you think you'd be the happiest. :rambo:
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 months ago
GlenCacao
Rep:
?

Ah, I must have been looking at a very specific type of room. I thought that it seemed a bit pricey :rolleyes:
Thanks again for your advice, and for tagging some more people too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (420)
67.42%
No (203)
32.58%

Watched Threads