The Student Room Group

You go Glen Coco! l Y13 GYG

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

~ 13th December ~

UCAS

So, today is important not only because of the election results (The Conservatives have the majority :colonhash:) but because it’s also the day after the in-school deadline for UCAS applications to be sent off.
You would think that since I sent my application off on the 25th of November & again on the 3rd (when it was sent back to me for adjustments) that I would be in Track by now but, alas, my form tutor still has not written my reference.
Funnily enough, she’s somehow managed to write it for people who submitted theirs off after me and now my application may not be sent off until after Christmas break :frown: When I asked her yesterday, she promised that she’d have it written up ‘by the end of the week’ but I’m reluctant to trust her since she’s had 3 weeks so far to get it done :angry:

PSYCHOLOGY

My Psychology teacher told me that the main reason I got a D1 was because I misunderstood some of the questions; she recommended doing as many practice papers as I can over the holidays and, since this GYG is in desperate need of some more photos, here’s an analysis of my marks based upon the grade boundaries - green means I got 66% or above marks, yellow means I got 48-65% of marks and red is 0-47%

analysis.PNG

Tags

Spoiler

Reply 41
Original post by GlenCacao

You would think that since I sent my application off on the 25th of November & again on the 3rd (when it was sent back to me for adjustments) that I would be in Track by now but, alas, my form tutor still has not written my reference.

The minute after I posted this I got the email that I'm in Track, wow :colondollar::biggrin::dance:
The minute after I posted this I got the email that I'm in Track, wow :colondollar::biggrin::dance:

Exciting! Hope you get an offer before Christmas :h:
Reply 43
@harrysbar I've gotten an email saying that my offer is being considered by all the unis I applied to (Kent sent theirs on the same day that I went through Track) & I just got an email saying that I have a conditional offer from Coventry!!! So my backup is secure ☺️
(edited 4 years ago)
@harrysbar I've gotten an email saying that my offer is being considered by all the unis I applied to (Kent sent theirs on the same day that I went through Track) & I just got an email saying that I have a conditional offer from Coventry!!! So my backup is secure ☺️
Attachment not found

Great that you have your first offer - hopefully you will get another one soon! :yeah:
Reply 45

~ 6th January ~

Hello! :wavey: It's been 3 weeks since my last post, so :hnn:
To be quite honest, I did no revision over the break but there's no use beating myself up about it now. I also haven't received any new offers, but I did get an email from Coventry that they would change my offer from Conditional to Unconditional if I put them as my first choice :rave:

In other news, I got my timetable for my PPEs which are at the end of the month. Philosophy (1hr 30mins, Paper 1) is on the 27th & Politics (Paper 3, 80mins) is on the 30th :s-smilie: - I'm currently typing this up to avoid the 8 essay plans I still need to do for Politics :shh:
There was no information on Psychology, but I won't get my hopes up about not having an exam.

I have 135 days until my first A level exam, & feel like I'm nowhere near prepared enough :woo: but to distract myself from that, I've made a checklist of what I need to study for my PPEs.

checklist.png

By the end of the month, I want to have gotten at least a C in all PPEs, have finished typing up my Y13 notes for Psychology & be a good chunk through my Y12 ones - this may be a bit unlikely considering hw & the fact that I've had 6 (:shock:) Psychology books so far.

How has everyone's Christmas/New Year been so far?

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 46

~ 17th January ~

UCAS

So, since last week, I've been accepted by Kent 💪🏾 & rejected by Bristol :redface:

Bristol rejected me on the basis that my predicted grades (which I still haven't seen) weren't high enough & suggested that I change my course to Criminology or Social Sciences.

I declined this through their uni portal, but they have yet to update their decision on UCAS.

Since Bristol is a Russel Group & has declined me, I find it unlikely that LSE & UCL (which are apparently notoriously slow with their replies) will accept me, so it's looking like the Road to Canterbury (:biggrin:) atm.

Kent gave me a conditional offer of AAB, which they'll lower to BBB (!!) if I firm them, a decision which I'm assuming is due to my school's status as underperforming - but I'll take what I can get :daydreaming:
I'm actually really pleased to have been accepted into Kent, although I won't be going to the Applicant's Day since I think the Open Day I went to will suffice.

In other news

Mocks start in ~2 weeks

I should receive my LNAT results sometime next month

My first A level exam is in 124 days

Spoiler

~ 17th January ~

UCAS

So, since last week, I've been accepted by Kent 💪🏾 & rejected by Bristol :redface:

Bristol rejected me on the basis that my predicted grades (which I still haven't seen) weren't high enough & suggested that I change my course to Criminology or Social Sciences.

I declined this through their uni portal, but they have yet to update their decision on UCAS.

Since Bristol is a Russel Group & has declined me, I find it unlikely that LSE & UCL (which are apparently notoriously slow with their replies) will accept me, so it's looking like the Road to Canterbury (:biggrin:) atm.

Kent gave me a conditional offer of AAB, which they'll lower to BBB (!!) if I firm them, a decision which I'm assuming is due to my school's status as underperforming - but I'll take what I can get :daydreaming:
I'm actually really pleased to have been accepted into Kent, although I won't be going to the Applicant's Day since I think the Open Day I went to will suffice.

In other news

Mocks start in ~2 weeks

Spoiler

Why haven't you seen your predicted grades? How does that make any sense?
Reply 48
Original post by AmberDalia
Why haven't you seen your predicted grades? How does that make any sense?

My school is very unorganised. I asked several times for my predicted grades & was led to believe that my minimum
expected grades (which are all As) were my predicted grades when they aren't. I gave up asking about them when my
application was sent off :/
My school is very unorganised. I asked several times for my predicted grades & was led to believe that my minimum
expected grades (which are all As) were my predicted grades when they aren't. I gave up asking about them when my
application was sent off :/

That's great to hear that you've got an offer from Kent - it must have been hard to apply without knowing your predicted grades! Still, Kent has a good Law school and it's my old uni so let me know if you have any questions about it on here or via pm.

And BBB if you Firm them? That's a nice option to have :h:

~ 17th January ~

UCAS

In other news

Mocks start in ~2 weeks

Spoiler

I wish you all the best, I'll be cheering from the background! so far sounds good :smile:
Did you go to all of your chosen uni's open days? if so how did you handle travelling there?
Reply 51
Original post by Browni3
I wish you all the best, I'll be cheering from the background! so far sounds good :smile:
Did you go to all of your chosen uni's open days? if so how did you handle travelling there?

Thank you, it's always nice to know that I have someone backing me! :smile:

I didn't go to the open day for all of my chosen unis, in fact I think I only went to the open day for Kent.
I did however go to a student shadowing day for LSE & went for a week long summer school @ Essex
when I was still interested in it.

Kent was 2 hours by train, which was boring but ultimately worth since it changed by opinion about Kent &

made it my top choice + there was a lot of nice scenery to look at on the way & I brought a book to read.

LSE was about 45 mins away by train & bus, but there was a bit of traffic (:rolleyes:) since it's Central so it's probably

usually a shorter commute.

Essex was ~ 1hr 40 mins by car, but we stayed in halls for a week, did workshops, Fresher's activities, etc. for free

& it was a very good experience to add to my PS + they reimbursed us for the trip there & back :cool:

Shameless plug here, but would you like to be added to my taglist in the future?

~ 17th January ~

UCAS

In other news

Mocks start in ~2 weeks

Spoiler

Congratulations on your offer to study at Kent :biggrin:
As always, any questions about Kent, please do feel free to ask!
Best of luck with your A-levels and I hope to see you at Kent in September :biggrin:
Thank you, it's always nice to know that I have someone backing me! :smile:

I didn't go to the open day for all of my chosen unis, in fact I think I only went to the open day for Kent.
I did however go to a student shadowing day for LSE & went for a week long summer school @ Essex
when I was still interested in it.

Kent was 2 hours by train, which was boring but ultimately worth since it changed by opinion about Kent &

made it my top choice + there was a lot of nice scenery to look at on the way & I brought a book to read.

LSE was about 45 mins away by train & bus, but there was a bit of traffic (:rolleyes:) since it's Central so it's probably

usually a shorter commute.

Essex was ~ 1hr 40 mins by car, but we stayed in halls for a week, did workshops, Fresher's activities, etc. for free

& it was a very good experience to add to my PS + they reimbursed us for the trip there & back :cool:

Shameless plug here, but would you like to be added to my taglist in the future?

That's so cool! What is a student shadowing? Just being a student for a week and experiencing student life? :0 if so then wow, you've got this uni life down already xD!

And yeah I'd love to be apart of your taglist :smile: I'm super excited to follow you on your journey to adulthood :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Congratulations on your offer to study at Kent :biggrin:
As always, any questions about Kent, please do feel free to ask!
Best of luck with your A-levels and I hope to see you at Kent in September :biggrin:

Original post by harrysbar
That's great to hear that you've got an offer from Kent - it must have been hard to apply without knowing your predicted grades! Still, Kent has a good Law school and it's my old uni so let me know if you have any questions about it on here or via pm.

And BBB if you Firm them? That's a nice option to have :h:

Thank you both, if I have any questions, I'll be sure to let you know :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Browni3
I'm super excited to follow you on your journey to adulthood :biggrin:

That made me feel a little old, lol, but I'll add you to future posts :biggrin:
Reply 56

~ 5th February ~

Hello, long time no see! :wavey:

I'll keep this brief, so I'll just do a bulletpoint list of what's been going on since my last update:

I've taken 3 out of my 5 mocks, I have one tomorrow and the other on Friday.

I've been put into Psychology intervention.

I got a tutor for Philosophy & Politics (£40 per hour!!! :bawling:).

I joined a gym & aim to go at least twice a week for a month.

I still haven't gotten an update on LSE and UCL.

I'll do a full, in-depth post sometime next week :smile:

Spoiler

I got a tutor for Philosophy & Politics (£40 per hour!!! :bawling: ).

Hey at least once you pass you can start to charge people extortinate prices for tutoring too!
Reply 58
Original post by emilynxlan
Hey at least once you pass you can start to charge people extortinate prices for tutoring too!

Something to look forward to at least :biggrin:
Something to look forward to at least :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending