The Student Room Group

Have only 1 hour a week for one of the hardest A level subjects

Hello, straight to business, my school messed up big time by cancelling furthe maths after we had our results, meaning all smart lads left for better schools. unfortunately for me, my English wasn't cutting it for better schools, so I was forced to stay, desperate to do further maths, i bargained the headteachers to sign me as the only further maths student in yr 12 (luckily for me the headteacher heard about my maths achievements, which really helped out).And here comes the problem, only teacher qualified to teach further maths has a tight timetable with 2 Free periods, out of which only 1 i can attend, so am left with what seems to be an impossible task of doing Further maths with 1 hour a week of proper learning(home revisiong doesn't count) Therefore, am hoping anyone with a similar situation and can give an advice, or share some helpfull resources that can help me out. Thanks in advance!
Oh shiz that is stressful. Someone made a thread asking about how to self teach a level further maths check it out and good luck!
In year 12, I was stuck in a similar situation - I'm studying A-Levels and GCSEs at the same time so my timetable overlaps lots, and I ended up with 3 further maths lessons a fortnight. The best thing to do is to study between lessons as best you can with the textbook, and then use your taught hour to discuss anything you don't know - else, you'll end up wasting that hour being taught things you could've learnt yourself at home.

In addition to this, ask the teacher if they are free during lunch or breaktimes, or after school if you're available then. Make sure to try and ask in kinda May-ish time next year for more taught hours for year 13. the earlier you ask, the more likely they'll get more taught hours sorted for you.

If you want to ask about anything in the compulsory pure section, or if you are taking decision maths options (edexcel) then feel free to ask, and if i can't explain then i can ask my teachers for you.
Original post by daniksafin
Hello, straight to business, my school messed up big time by cancelling furthe maths after we had our results, meaning all smart lads left for better schools. unfortunately for me, my English wasn't cutting it for better schools, so I was forced to stay, desperate to do further maths, i bargained the headteachers to sign me as the only further maths student in yr 12 (luckily for me the headteacher heard about my maths achievements, which really helped out).And here comes the problem, only teacher qualified to teach further maths has a tight timetable with 2 Free periods, out of which only 1 i can attend, so am left with what seems to be an impossible task of doing Further maths with 1 hour a week of proper learning(home revisiong doesn't count) Therefore, am hoping anyone with a similar situation and can give an advice, or share some helpfull resources that can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Why can't they sign you up for support from AMSP?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Why can't they sign you up for support from AMSP?

1) they never mentioned it
2)I am guessing its a summer program only, but I need to get a decent grade in June in order to procced into second year. Therefore a summer program would be useless if I fail my AS before starting second year....
Reply 5
Original post by Hiro2468
Oh shiz that is stressful. Someone made a thread asking about how to self teach a level further maths check it out and good luck!

Thank you :adore:
Reply 6
Original post by DoNotMove
In year 12, I was stuck in a similar situation - I'm studying A-Levels and GCSEs at the same time so my timetable overlaps lots, and I ended up with 3 further maths lessons a fortnight. The best thing to do is to study between lessons as best you can with the textbook, and then use your taught hour to discuss anything you don't know - else, you'll end up wasting that hour being taught things you could've learnt yourself at home.

In addition to this, ask the teacher if they are free during lunch or breaktimes, or after school if you're available then. Make sure to try and ask in kinda May-ish time next year for more taught hours for year 13. the earlier you ask, the more likely they'll get more taught hours sorted for you.

If you want to ask about anything in the compulsory pure section, or if you are taking decision maths options (edexcel) then feel free to ask, and if i can't explain then i can ask my teachers for you.

Well the thing is, this teacher has already done way out of his "duties" to help me with GCSE's, so I think asking him for more would be ignorant + he's got new set of yr 11, that might need more help after school etc.... However, I do attend his A level yr 13 class, which I just observe and take notes. With next year, they already told me it all depends on timetables, if they match good, if not, what a shame, Basically they are saying "sorry mate we ain't changing all timetables just for ya" which I totally understand.
Reply 7
I had a timetable problem with further maths and computer science- I do further maths at local university w FMSP 90 minutes a week (abt 3 times a month). If all contact time is teaching then it's definitely doable but u have to be prepared to put in the extra 3-4 hours a week ur missing in class time without fail doing practice questions. Depends more so on ur mathematical ability, work ethic and how u learn best. Good luck.
Reply 8
Original post by inesw
I had a timetable problem with further maths and computer science- I do further maths at local university w FMSP 90 minutes a week (abt 3 times a month). If all contact time is teaching then it's definitely doable but u have to be prepared to put in the extra 3-4 hours a week ur missing in class time without fail doing practice questions. Depends more so on ur mathematical ability, work ethic and how u learn best. Good luck.

Ayy cheers, i was thinking about self study for further maths, am just scared i will learn wrong things or interoperate things differenty, but i will try
Is this just for AS further maths? It isn’t ideal, and it means you will have to do more work yourself, but people do self teach as further maths and get good grades.
You will probably do well if you’re interested enough to teach yourself, and you have one lesson a week to ask for help on anything you’re stuck with.
Well the thing is, this teacher has already done way out of his "duties" to help me with GCSE's, so I think asking him for more would be ignorant + he's got new set of yr 11, that might need more help after school etc.... However, I do attend his A level yr 13 class, which I just observe and take notes. With next year, they already told me it all depends on timetables, if they match good, if not, what a shame, Basically they are saying "sorry mate we ain't changing all timetables just for ya" which I totally understand.

That's fair enough, I guess I was just lucky that my school changed the timetable just for me. I hope next year, and this year, works out for you (:
1) they never mentioned it
2)I am guessing its a summer program only, but I need to get a decent grade in June in order to procced into second year. Therefore a summer program would be useless if I fail my AS before starting second year....

No it's an official online support programme - details here: https://amsp.org.uk/

Demand access to this - it's for schools that can't offer teaching for Further Maths.

There's also a good website here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

Quick Reply

Latest