Personal Statement and acceptance questions

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m an international student from America and had pretty bad grades due to personal reasons in high school. I’m going to a community college right now and should end first semester with straight A’s and at least one B. Second semester I plan on straight A’s as well.

I will be applying to the Foundation Year for Bsc Biomedical Sciences. If I have straight A’s and a 24 on the ACT do you think my high school grades will be regarded? I had 3/4 years that weren’t very good. My referee wants me to talk about it in my statement but every UK Uni student has said don’t regard bad grades in your statement.

Basically: How likely do you think it’d be for me to get accepted into a foundation year (requirements are BBB) with straight A’s with an occasional B and a 24 on the ACT?

Are Southampton foundation courses usually easy to get into?
username4812684
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there, you should not have anything to worry about your grades as long as your GPA mets the uni entry requirements as Southampton is not considered a competitive uni and in practice for American standards most courses are extremely easy to enter (the 4 year degreased in biomedical sciences without foundation year and AAA A level requirements for instance has 96% offer rate) especially considering that is a foundation year course you should not have any problem at all as long as you meet the entry requirements. You can find out this on "which? uni" where you can also compare other unis as well. https://university.which.co.uk/unive...0-43a0ef7df8ff

Hope this helps and good luck with your application!
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m an international student from America and had pretty bad grades due to personal reasons in high school. I’m going to a community college right now and should end first semester with straight A’s and at least one B. Second semester I plan on straight A’s as well.

I will be applying to the Foundation Year for Bsc Biomedical Sciences. If I have straight A’s and a 24 on the ACT do you think my high school grades will be regarded? I had 3/4 years that weren’t very good. My referee wants me to talk about it in my statement but every UK Uni student has said don’t regard bad grades in your statement.

Basically: How likely do you think it’d be for me to get accepted into a foundation year (requirements are BBB) with straight A’s with an occasional B and a 24 on the ACT?

Are Southampton foundation courses usually easy to get into?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (161)
44.48%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.99%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
6.08%

Watched Threads