gcses2020i24
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm not sure yet, but I've been considering studying law as an a-level. I'm ok at English ( I've got a predicted grade of 7 but I think I'll get a 6 ) but I wouldn't want to choose it as an a level - so please let me know any other subjects that I could take alongside it. If your doing a level law please tell me your opinions on the course and anything I should know! thanks
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It all depends on your aspirations.

If you dont care what you uni you go, take general studies, critical thinking. Whatever.

Of course, the better universities have preferences for courses. Most will advise the above are not acceptable A-levels. The best advice is - study what interests you. Your grades are important and studying a course you are interested in will give you the best chance of getting the grades you need to get in somewhere good.

As for types of course? Law is an essay-writing course. Other similar courses include History. Related courses to law both history and politics, where you will see some cross-over.
Last edited by DCDCo; 5 months ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DCDCo)
It all depends on your aspirations.

If you dont care what you uni you go, take general studies, critical thinking. Whatever.

Of course, the better universities have preferences for courses. Most will advise the above are not acceptable A-levels. The best advice is - study what interests you. Your grades are important and studying a course you are interested in will give you the best chance of getting the grades you need to get in somewhere good.

As for types of course? Law is an essay-writing course. Other similar courses include History. Related courses to law both history and politics, where you will see some cross-over.
Not a good idea to pick general studies, critical thinking - lots of unis don't accept them
(Original post by gcses2020i24)
I'm not sure yet, but I've been considering studying law as an a-level. I'm ok at English ( I've got a predicted grade of 7 but I think I'll get a 6 ) but I wouldn't want to choose it as an a level - so please let me know any other subjects that I could take alongside it. If your doing a level law please tell me your opinions on the course and anything I should know! thanks
Law is an acceptable A level subject, you should pick it if it interests you. What other subjects are you considering? Good to do at least one traditional one if your others are new subjects you are picking up for the first time at A level.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
There are no required subjects for Law - you could be doing three sciences and as long you get the required grades, thats fine.

The most important thing is that you pick three subjects where you are most confident of getting high grades - and that's usually subjects you enjoy. Most people pick an 'essay subject' - History, English, Sociology etc - as that can help give you essay writing skills for Uni but it wont matter if you don't.

You'll read a lot of rubbish on TSR about A level Law and that 'Unis don't like it'. This is total nonsense btw.
Read this article from AQA Exam Board : https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subject...-W-UNI-LAW.PDF
Millie246
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I loved studying alevel law. Pick alevels that you will do well in, as that is the main thing (it will help if you are interested in them) and make sure you go to a school/college that has good teachers in those subjects! If you want to do law in the future, it might be a good idea to study law at a level, as it’ll give you an idea of what it is actually like, and a head start in the first year of uni, as law is not like studying anything you would’ve done at GCSE. As mentioned previously, unis don’t look down on law alevel, it is in every list of favoured subjects that I have read.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads