Iqra_hussain216
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I don’t really understand Kants philosophical theories
I get the categorical imperative that he proposed but I don’t really understand the meaning behind the phenomenal world and the noumenal world and what deontological and teleological ethics is.
I just started learning about philosophy hence the confusion
GlenCacao
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can't help you with the first question since we must be on different specs, or I just haven't gone over that yet,
but deontological ethics is concerned with the duty/obligation behind the action whilst teleological has always been explained
to me as being concerned with the action itself.

A best example of this I can think of is the phrase: "the end justifies the means" which would be teleological since
it doesn't focus on the action that led to the 'means' (result).

The inverse ("the means justifies the end") would be deontological because it focuses on the action that led to the result.

Think of it like the D in 'deon' stands for duty, whilst the Tel in 'teleo' stands for telos (which means ultimate goal/reason for doing something).

The Crash Course Philosophy series (which I highly recommend) on youtube on Kantian Ethics uses the example of you and a friend being at home. The doorbell rings and a masked gunman asks you where your friend is, you lie and say he isn't home all the while not knowing
that your friend had overheard the question and left. The gunman leaves and encounters your friend on the
way and kills them - if you had told the truth, your friend could have gotten away. Therefore, Kantian Ethics is deontological because
it has ethical rules that should never be broken despite the result (i.e. if you have to kill one person to save the rest of humanity, you should refuse to kill them) whereas teleological theories such as Utilitarianism place more importance on the result than the action, so they
would kill the person to save humanity.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Noumena = ding an sich, thing-in-itself, essence. It is beyond human grasp because it cannot be determined via the senses and is consequently ineffable

Phenomenal = available to us via experience, sense data etc.
Iqra_hussain216
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ah I think I get that. Thank you so much!
So teleological is the consequence that determines our moral worth whilst deontological is the action that determines our self worth. So how would I argue that teleological ethics enables immortality? Because if the person is aware of the consequences surely they wouldn’t take any actions in the first place?
We were arguing that statement in class and i didn’t get it at all
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Iqra_hussain216)
Ah I think I get that. Thank you so much!
So teleological is the consequence that determines our moral worth whilst deontological is the action that determines our self worth. So how would I argue that teleological ethics enables immortality? Because if the person is aware of the consequences surely they wouldn’t take any actions in the first place?
We were arguing that statement in class and i didn’t get it at all
Have a read and a think:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/teleological-ethics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.15%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed