Occupational therapy second degree

Watch this thread
Chippety
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

Does anyone know whether it’s possible to get any student finance for doing an occupational therapy degree if you already have a degree (and have used student loans)? I live in England.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hannah-Louise
Ironmike
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
This information might be out of date, but last I heard as long as you have paid off any existing student loan, then OT is on the list of shortage professions, and therefore the answer is yes.

https://www.rcot.co.uk/news/new-legi...erapy-students

When you're qualified, you are currently in super high demand in London NHS trusts.
Space19
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi sorry to jump on this, but I was wondering, do you have to have paid the first loan to get funding for the second degree?
I have a degree in Psychology, and would like to do an MSc Occupational Therapy but I haven’t paid my previous loan.
Ironmike
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Space19)
Hi sorry to jump on this, but I was wondering, do you have to have paid the first loan to get funding for the second degree?
I have a degree in Psychology, and would like to do an MSc Occupational Therapy but I haven’t paid my previous loan.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

If you already have a degree
You may be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances.

You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree.

You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a part-time Honours degree, joint Honours degree or Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

engineering
computer science
technologies
medicine and allied subjects
biological sciences
agriculture and related subjects
physical sciences
mathematical sciences

You could also be eligible if you’re starting a healthcare course on or after 1 August 2017.
Space19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi
Thank you
I have an Honours Degree in BSc Psychology (Hons)
I want to do a masters in Occupational Therapy
Ironmike
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
When I went through this with doing a physiotherapy degree having already done a degree before, the stipulation was that I needed to have cleared any previous student loan before they would consider giving me further. This may have changed in the intervening years. Simplest thing to do would be to call the student loan company I would have thought.
lisacjones
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi,I can help here,I graduated from a Social Science BA in July 2019 (funded by SFE) and enrolled straight on to an MSc in Occupational Therapy (funded by SFE) in August 2019 which is fully funded (course fees and maintenance loan) in the same way an undergraduate degree is despite being a masters which lasts for 2 years.The only caveat is that because my university charge £10,000 per year for the masters tuition fees I have to make up the shortfall of £750 per year myself as the maximum SFE will award is £9250.Hope this helps! x
Space19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lisacjones)
Hi,I can help here,I graduated from a Social Science BA in July 2019 (funded by SFE) and enrolled straight on to an MSc in Occupational Therapy (funded by SFE) in August 2019 which is fully funded (course fees and maintenance loan) in the same way an undergraduate degree is despite being a masters which lasts for 2 years.The only caveat is that because my university charge £10,000 per year for the masters tuition fees I have to make up the shortfall of £750 per year myself as the maximum SFE will award is £9250.Hope this helps! x
Hi thanks for the reply.
So did you have to use your maintenance grant/ loan to pay for that?

Do you mind if I ask how you coped money wise?
I’m a beauty therapist with my own business just wondering if I could do some hours still?
I’m going to ring student finance later anyway Or maybe I’ll ring them if I actually get in.. don’t want to jinx it 😳😳
lisacjones
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey, no probs!

I plan to use some of my maintenance loan to pay the £750 although I think some Uni's run the masters course at the SFE limit of £9250 per year so depending on where you study you might not need to contribute.

At UCLan where I study the course is taught over 3 days so you have 2 weekdays and weekends to fit in some shifts at work if you can, I still manage 16/20 hours per week but there is A LOT to learn so be prepared to do lots of self study/pre learning and also homework particularly if you don't have any science a levels (I don't - dont even have a science GCSE!)

Although I know other Uni's such as Salford where I also got a place but kept as my second choice run the course over 5 days which would make it more difficult to work around.

If you need any further advice feel free to give me a shout xx
Space19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Oh thanks that’s helpful
It’s Leeds I’m applying for.
I’ve got a Psychology Degree and did anatomy & physiology in my Beauty Qualifications but that was 23 years ago now haha
I have my interview tomorrow.
Im so scared!
I’ve been ill all weekend so not researched as much as I’d have liked 😕
lisacjones
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Oh thanks that’s helpful
It’s Leeds I’m applying for.
I’ve got a Psychology Degree and did anatomy & physiology in my Beauty Qualifications but that was 23 years ago now haha
I have my interview tomorrow.
Im so scared!
I’ve been ill all weekend so not researched as much as I’d have liked 😕
I hope it went well, I was really nervous too!

There are quite a few people on my course with Psychology as their undergrad so im sure you will be absolutely fine!

x
Space19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lisacjones)
I hope it went well, I was really nervous too!

There are quite a few people on my course with Psychology as their undergrad so im sure you will be absolutely fine!

x
Yes I got in 🙂🙂🙂🙂 thank you xx
lisacjones
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yes I got in 🙂🙂🙂🙂 thank you xx
Aww fab well done! enjoy! x
RTay83
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'd love to know more about your experience in studying OT at Leeds. I'm applying as an undergraduate at 38 years old having done a degree in the USA in a non related subject. I'm super nervous to submit my application as it's what I really want to do for the rest of my working life and I'm terrified I won't get in. I'm glad to read your interview went well (I know it was 2 years ago now) and I hope you're enjoying the course!
Hannah-Louise M
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Go for it 🙂 I’m in year 2 now on placement and have absolutely no hesitation in saying it was an the best choice! There are lots of jobs for graduates and so many new and emerging roles for OTs.
RTay83
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hannah-Louise M)
Go for it 🙂 I’m in year 2 now on placement and have absolutely no hesitation in saying it was an the best choice! There are lots of jobs for graduates and so many new and emerging roles for OTs.
That's brilliant to hear thank you so much. Due to having two young children I'm only applying to Leeds Beckett so very much putting all my eggs in one basket!!
Space19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi I have just done a masters in OTI had a undergrad loan from 3 years ago. What you have to do is apply as another undergrad loan, you can do that as it’s an NHS course.Speak to student finance they are really helpful.Then you can apply for a £5000 a year bursary through the NHS learning support fund (which you don’t pay back) , again they are really helpful.
RTay83
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi I have just done a masters in OTI had a undergrad loan from 3 years ago. What you have to do is apply as another undergrad loan, you can do that as it’s an NHS course.Speak to student finance they are really helpful.Then you can apply for a £5000 a year bursary through the NHS learning support fund (which you don’t pay back) , again they are really helpful.
Thank you. It looks like I should be eligible for the full amount of student finance. I just submitted my application so feeling very nervous!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (220)
42.31%
The paper was reasonable (223)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.23%
It was TERRIBLE (29)
5.58%

Watched Threads