The Student Room Group

Oxbridge application

Hi, i am thinking of applying to Oxford (more than Cambridge, but considering that, too) to do English Lit. I got 9 (Lit), 8 (Lang), 88 (Music and Drama), 8 (RS Short Course), 7777 (Bio, Chem, Phys and geography), 66 (French and Maths) so 988(8)777766, Would i have a chance of getting in? I also have my bronze and silver DofE, grade 8 in singing and flute (working on diploma but won't be completed in time for my application) and a few other things. Thank you!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i am thinking of applying to Oxford (more than Cambridge, but considering that, too) to do English Lit. I got 9 (Lit), 8 (Lang), 88 (Music and Drama), 8 (RS Short Course), 7777 (Bio, Chem, Phys and geography), 66 (French and Maths) so 988(8)777766, Would i have a chance of getting in? I also have my bronze and silver DofE, grade 8 in singing and flute (working on diploma but won't be completed in time for my application) and a few other things. Thank you!!

will you do really well in the entrance exam and interview? otherwise i see no reason why your A level predictions will be that of a star pupil.

also sorry to break it to you, but unis don't give a monkeys about DofE. students are really lied to about it
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
will you do really well in the entrance exam and interview? otherwise i see no reason why your A level predictions will be that of a star pupil.

also sorry to break it to you, but unis don't give a monkeys about DofE. students are really lied to about it

Hi haha sorry idk how to interpret "i see no reason why you A level predictions will be that of a star pupil" - did you mean it a way of saying i should be fine grade-wise or did you mean it that i wouldn't be fine?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi haha sorry idk how to interpret "i see no reason why you A level predictions will be that of a star pupil" - did you mean it a way of saying i should be fine grade-wise or did you mean it that i wouldn't be fine?

if, and only if you are predicted 4A*s, do you think Oxford would believe your predictions to be grounded in reality? what actual aspect of your application will put you in the top % of applicants?
(Oxford student here - 4th year chemist)

It can't hurt to give an application a go! I know lots of people who didn't think they'd get in and applied just on a whim and ended up getting in. What the admissions tutors are really looking for is people who they would be willing to teach because they are enthusiastic about their subject and can think on their feet when they're given a problem they haven't seen before.

The interview and entrance tests are the real big thing that usually decides it. Make sure you don't lie in your personal statement and be willing to talk about anything you mention.

Ignore the person who said "will you do really well in the entrance exam and interview? otherwise i see no reason why your A level predictions will be that of a star pupil.". Worst case scenario, you don't get a place (not that big a deal). Best case scenario, you get in! You may as well try - what's to lose?

Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5

if, and only if you are predicted 4A*s, do you think Oxford would believe your predictions to be grounded in reality? what actual aspect of your application will put you in the top % of applications.

Absolute rubbish 4A* indeed!

Original post by amarkham09
(Oxford student here - 4th year chemist)

It can't hurt to give an application a go! I know lots of people who didn't think they'd get in and applied just on a whim and ended up getting in. What the admissions tutors are really looking for is people who they would be willing to teach because they are enthusiastic about their subject and can think on their feet when they're given a problem they haven't seen before.

The interview and entrance tests are the real big thing that usually decides it. Make sure you don't lie in your personal statement and be willing to talk about anything you mention.

Ignore the person who said "will you do really well in the entrance exam and interview? otherwise i see no reason why your A level predictions will be that of a star pupil.". Worst case scenario, you don't get a place (not that big a deal). Best case scenario, you get in! You may as well try - what's to lose?

Good luck!

Totally agree.As long as you are predicted grades required by Oxbridge then why not apply.Lots of people improve between GCSE and A level and it would also depend on how you did compared to others in your cohort at school.So if you were one of highest achievers this will be taken into account.Cambridge place less weight on GCSE's than Oxford but it depends on context as I said.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest