HK cop took foreign reporter's eye

Watch
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49910636

Hong Kong police - or "public servants doing their duty" as someone puts it - shot an Indonesian journalist on official duty in the eye - perhaps Good bloke believes to be a part of the torso area. Her lawyer said earlier that she has no permanently lost her right eye.

There are a total of around 120,000 Indonesian citizens residing and working in Hong Kong.

For the Chinese apologists who wish to justify the police's action, you can watch the reporter's own live feed, when she was standing among a group of reporter, and broadcasted herself being shot at around the 32 minute mark: https://www.facebook.com/koransuara/...5956760774316/.

This is the second right eye permanently taken by the "public servants doing their duty", the first being the right eye of a medic. These "public servants doing their duty", without "dead eye aiming skills" have shot multiple people straight in the head, against their own guidelines.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)

Hong Kong police - or "public servants doing their duty" as someone puts it - shot an Indonesian journalist on official duty in the eye - perhaps Good bloke believes to be a part of the torso area. Her lawyer said earlier that she has no permanently lost her right eye.

There are a total of around 120,000 Indonesian citizens residing and working in Hong Kong.

For the Chinese apologists who wish to justify the police's action, you can watch the reporter's own live feed, when she was standing among a group of reporter, and broadcasted herself being shot at around the 32 minute mark: https://www.facebook.com/koransuara/...5956760774316/.

This is the second right eye permanently taken by the "public servants doing their duty", the first being the right eye of a medic. These "public servants doing their duty", without "dead eye aiming skills" have shot multiple people straight in the head, against their own guidelines.
You need to watch yourself or you end up looking as silly (admittedly it would be very hard) as the angery penguin person.

This is a rare situation and when there are large civil protests plus tempers and people throwing things then sometimes police panic. Its regrettable some people have been shot, but they have been rare incidents. The individuals throwing molotov cocktails need to pack it in. HK people are better than that and the way they have protested so far has been ingenious, effective and brave. Angerye penguin will be only too pleased to see the tanks go in to teach HK a lesson. Only yesterday he pointed out an old lady was frightened and the HK police had to help her.

Today they have shamed the UK with an amazing transgender story because they are an LGBT activist as is the Chinese government.

Btw the guy that was shot, then if he did have an iron bar and had been racing towards the police, its the risk he took and being shot would be a probable outcome. Keep the protests peaceful and dont give them an excuse.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whilst it very unfortunate that this poor lady lost her eye im finding it slightly difficult to be too on her side given that she was intermingling with the rioters and she knew the police were responding with such force ergo there was a fair chance of being hit.
Once again it is rather sad but its little different from a war reporter getting a leg blown off, the risks were known.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I do not defend Chinese policy. I defended the policeman who defended himself against an armed attacker. This journalist was very foolish in being in among the mob.
El Salvador
(Original post by 999tigger)
You need to watch yourself or you end up looking as silly (admittedly it would be very hard) as the angery penguin person.

This is a rare situation and when there are large civil protests plus tempers and people throwing things then sometimes police panic. Its regrettable some people have been shot, but they have been rare incidents. The individuals throwing molotov cocktails need to pack it in. HK people are better than that and the way they have protested so far has been ingenious, effective and brave. Angerye penguin will be only too pleased to see the tanks go in to teach HK a lesson. Only yesterday he pointed out an old lady was frightened and the HK police had to help her.

Today they have shamed the UK with an amazing transgender story because they are an LGBT activist as is the Chinese government.

Btw the guy that was shot, then if he did have an iron bar and had been racing towards the police, its the risk he took and being shot would be a probable outcome. Keep the protests peaceful and dont give them an excuse.
If people had only marched peacefully, you know what would have happened? Because 1 million...2 million did do that.

The extradition bill would have passed.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
If people had only marched peacefully, you know what would have happened? Because 1 million...2 million did do that.

The extradition bill would have passed.
They want violence as a justification to send the tanks in. You can see Angery penguin wants it. Dont give them the excuse.
El Salvador
(Original post by 999tigger)
They want violence as a justification to send the tanks in. You can see Angery penguin wants it. Dont give them the excuse.
First of all, the police has (officially) admitted that they sent in plain-clothed officers to pretend to be protesters. They could have done it themselves, whether they have done it already.

China isn't sending the tanks in not because they haven't found the "excuse". It's because at any given time, China has tens of millions of dollars around in Hong Kong, with even more fixed assets, and of course even more money going in and out every year. Xi himself has properties in Hong Kong (which are worth some tens of millions). It would also mean no trade deal with the US. And investors withdrawing from Hong Kong. Do you know how much Hong Kong contributes to China's foreign investments? 70%.

If international investors stop believing in Hong Kong, China will be left with a currency not freely exchanged in the market, stock markets that could only attract money from within, and they'll get 50-60% less in foreign investments. This isn't even about whether international sympathies would be with Hong Kong, that's irrelevant. Money doesn't care about conscience and international investors would leave anywhere where their money would not be safe. An incorporated Hong Kong would be no difference to China and investors would have little reason to invest, an incorporated Hong Kong overrun by the military with a revolting population, even less so.
El Salvador
(Original post by Good bloke)
I do not defend Chinese policy. I defended the policeman who defended himself against an armed attacker. This journalist was very foolish in being in among the mob.
So now you're calling reporters a "mob", I see. Because that's who she was with, a group of reporters. She was not among the protesters, unlike the medic (who should also never have been shot).
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So now you're calling reporters a "mob", I see. Because that's who she was with, a group of reporters. She was not among the protesters, unlike the medic (who should also never have been shot).
You don't understand the difference between the reporter being 'a member of the mob' and the reporter being 'in among the mob', clearly.
El Salvador
(Original post by Good bloke)
You don't understand the difference between the reporter being 'a member of the mob' and the reporter being 'in among the mob', clearly.
You lack the skills to comprehend "it's only a group of reporters", apparently. There was *no* protester among them.

Oh and your public servants doing their duty has been exposed to have switched the shot boy's *plastic* stick with a metal bar: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...7&id=710359436

oh and they shot a 14-year-old today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (54)
29.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.15%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
54.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.61%

Watched Threads