Is it compulsory for me to pray as a muslim?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm afraid that when i attend the DofE expedition I'm not sure when im going to have to pray and where i should be facing.
verycoolperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
yes it is compulsory for you to pray as a Muslim and no you can't skip the prayer and make it up later if you missed it intentionally.
If you very much think you won't be able to pray on the trip then don't go, not knowing the direction is okay as you can use a phone to find the direction or a compass
username4933904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm afraid that when i attend the DofE expedition I'm not sure when im going to have to pray and where i should be facing.
(Original post by verycoolperson)
yes it is compulsory for you to pray as a Muslim and no you can't skip the prayer and make it up later if you missed it intentionally.
If you very much think you won't be able to pray on the trip then don't go, not knowing the direction is okay as you can use a phone to find the direction or a compass
and to follow on from this person - when on the expedition you can simply ask your supervisors "where can I pray"

nobody will say "you aren't allowed to pray - this is the dictatorship of DofE, you can not worship your God". This will not happen.

It should be doable and definitely not something you should be embarrassed about.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
not knowing the direction is okay as you can use a phone to find the direction or a compass
Nice mix of superstitious nonsense and technology there!
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’m not sure if you’re serious or not!
I can’t believe that you suggest not going on the trip
Or that God would find it so offensive that they missed a prayer!!!
Come on
reyjusuf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You can pray anytime anywhere. Religious texts are guidelines, not law
verycoolperson
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I’m not sure if you’re serious or not!
I can’t believe that you suggest not going on the trip
Or that God would find it so offensive that they missed a prayer!!!
Come on
i am advising him from an islamic point of view which it seems he came here for
reyjusuf
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just pray on your airplane seat while sitting, facing forward.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by reyjusuf)
Just pray on your airplane seat while sitting, facing forward.
Im going to go basically camp for a duke of edinburgh award which is an opportunity i dont want to miss
Anonymous #1
(Original post by HumblyBumbly)
and to follow on from this person - when on the expedition you can simply ask your supervisors "where can I pray"

nobody will say "you aren't allowed to pray - this is the dictatorship of DofE, you can not worship your God". This will not happen.

It should be doable and definitely not something you should be embarrassed about.
Is it possible for me to do fajr and zhuhr in the morning and asr maghrib and isha at night whilst sitting down because i feel soo uncomfortable if people are watching and then i get distracted and start thinking about something else so therefore doing at night and morning i cannot get distracted that easily. And also i cannot perform udhu so what can i do? And also is it ok if i could pray sitting down
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Go! Prayer 🙏 is in your heart not on a schedule or a counter.
Anonymous #1
I dunno but it feels best for me to do 2 in morning and 3 at night
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ltsmith)
what prayer are you talking about specifically? i know that jumu'ah is the most important one but very few muslims pray 5 times a day (well atleast in my experience)
The 5 main prayers of the day
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The 5 main prayers of the day
I mean pretty sure that God wants what is best for your life.
I’m Christian so it’s different but I think we both believe that He has a plan set out for us. If that’s the case then you are meant to go, if the opportunity has been made available to you.
He will understand the reason for your “random “ prayer. After all, it’s in your heart. The times are set by man not God. He’s always listening!
Have a great time and a worthwhile learning experience
verycoolperson
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is it possible for me to do fajr and zhuhr in the morning and asr maghrib and isha at night whilst sitting down because i feel soo uncomfortable if people are watching and then i get distracted and start thinking about something else so therefore doing at night and morning i cannot get distracted that easily. And also i cannot perform udhu so what can i do? And also is it ok if i could pray sitting down
no that is not allowed, the prayers have specific time slots in which they will be valid, and you must pray with what you're able to, if you're physically able to stand and no one is preventing you, you have to, any prayer down sitting down will be invalid

(Original post by Sammylou40)
I mean pretty sure that God wants what is best for your life.
I’m Christian so it’s different but I think we both believe that He has a plan set out for us. If that’s the case then you are meant to go, if the opportunity has been made available to you.
He will understand the reason for your “random “ prayer. After all, it’s in your heart. The times are set by man not God. He’s always listening!
Have a great time and a worthwhile learning experience
this advice ^ is not applicable to Islam or Muslims
reyjusuf
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This is the globalization era. Islam needs to be more flexible.
Anonymous #1
no that is not allowed, the prayers have specific time slots in which they will be valid, and you must pray with what you're able to, if you're physically able to stand and no one is preventing you, you have to, any prayer down sitting down will be invalid

this advice ^ is not applicable to Islam or Muslims
im sure allah would understand with the situation im in
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Faithful Muslims have gone on DofE expeditions before, and they will continue to do so.

Ask the faith leaders you trust for advice on what you should do. They will have encountered situations like this before, and will be able to give you pointers.
verycoolperson
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
that is pretty interesting for you to assume a thing on the behalf of Allah, do you care to provide any evidence or are you just making things up?
zoyasaucee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
use an app on your phone to figure which way the qibla is and in terms of when, im pretty sure you can join your prayers up when travelling or even just pray when convenient!! as long as you try and not miss any
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (67)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (75)
17.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
9.26%
Isolating with family (26)
6.02%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (18)
4.17%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (35)
8.1%
Loneliness (42)
9.72%
Financial worries (15)
3.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (42)
9.72%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.94%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (42)
9.72%

Watched Threads