The Student Room Group

The Royal Opera House

..what exactly are you supposed to wear to an opera? :p:

Does anyone have any idea on just how much people dress up? It's not like I'm sitting in the >£100 seats, where I know people will be done up to the nines - I'll be right up in the Amphitheatre (paying ~£35 for my ticket..).

I don't want to stand out either way - either being to casual/dressed down, or being way too dressed up.

Anyone, help? :biggrin:
Reply 1
I would wear the same sort of outfit that would work for a family meal - like a 60th birthday or something - at a smart restaurant. Imagine that you were going out for dinner either before or after the opera, and wear something that would be suitable for that. There will be a few people there in jeans, a few people there in long strappy dresses and just about everything in between.
Reply 2
Anything, unfortunately in my opinion.

'smart casual' I think is really the minimum requirement, so anything apart from trackies and ripped jeans tbh. Any kind of dress would be fine, or a smart pair of jeans and blouse or such.
There's no dress code for watching something at the opera house.

People think there is because it's seen as perhaps, an elitist thing to go to.

But really, you can just wear whatever you want.

But I'd just suggest wearing a smart/casual thing. :smile:
Reply 4
Aha, cheers guys. :smile:

@ ArchedEdge: I think my main concern is not standing out too much. :p: So, I don't want to wear something if everyone else is wearing something different!
Reply 5
Wear something nice, but not over the top. I've been three times to the ballet there and just wore what I'd wear if I was going for a meal.
Some people do take the opportunity to wear something really nice, but alot of the time if people are sitting higher up they don't really dress up. Alot of the audience are people visiting London and have managed to get cheap tickets last minute.
Oooo - I went to the Royal Opera House in March and people really did make an effort, ie the women/girls in lovely evening dresses, men in nice suits - in there is sooooo posh, I felt like I didn't dress up enough.

All I can say is do make an effort! :smile: Also refreshments in there aint cheap! lol

Have a good time.
Reply 7
Erk, now I'm confused.

What if I dressed up, but not to the point of embarassment travelling on the train (i.e. "Why the hell is she dressed like that on a train?!")?

Knee-length black satin strapless dress? Looks quite dressy: I was considering wearing it to my leavers' do, but decided it wasn't dressy enough for that. :p:

Wish I had a link or a picture, but you get the general idea, right?

Also, hairwise.. up, for definite? Haha, all these little things.. I feel like it'll make all the difference for these three hours of my life, though.
Fjarskafinn
Erk, now I'm confused.

What if I dressed up, but not to the point of embarassment travelling on the train (i.e. "Why the hell is she dressed like that on a train?!")?

Knee-length black satin strapless dress? Looks quite dressy: I was considering wearing it to my leavers' do, but decided it wasn't dressy enough for that. :p:

Wish I had a link or a picture, but you get the general idea, right?

Also, hairwise.. up, for definite? Haha, all these little things.. I feel like it'll make all the difference for these three hours of my life, though.

Can you not wear something that looks casual/smart for your trip to the theatre and then jazz it up when you get there? are you staying at a hotel or anything?

When I was there some of the women/girls had their hair up, some down, some in a wrap with a clip in place - it all depends on what you feel is best really, if it goes with what your wearing and most importantly makes you comfortable.
Reply 9
DancinBallerina
Can you not wear something that looks casual/smart for your trip to the theatre and then jazz it up when you get there? are you staying at a hotel or anything?

When I was there some of the women/girls had their hair up, some down, some in a wrap with a clip in place - it all depends on what you feel is best really, if it goes with what your wearing and most importantly makes you comfortable.

Unfortunate work circumstances mean that I'm racing across the south of England from Bath to London, leaving 45 minutes to get to Covent Garden once I'm there! We really wanted to see this opera, and Tuesday is the final night.. :biggrin:

I think I'll have it up - my shoulders look nice in this dress :smile:

Thanks for your first-hand-experience advice!!
Fjarskafinn
Unfortunate work circumstances mean that I'm racing across the south of England from Bath to London, leaving 45 minutes to get to Covent Garden once I'm there! We really wanted to see this opera, and Tuesday is the final night.. :biggrin:

I think I'll have it up - my shoulders look nice in this dress :smile:

Thanks for your first-hand-experience advice!!

Ahhhhh.

OP - I reckon you should just go for the dress (if the weather is being a mare on Tues then go for a nice top with smart black trousers). I even said to my mum ''Gawd people really have dressed up for this event'' - it was a Ballet I went to see - Sleeping Beauty.

Whatever you choose just make sure you'll be happy in it and comfortable.

Mind me asking what opera are you going to see?

No worries about the advice :smile: - thought would offer some input seeing as my tootsies have touched Royal Opera House soil lol.

EDIT: With the Satin strapless dress- maybe have a bolero top/cardigan with it, so your shoulders aren't bare and it can be dressed down (with bolero on), dressed up (with bolero off) - if that makes sense? . . .
Reply 11
DancinBallerina
Ahhhhh.

OP - I reckon you should just go for the dress (if the weather is being a mare on Tues then go for a nice top with smart black trousers). I even said to my mum ''Gawd people really have dressed up for this event'' - it was a Ballet I went to see - Sleeping Beauty.

Whatever you choose just make sure you'll be happy in it and comfortable.

Mind me asking what opera are you going to see?

No worries about the advice :smile: - thought would offer some input seeing as my tootsies have touched Royal Opera House soil lol.

Apparently the weather's going to be sweltering on Tuesday.. I think the dress will be my best bet (I showed the person I'm going with, they've been to many an event at the Royal Opera House, and they approve.. but they might be simply dazzled by the sight of a girl in a pretty dress. :p:), and I definitely feel comfortable in it.

We're going to see Ariadne Auf Naxos, with Deborah Voigt as Ariadne. :smile:
Fjarskafinn
Apparently the weather's going to be sweltering on Tuesday.. I think the dress will be my best bet (I showed the person I'm going with, they've been to many an event at the Royal Opera House, and they approve.. but they might be simply dazzled by the sight of a girl in a pretty dress. :p:), and I definitely feel comfortable in it.

We're going to see Ariadne Auf Naxos, with Deborah Voigt as Ariadne. :smile:

Oooo in that case, dress it is then. LoL - I tend to have 2 outfits put to one side for such reasons - stoopid weather lol :rolleyes:

From what you've said, the dress does sound nice and appropriate too - In fact if i correctly remember I did see some lovely satin dresses worn by girls there lol, i just wish I had made more of an effort - I went in smart black trousers, top and black boots :cool: (although March was a tad cold for me for a dress tbh) lol, completely didn't expect it to be soo posh!

Latest

Trending

Trending