Title
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Title
Genetics often play a big part in it. As does lifestyle (e.g. smoking and lung cancer for one example) and some don't really have a reason. Things like this just happen for no reason at all.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Title
So many compared to what?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Drewski)
So many compared to what?
Compared to like the 1930s/1960s days
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Title
Cancer is caused by one small stage of the cell reproduction process not working as it should. That means that the longer you live, the more likely that mistake is to happen
Anonymous #1
(Original post by umbrellala)
Cancer is caused by one small stage of the cell reproduction process not working as it should. That means that the longer you live, the more likely that mistake is to happen
Wow this world is hell. Those that died but didn’t die from cancer are lucky in a way
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow this world is hell. Those that died but didn’t die from cancer are lucky in a way
Not necessarily as they died of other causes that we have now managed to combat
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Not necessarily as they died of other causes that we have now managed to combat
And some died from other things like car accidents which no one can do anything about
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Compared to like the 1930s/1960s days
You can't say that people then didn't get cancer - we simply don't know if they did. The ability to detect it just didn't exist in the same way then.

And people died a lot younger (especially in the 40s...) so didn't have the same chance for cancer to develop in later life.
Anonymous #1
You can't say that people then didn't get cancer - we simply don't know if they did. The ability to detect it just didn't exist in the same way then.

And people died a lot younger (especially in the 40s...) so didn't have the same chance for cancer to develop in later life.
Really? I’m sure some people did have cancer in those days, my mum was born in 1968 and she got diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 48 so obviously it does happen. My mum says she never used to hear about cancer in those days, she didn’t even know what it was.

I feel like in those days people lived longer despite health care not being at its best. People used to make it to the age of 70/80 even 90 whereas now we barely make it to 60. I’m not expecting to get as old as 80, not since I had too many issues from the day I was born.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really? I’m sure some people did have cancer in those days, my mum was born in 1968 and she got diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 48 so obviously it does happen. My mum says she never used to hear about cancer in those days, she didn’t even know what it was.

I feel like in those days people lived longer despite health care not being at its best. People used to make it to the age of 70/80 even 90 whereas now we barely make it to 60. I’m not expecting to get as old as 80, not since I had too many issues from the day I was born.
People were stupid in the late 60s. Of course people had cancer back then.

As has already been said, cancer is naturally associated with old age. We're living longer.

I dont know what third world you live in, but dying at 60 is a young death these days. Go to any nursing home or hospital, and your average age will sit comfortably in the 80s.

Also people are living WITH cancer much longer than they ever have, so the natural prevelance of the condition at any time would therefore increase.
Last edited by Etomidate; 1 year ago
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"1930 it was expected boys born that year would reach the age of 58 while for the average expected lifespan for girls was about 62 years"

The figure is currently 81 and is still rising. There is a population which is aging more and more, which inevitably leads to an increased risk of cancer.

Idk about the rate of cancer increase in adults, but I'd say its mainly about the diagnostic equipment we now have. More than half of cancers are diagnosed at early stage in the UK, which means the survival rate is drastically increased.
Last edited by Nuttyy; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
It’s only going to get worse, more people are going to be diagnosed with more diseases.

I would actually prefer being alive in the olden days, just so you can suffer less and not get cancer (die at an early age) or you might get it and just not know you had it until you’re dead
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You're not understanding what I'm saying. People born in the late 60s are the wrong generation to compare things to. They're benefiting from modern medicine.

I'm talking about people who were in their late 60s then.

There's evidence of cancer in skeletons from Roman times. It's always been there. Any other idea is just foolish.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s only going to get worse, more people are going to be diagnosed with more diseases.

I would actually prefer being alive in the olden days, just so you can suffer less and not get cancer (die at an early age) or you might get it and just not know you had it until you’re dead
So you'd prefer to die of something that could be treated, rather than live with a chronic disease? You're mental.

I have Ulcerative colitis. A bowel disease that, with treatment, is merely chronic.

Without medication it would eventually be fatal.

You want to go back to the dark ages? Feel free. But the rest of society will think you're an idiot.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago

What a ridiculous statement. You'd rather die than be diagnosed and treated of the disease that is killing you? People would call you arrogant for not taking advantage of the medicine we have today.
Anonymous #1
So you'd prefer to die of something that could be treated, rather than live with a chronic disease? You're mental.

I have Ulcerative colitis. A bowel disease that, with treatment, is merely chronic.

Without medication it would eventually be fatal.

You want to go back to the dark ages? Feel free. But the rest of society will think you're an idiot.
Well I have things which can’t be cured. So talk all you want about the good medicine we have. Not everything can be cured.

At least those people didn’t suffer. The longer you are alive here, the worse things are going to get for you. One after the other things will happen to you. Whereas if you’re dead..well you’re dead.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At least those people didn’t suffer.
That's arrant nonsense.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You'd probably suffer more tbh, shorter life span and there were some much more deadly diseases which wiped people out fast which have now been eradicated or their prevalence is greatly reduced
pryk009
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why do so many people get cancer?

Cancer is a disease mainly of the elder population derived from the accumulation of genetic mutations (due to food, bad habit, environment or other hazardous factors). Sometimes, such mutation is passed down to our offsprings (children), thus, we have cases of infant/children with cancer or deadly mutation.

When our body is young, the immune cells normally can eliminate mutated cells, but there are situations where either the immune activity fails (due to age possibly) or the mutation the cell retained is capable to evade immune cells (thus no elimination process)

In the past, we definitely had cancer, but people died from other diseases rather than the development/progression of cancer.

Our current technology is now able to detect cancer compared to the past, but the problem is that it is now over-detected. As a result, those cancers that are asymptomatic (not generating symptoms) and slow-growing (10 years to make 2 cm of cancer cell, e.g. gastrinoma) tend to be treated.

This is not bad, but the treatments also have side effects, thus, damaging the body and there is a limit to how much we can repair/regenerate. Such treatment should not be exploited or done frequently. Therefore, the major problem of cancer is the relapse (cancer re-growing) and metastasis (spread of mutated cells).

A simple picture with an explanation:
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abo...what-is-cancer

The review article from a famous scientist:
https://reader.elsevier.com/reader/s...E245FB993F0CD6

Causes of death:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/s...ime=1990..2017
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.24%
I'm not sure (27)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.66%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.01%
I'm not a current university student (284)
47.57%

Watched Threads